Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - stuffandblah

Time to replace our diesel Passat estate, but struggling to find alternatives that we like.

I do 12k year mileage, so borderline with diesel. Looking to spend £12,000.

We want to get a trailer for camping, so has to have a bit of grunt, largish boot and comfy seats.

Tried the following:

CRV 2.2 diesel - really liked it, but couldn't get comfy.

CRV petrol (old model) - bit sluggish, again couldn't get comfy.

Civic tourer 1.6 diesel - impressed with new diesel, but noisy and seats weren't good for back.

Kia sportage 2.0 diesel - felt more car like, seats were nice, but I worry about paintwork. The one I test drove had rust (2014 plate) and paintwork looked to scratch easy where doors had been bashed into side, rather than dent. Looked at other sportage cars and others were similar with paintwork issues.

RAV4 (new shape) 2.2/2.0 diesel - haven't test driven, but has good balance of space and comfort, mpg may not be great though.

BMW 320d tourer - haven't test driven one yet, but fancy something more fun than the Passat.

The missus is getting fed up with weekend car shopping now, so need to make my mind up.

Any recommendations?

Edited by stuffandblah on 10/06/2018 at 21:08

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - bazza

We want to get a trailer for camping, so has to have a bit of grunt

Would have thought a Skoda Superb estate was the default choice here, with the 1.4 tsi engine. More than enough torque to pull a camping trailer. As comparison, we've pulled a camping trailer with a 1.6 petrol non turbo Megane and a 1.6 petrol Astra with no problems whatsoever, hardly knew it was on there. A tsi probaby has more than twice the torque of those.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - Alby Back
Depends how you define fun I suppose. A Superb would no doubt be a fine replacement for your Passat, but, fun? Well, maybe it would be, however subtle that humour might be.

If fun is stuffing it into and through corners faster than is strictly necessary, then yes, a BMW might be the answer, if fun is wafting about with a feeling quiet calm, then a Merc might fit the bill. If fun is feeling that nothing can ever go wrong, then a Toyota or a Honda could tickle your fancy. But if fun is being measured from the starting point of a Passat, then, in truth, you could have quite a lot of scope... ;-)

We want to get a trailer for camping, so has to have a bit of grunt

Would have thought a Skoda Superb estate was the default choice here, with the 1.4 tsi engine. More than enough torque to pull a camping trailer. As comparison, we've pulled a camping trailer with a 1.6 petrol non turbo Megane and a 1.6 petrol Astra with no problems whatsoever, hardly knew it was on there. A tsi probaby has more than twice the torque of those.

Had an Octavia before the passat, I think the superb may be a bit too big for us.

I much prefer the idea of a petrol, as I've had a number of diesels that have needed DMFs replaced - trade off is more tax and lower mpg, which I'm ok with. I guess going from the octavia to passat was a dissapointment - in that I got very little extra in the VW apart from quieter cabin and slightly larger space (plastic in the vw has gone down hill, in my opinion).

Re: BMW, I like the idea of a rear wheel drive, but struggled with the passat last year with the snow. Having said that, if I had some decent winter tyres it would have been ok - but who really does this for a week or two of snow?

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - bazza

Ah yes, I didn't see the "fun" bit ! In which case, how about a VRS Octavia estate, but as Alby says, depends what your definition of fun is! That would be my choice in your position.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - gordonbennet
Re: BMW, I like the idea of a rear wheel drive, but struggled with the passat last year with the snow. Having said that, if I had some decent winter tyres it would have been ok - but who really does this for a week or two of snow?

Yoo hoo, waves, yes there are some of us out there..:-)

Not getting out of my road and getting to work one way or another is simply not going to happen (personal pride of never failing to attend), especially as i start work most mornings between 4 and 6am, we now have two 4x4's, one shod with all year all terrains (snowflake marked) and one that has a separate set of winter wheels and tyres.

For most sensible cars there are perfectly decent all season tyres available, which do what they are supposed to.

When i had RWD winter tyres were always fitted in the season too.

I stand corrected :)

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - RobJP

Hiya.

RWD 2013 325d MSport touring. Set of 18" winter wheels with Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres on them.

