MOT done in advance - Auristocrat

Got the one car booked in for service and first MOT today (25th June). MOT is due 30th June 2018. Previously I've always had the MOT done a few days in advance and retained the expiry date as being when it is due (ie 30th June 2019).

Dealership are saying with the recent changes to the MOT, the expiry date is generated by the sytem, and may be 25th June 2019 rather than 30th June 2019. So I may lose five days MOT.

I haven't seen anything that indicates this is correct, and a quick phone call to DVSA confirmed I'm right. The dealership got quite shirty when I said, quite calmly, that if the expiry date turned out to be 25th June 2019, I'll raise the issue with DVSA.

Either DVSA gave the wrong info, the system needs amending, or there is a training issue with the MOT tester.

Any thoughts?

MOT done in advance - nick62

Dealership have either been:

a) misinformed

b) don't understand the "new" rules

or

c) they are a bit thick (i.e. same as b above).

But in their defence, most government controlled stuff like this does tend to be worded such that it would confuse Shakespeare.

MOT done in advance - Bromptonaut

I suspect that recent rule changes have required a new user interface for the tester and he's missing something somewhere.

MOT done in advance - Middleman

Mine expired on 28th June 2018. Had it tested on 1st June and the new MoT expites on 28th June 2019. You can have the vehicle tested up to 30 days in advance of expiry. If you have it done before then you just get a 30 day extension. I lost a day on mine two years ago when I had to have it done 31 days early due to other committments. Nothing has changed regarding that and your garage has got it wrong.

MOT done in advance - gordonbennet

Agree, i always try and get it done a few weeks in advance, just in case something minor comes up and am able to get it sorted suitably without it being a last minute panic job.

MOT done in advance - RobJP
Everyone, do note that what you saying is correct for a not renewal, but not for a FIRST not
In a case such as this, the mot date becomes the start of the 12 month expiry.

Interestingly, if you took a 12 month old car in for an mot, when it reached 2 years old you would need to get the test done again to prevent you being in breach of the law
MOT done in advance - skidpan

Took the Caterham in for its MOT on May 29th, it expired on June 15th 2018. Car past and new MOT expires on June 15th 2019. No drama, all automatic, exactly as before new rules.

MOT done in advance - Bromptonaut
Everyone, do note that what you saying is correct for a not renewal, but not for a FIRST not In a case such as this, the mot date becomes the start of the 12 month expiry.

That's not right. Our Berlingo was registered and delivered new on 03/09/13. It was presented for first MoT on 09/08/16 and, after an inital fail for a faulty reg plate lamp which was replaced, got a cert valid until 02/09/17. It was tested again on 23/08/17 and has cert until 02/09/18.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/06/2018 at 00:34

MOT done in advance - Doc

Interestingly, if you took a 12 month old car in for an mot, when it reached 2 years old you would need to get the test done again to prevent you being in breach of the law

?? But a car does not require an MOT until it is 3 years old.

MOT done in advance - bathtub tom

You can have the vehicle tested up to 30 days in advance of expiry. If you have it done before then you just get a 30 day extension.

Are you sure, or has something changed?

When I was selling a car with only a couple of months MOT left, I decided to get it re-tested so I could sell it with a longer MOT. The new MOT expired twelve months from the date of the test.

MOT done in advance - Mike H

You can have the vehicle tested up to 30 days in advance of expiry. If you have it done before then you just get a 30 day extension.

Are you sure, or has something changed?

When I was selling a car with only a couple of months MOT left, I decided to get it re-tested so I could sell it with a longer MOT. The new MOT expired twelve months from the date of the test.

Nothing has changed, you took it in with more than 30 days left, in which case the MOT would expire 12 months from the date of the test.

MOT done in advance - Auristocrat

Picked the car up tonight. First MOT, passed, no advisories, expiry date 29th June 2019.