Ford Tourneo Connect - fitting a 12v socket in luggage compartment - Kev Bell

I'm fitting a 12v aux power socket in the luggage compartment of a 2017 Ford Grand Torneo Connect. I will be using the blanked off hole at the rear on the right-hand side (intended for the ford optional extra 12v socket). I have pulled the rear r/h side plastic trim back and I found a spare blue/red wire taped to the wiring loom going to the rear fuse box that looks like it's more than capable of taking a 20 amp load. I got a 12v reading from the wire with the ignition switched off. I left the vehicle for over 1/2 an hour and checked the voltage again and still got 12v with the ignition off. I'm guessing that this wire is a feed to the rear fuse box for a non fitted optional extra. BTW only one side of the 12v aux power fuse is connected in the rear fuse box (i.e..only one leg to connect a fuse to) so I'm assuming the 12 aux power load side wire was not fitted.

My plan is to purchase a 12v aux power socket and connect the positive side of it to the blue/red wire via a 20 amp inline fuse and ground the connector's negative wire to the bodywork.

Can anyone tell me what the spare blue/red wire is designed for and also if there might be a problem connecting it to a 12v aux power socket? Many thanks to anyone who replies.

Edited by Kev Bell on 10/07/2018 at 18:19

Ford Tourneo Connect - fitting a 12v socket in luggage compartment - elekie&a/c doctor

Your plan looks good to me. The only issue you may have,is that on a lot of modern day cars the power socket has a "smart " circcuit which will shut off the power if the battery voltage drops below a certain level. Not sure of the exact circuit colours on these.

Ford Tourneo Connect - fitting a 12v socket in luggage compartment - Kev Bell

Many thanks for your reply. If I use this connection I'll have to remember not to leave devices plugged in for too long - thanks for the advice.