Liiving in rural North Wales with lots of un-gritted minor lanes, the winters go in in November, and stay on until late April

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - Metropolis.
For orthopaedic seats. stick with swedish brands. Volvo would do nicely here, such as a XC60 2.4 D5. 212bhp and 40MPG!
Lots of good examples with full volvo service history around the 11-13k mark.
Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - barney100

Volvo V70d for me, handle the trailer easily, comfy, cruise all day and swallows gear.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - philhig
Subaru Outback 2.0d . Ticks all the boxes. The most reliable car I have ever owned.Comfortable quiet roomy and well equipped. Can’t understand why so few are sold in the UK.
Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - SLO76
Not sure why you’d be looking at a CRV, a Kia Sportage or a RAV4 if you’re looking for something that’s more fun than the Passat as none of these will even measure up to the big VW as a drivers car. That said they are all robust and well made. The CRV is a good big family wagon and has outstandingly low running costs in 1.6 DTEC form (£20 tax and 60mpg) plus far more pulling power than the 2.0 petrol. It’s no fun what so ever however.

I’d be looking at one of these if driver enjoyment was high on the list of wants. The diesels are known to be troublesome but the Skyactiv petrols are vice free and good on fuel. Great handling and ride plus handsome looks for a big estate seal the deal for me. It’s high on the shopping list for replacing our dull to drive CRV later in the year.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180606724...1

The Volvo V60 is another worthy as long as you avoid the soft PSA 1.6 diesels. Volvo’s own 2.0 and 2.4 diesels and the Yamaha 1.6 petrol are strong and longlived if looked after and the seats are excellent.
Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - Avant

The V60 is certainly worthy - but no fun.

I'd agree with the suggestion above of an Octavia vRS estate. As much room as a Passat, just as well equipped, and great to drive.

I'd also agree with SLO that the Mazda 6 (petrol) is worth a look. You have to rev it to get the best out of it, but if it suits your driving style, all well and good. The Octavia has lots more torque: of the three vRS estates that I had, although I liked them all, the petrol manual was the best.

Thanks all.

Going to have to keep a look out for the Mazda6 petrol as it looks quite promising.

I'll go for a test drive in the vRs, one of the reasons I got rid of my Octavia sport was due to the metal framework of the seats digging into the top of my leg (not enough padding) - not a problem on the Passat.

Edited by stuffandblah on 11/06/2018 at 14:17

Amazes me that you describe the CRV as a good ‘big’ family wagon, it’s a small crossover at best. Not bad for what it is, but definitely not a big family wagon.
Amazes me that you describe the CRV as a good ‘big’ family wagon, it’s a small crossover at best. Not bad for what it is, but definitely not a big family wagon.

You must be confused. Our Mk IV CRV is a large and very spacious SUV with far more interior space than most cars on the road and is thus a good big family wagon. If however you live in the US and are accustomed to the large barges they tend towards then fair enough. I suggest you go sit in one, they’re quite capacious.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/06/2018 at 14:41

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - skidpan

I’d be looking at one of these if driver enjoyment was high on the list of wants. The diesels are known to be troublesome but the Skyactiv petrols are vice free and good on fuel. Great handling and ride plus handsome looks for a big estate seal the deal for me.

Other than the fact that the Mazda 6 petrol is not that great to drive unless you rev the nuts off it there is another issue, its not that big inside either. Stick a spare in the boot and you loose space. Its nowhere near as big as the Octavia let alone the Superb (even the hatches are bigger). I was very disapointed when we looked.

“Other than the fact that the Mazda 6 petrol is not that great to drive unless you rev the nuts off it“

You’re getting straighline speed mixed up with driver appeal, the two don’t directly correspond. I’ve driven powerful executives and sports cars which were utterly dull to drive. Most big Jap executives and most big so called sports cars from the 90’s spring to mind. Dull and numb to drive, a basic Ford Ka with its tiny 59bhp was far more enjoyable to pilot.

You’ve got me thinking of other low powered cars that are more enjoyable to drive than their higher powered and more costly relations, often its the lower to mid spec models in the range that are the sweet spots and not the power laden top models.

Ford Focus Mk I 1.6 Zetec had a much sweeter spinning engine than the ST 170 and its steering had more feel and the handling and ride balance was better in my opinion than the much harder riding ST.

Mazda MX5 Mk I 1.6 was a far nicer combination than the heavier, more gruff and slower revving 1.8 despite its extra power.

Peugeot 306 XSi was a better hot hatch than the dearer S16.
Mitsubishi Carisma was always better in lower spec 1.6 petrol than any higher spec. It wasn’t a great handler to start with and too much power just sent the wheels spinning.
Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 GLSi was a better car than the 2.5 24v 4wd 4ws we charged a fortune more for.
Mitsubishi 3000GT was dull as dishwater on the road, I’d take a Colt GTi at half the pricd every time.
Any fast Vauxhall was totally corrupted by too much power with exception granted to the excellent Carlton GSi 24v and top Omega models which matched BM’s of their era.
Suzuki Swift Sport is a far better hot hatch than the much faster Fiat Punto Arbath turbo.
High spec Saab’s, particularly from the GM days were always overwhelmed by too much power, torque steer ruined the drive on any with more than 200bhp.

