- anogginthenog
On the Haldex clutch not figuring in the VAG/Skoda service schedule. Our 2011 Yeti's service booklet stated this requirement clearly. Our 2015 Yeti's documentation omits all mention of it. I think this has much to do with the terrible quality of Skoda UK's disorganised and badly-translated handbook and other documents, which do not improve as the years go by, plus the desire on the part of all manufacturers to play down maintenance requirements so as to pretend that cars will cost next to nothing to maintain.

In fairness I should add that our dealer was aware of the requirement to service the Haldex. As documentation gets ever more inadequate, the responsibility of the dealer to advise about necessary work grows greater.
- glidermania
After having the pristine front nearside alloy kerb by the dealer when in for a service and them not accepting responsibility, I now make service reception inspect the vehicle with me before handing over to them for work.
- Maltozo
Thanks for the 'basics' info re 'Slipscream'. Daughter and others speak so well of auto boxes but I recall my late father advising not to touch them as bad in snow/ice. Looks like little has changed?? As we are semi-retired now our Fiesta ST Line 140 stays firmly locked in the garage if there's any slippy stuff about, which we do have every now and again in North Yorkshire. Even if we needed/could justify all season wheels/tyres you also have to remember most cars and commercial vehicles etc don't which makes any perceved safety gain (as opposed to get-me-home traction) seem all but annuled. How often have you seen artics hideously out of control/lacking any traction whatsoever?...
- older motorist
Regarding how easy it is to put petrol into a diesel car, I visited a Shell station last week for V-Power petrol. I looked everywhere for the word petrol - on the pumps and signs and all across the site. All I could see was 'unleaded'. Many people have no idea what unleaded means. Why can't the word petrol be used and also why can't an artificial voice shout out the words petrol or diesel when the trigger is lifted from the pump.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 19-05-2018 - Engineer Andy
Regarding how easy it is to put petrol into a diesel car, I visited a Shell station last week for V-Power petrol. I looked everywhere for the word petrol - on the pumps and signs and all across the site. All I could see was 'unleaded'. Many people have no idea what unleaded means. Why can't the word petrol be used and also why can't an artificial voice shout out the words petrol or diesel when the trigger is lifted from the pump.

...because if a MOTORIST doesn't know what the difference between 'diesel' and 'unleaded' (petrol) is (and which has different coloured pump nozzle ends), then they DESERVE to misfuel their vehicle. Its either stupidy, ignorance or sheer laziness that leads to misfueling. Why should filling stations (and thus everyone else, as they'll pass on the cost 100%) pay for expensive devices etc just to placate idiots and lazy so-and-so's?

- Eudo H.
Re: Slipscream

Funny this; I seem to remember, when but a strapling, taking a ride on my uncle's DKW 93, a marvelous two-stroke engined German car of the late 50s. I recall he
was very fond of his Liebling's ability to freewheel at the switch of a lever!
Saab 93 - Dkw 93 you say? Surely a coincidence.
Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 19-05-2018 - BPL

heinkelscooter.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/the-ursaab.h...l

Honest John's Motoring Agony Column 19-05-2018 - Eudo H.

Like a great sleuth, you do not believe in coincidences. Thanks!

- jchinuk
Regarding key fobs, I'm not (nor ever have been) as protective as you of my key fobs, they share a key ring with the security lock key and St.Christopher, but you can get rubber covers that slip over the fob and protect it from knocks, around £1-2 on eBay. The switches are still usuable.
- Eudo H.
Re: Slipscream

Please correct my text as follows: when but a stripling,.
My sincere apologies.

Eudo H.
- expertad
It is part of Dealer standards to inspect the car with the customer when coming in for a service.It has been for the last ten years at the BMW dealer where I work,and my friend at the Dacia dealer over the road.I takes two minutes to check for damage.You and the customer sign a form/I pad.Simple.If they don't,the Service Advisor is not doing their job properly.