Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - Scott Stevens

I'm going to buy a used car for approx £16k, probably from Motorpoint, and I'd prefer to pay by credit card(s). Unfortunately I'll need to spread the total cost over 2 credit cards if possible.

Just been accepted for a Santander card for £6k (0.5% cashback with 28 months intetest free) and Halifax £13k (no cashback but 0% for 30 months).

It just occurred to me, in terms of the extra protection you receive when buying a car with credit card. Which of the 2 banks would be your first port of call if there were any problems requiring their help?

Are they both equally liable or the bank (Halifax) with the largest payment takes on more/full liability.

I wonder how common it is for buyers to actually use thos kind of protection anyway?

Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - veloceman
I think you may find that few dealers will take full payment on credit card.
They get charged a percentage fee on the amount which they are now not allowed to pass on to you.

Last time I was in a dealership there was a notice stating max £500 payable by credit card. All balances to be paid by bank transfer 3 days before collection.
I guess you could offer to pay the charges.
Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - Falkirk Bairn

Motorpoint take the initial deposit on CC.

The balance was debit card only the last time I bought a car there.

You would be better to check that out before you commit to buying.

Any CC, used for say a £500 deposit, is all that is needed to make the CC jointly liable in the event of a lemon car.

Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - daveyjp
On £16k the credit card charges will be so large for the retailer, they will probably refuse.

As long as the item is over £100 even if you pay £1 by credit card you get s75 protection,

Edited by daveyjp on 24/05/2018 at 13:03

Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - Scott Stevens

Just phoned MP and they will accept CC fot the full anount and multiple cards are fine ??

They mentioned a £99 pre-delivery fee on top of the advertised price.

Pre-Delivery Fee: £99.00

You will be able to tax your new car on the day using our phone lines or a computer

Is this the fee to tell them no chance to, or is that likely to be added as well at the end?

Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - Galaxy

You only need to pay £1 by Credit Card and you are fully protected by the CC company for any amount of spending on an item costing between £100 and £30,000.

www.moneysupermarket.com/credit-cards/guide-to-cre.../

Edited by Galaxy on 24/05/2018 at 15:12

At 0% for 28-30 months I might as well stick the full amount on credit card(s)!

Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - Wee Willie Winkie

Are you sure it's 0% for purchases for that long? That sounds more like a balance transfer offer to me.

Yes I'm sure its on purchases

www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-cred...l

Hyundai Tucson - Protection when buing a used car with credit cards - Wee Willie Winkie

Fair enough...