The list could go on all night but basically steering feel, a slick gearchange and a well balanced chassis that isn’t overly firm mean far far more than outright speed. The Mazda 6 strikes this balance well even if it will be a split second further back than the more powerful TSi equivalent. Not that VAG’s latest offerings are poor by any measure but Mazda are near the top of the game for handling, ride, steering feel and gearchange. Everything they’ve learned from Ford is combined with their experience in building the MX5 and shows whenever you drive any Mazda down a nice winding road.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/06/2018 at 19:22

No no. not confused. Very familiar with the CR-V. They are very efficiently packaged, that’s true, but it’s ultimately based on a Civic. Wikipedia entry, among others, classes it as a compact crossover. The HR-V and Juke are classed as sub-compact crossovers. A midsize crossover is something like a Touareg or ML class, while a full size crossover is something like a Mercedes GLS, although the lines get increasingly blurred in such a crowded marketplace. The CR-V is a very well packaged compact crossover. The fact our market doesn’t include many large crossovers/SUVs doesn’t mean they don’t exist, and not a reason to re-draw the scales to suit. My land rover is a medium sized SUV, were it unibody it’d be a midsize crossover.
Don’t get too hung up on what wiki tells you. Yes in the US market I’d Class the CRV as a compact SUV but over here it’s regarded as a size above, almost a halfway house between the likes of the Sportage and the big boys.

It’s a very handy size and genuinely huge inside, far larger than the first two gens of CRV and much bigger than the Tiguan, Sportage, RAV4, Kuga or Freelander we also looked at. I’ve owned large hatches and estates (Mondeo, Avensis, Mazda 6, Volvo etc) and the CRV is by far the largest inside, it copes very well with the needs of family life but has supermini running costs although sadly it doesn’t have a supermini price tag at the beginning.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/06/2018 at 22:06

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - badbusdriver

If you think a CR-V is a compact crossover, i'd be interested to hear what you think classifies as a large one, not to mention how you'd class a Juke (which IS a small crossover)?!

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - Engineer Andy

If you think a CR-V is a compact crossover, i'd be interested to hear what you think classifies as a large one, not to mention how you'd class a Juke (which IS a small crossover)?!

Maybe they're confused with the HR-V, which is more of that type (though still not bad in terms of internal size), like the Juke and Mazda CX-3. Easy done these days with all the different models on offer that can look quite similar.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - skidpan

Maybe they're confused with the HR-V, which is more of that type (though still not bad in terms of internal size), like the Juke and Mazda CX-3. Easy done these days with all the different models on offer that can look quite similar.

We looked at the HRV before getting the Fabia and its true to say it has really good internal space, shame they don't fit the turbo petrols used in the Civic. If they did we would have considered it more seriously.

But the Mazda CX3 and Juke are both joke cars. Both have less internal and boot space than the hatches they are based on. Cars bought for style (some must think so) instead of substance.

Volkswagen Passat Estate - Replacing Passat estate with .... - Engineer Andy

We looked at the HRV before getting the Fabia and its true to say it has really good internal space, shame they don't fit the turbo petrols used in the Civic. If they did we would have considered it more seriously.

But the Mazda CX3 and Juke are both joke cars. Both have less internal and boot space than the hatches they are based on. Cars bought for style (some must think so) instead of substance.

To be fair, the CX-3 is based on the Mazda2, not the 3, so the boot is in-between (nearer to the 3 hatch's size) unless you pick the Sport model, which you lose about 50-75 ltrs of boot space for the upgraded ICE. The interior space is almost identical to the 2 though, except for the height. I found it better to drive than the 3 (I preferred the higher driving position and the old-school handbrake), but I found the seats more comfortable and more room in the 3. If the OP is looking at a CRV then a CX-5 would be of similar size. Not cheap though, fine on performance, but no more. Shame, as with all Mazdas, their petrol engines don't really match their handling credentials.

I do agree that they missed a trick with the CX-3 as it doesn't really compete with any other cars directly and is either too small to be useful to families/those who want a decent sized boot and too expensive in comparison to alternatives for many a single person or retired couple.

The main benefits for me for the CX-3 were great handling, good looks and a wonderfully smooth TC auto box. Oh how I wish VAGs came with those instead of (IMHO) horrid DSGs...