How not to write a used car ad... - Glutton
An ad spotted on the net...

"1994 CITROEN XANTIA 1.8i LX 5dr Hatchback Blue.e/w,e/sun ruff,new engen,new tyres,new batere,new cliatch,new cambell,new stereo four speakers,s/l,alarm end remuve control,full servise hystory,two ownars,long mot,four monts roll tax. 5000 miles. . . . . "

Assuming it should be 50000 instead of 5000 miles, if this was the kind of car you were after would you be more or less inclined to respond to the ad?
How not to write a used car ad... - DavidHM
Cambell? Sort of like an air horn but attached to the camshaft?

Sun ruff? An Elizabethan collar placed around the sunroof?

Roll tax? I guess Citroëns deserve this, with their soft suspension... :-)
How not to write a used car ad... - Wally Zebon
If its just had a new engen, why did it need a new cambell?

How not to write a used car ad... - CM
What's a cliatch? is it a clutch?
How not to write a used car ad... - Dynamic Dave
I think the money earnt from this sale should go toward a good spell checker.
How not to write a used car ad... - joe
I think the money earnt from this sale should go toward
a good spell checker.

Or even the money earned?
How not to write a used car ad... - eMBe {P}
Sounds like you got the ad off a Filipino or FarEast site, except it mentions an MOT - unless that means something different in this ad.

At least he has 4 monts roll tax - so you can legally roll your own without fear of the plod!

The only thing the car now needs is a new body. Perhaps a job for the guy in India who turned his Ambassador in to a Peugeot in the TV ad.

PS I think he intended the "ruff" to go with "ruff,new engen" and not "sun ruff".

ruff, ruff; here Rover, heel, sit, boy - anyone want a ruff Rover?
How not to write a used car ad... - Morris Ox
Yes, but you never get these spellings on a new C5.

(with apologies to XsaraBen, C5 owner, and all the other Citroenophiles who will now invade this thread)
How not to write a used car ad... - Altea Ego
Would that be the Zitdrone See 5?
How not to write a used car ad... - frostbite
I have noticed that on many days there are more 'Citreons' on eBay than 'Citroens'.

Puzzlingly, he got that right !
How not to write a used car ad... - Flat in Fifth
I have noticed that on many days there are more 'Citreons'
on eBay than 'Citroens'.
Puzzlingly, he got that right !

>>

not quite right! Citroëns

(I know I know nobody loves a smart ass)

Most confusing advert I ever wrote asked for best offer under a £1000. Did that puzzle em! Got £995 in the end.

How not to write a used car ad... - king arthur
Most confusing advert I ever wrote asked for best offer under
a £1000. Did that puzzle em! Got £995 in the end.

That's a goodun - I'll have to try that!
How not to write a used car ad... - Mondaywoe
Not postin......sulkin......
How not to write a used car ad... - Morris Ox
Aah diddums...only jokin' ;)
How not to write a used car ad... - THe Growler
Time out here! With 616 or so languages across 7,107 islands, the lingua franca of the Philippines is English. I promise you the average Grade 10 student, however poor his background, has as good as if not better a grasp of English than his counterpart who is the product of the glorious UK education system, and if I may say so, some of the posters here, who seem both unaware of the purposes of capital letters and punctuation, leave alone spelling.

As to the rest of the Far East, you may count Malaysia and Singapore as equally well versed. Japan and Korea not so because of their xenophobic cultures. Taiwan tries but struggles as does Indonesia. The PRC's situation needs no explanation, neither do those of Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia, where I regret to say French is still widely understood. Hong Kongers' English is also poor because of a long standing and misguided government policy on insisting Cantonese be the Territory's primary language.

As for motoring ads, peruse the contents of the ff:

www.buyandsellph.com/

...and I think you will find most of the ads match the "quality" of anything in the auto ads of the Hounslow Courier or whatever resides among the piles of irreplaceable natural afforestation that invades you letter box every day.

Now, if you'll excuse me I must get back to Roy Jenkins' biography of Churchill and the Times crossword....