advice on a car - Rog46

Hi, I need some advice on potential new car. I have a budget max 16k ideally 14k. Need a diesel doing 15-20k year, automatic max 70k mileage. 5 door, descent boot space hatchback/saloon. I think an Audi /Bmw would be my preference.

My top choice is A5 hatchback 2012 onwards facelift 2.0 s line. I was thinking of alternatives eg bmw 3 Series. What would you guys suggest.

Thanks

advice on a car - SLO76
I don’t have a great deal of faith in Audi auto boxes, they’ve always been a weak point. I’d rather have a 3 series preferably one with a 6cyl Diesel up front. The 4cyl 2.0 goes well and is great on fuel but they’re known for timing chain problems as they age.

As with any complex modern car I’d look only at approved used from a main dealer and if you can’t stomach or afford to maintain it there then don’t buy it. These aren’t the most robust cars in the longterm and must be maintained properly by people with the equipment and knowledge to do it right. But they’re great to drive.

SE models would be my pick as anything with M sport suspension is a bit too firm for my tastes and the 6cyl motors are usually less trouble and they go like stink.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180326494...5

advice on a car - SLO76
Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180312449...9
advice on a car - pd

The cylinder BMW diesel engines from the same era that the 4 cylinder had problems have the same timing chain issues, in fact I think they have the exact same timing chain. They just don't come up as often because there are far fewer examples about.

advice on a car - sandy56

For that mileage the car will be worth buttons after a few years. A newish Ford Mondeo Diesel, or Peugeot 508(my choice), the VX Insignia. Throw it away after 3- 4 years.

Something different a Lexus?