VW High Top Campervan - Hire Car Damage Claim - Tink18

Hi All,

I was just after a bit of advice. I've taken a campervan hire company to small claims over a damage dispute. Long and short of it is that the company are claming there is damage to the roof and withheld my deposit. The roof was not included in either pre or post inspection, due to the height of the van a standard visual inspection was impossible, I was not offered any ladders and the check out document was signed off as 'all good' with no damage recorded other than a window chip. The business then carried out an inspection, using a ladder, 24 hours post my returning the van and notified me they were witholding my money. When I asked for all the documentation the inspection document had been adapted with simply 'Lines???' as a drawing.

The case has already been seen by a judge, there was a mix up with dates so I couldn't attend or the business owner, but I heard the judge said she wanted to speak to us both because the hire business has submitted a witness statement from a garage saying on the morning I picked up the van they carried out a service and inspected the roof and it was fine?

Can this genuinely be considered as evidence? Why would they inspect the roof for a service? But more than that, the inspection wasn't in my presence, either the prior one at the garage, or the one when the apparant damage was discovered. The garage inspection was also carried out at a different location to where I picked the van up from? But most of all the inspection sheet, notes no damage other than the addition of the lines? drawing?

Thanks all in advance

VW High Top Campervan - Hire Car Damage Claim - Palcouk

If on return the vehicle was inspected and signed off as all good, it would be doubtfull that they would be able to claim at a later date that is was damaged.

In any case you returned the vehicle and your deposit should have been returned at that time, whether by cash or card, and if card are you now saying that they made a 'reverse charge' on their depsit payment? - and if that was the case you should have contacted the card provider, at the time.

Edited by Palcouk on 10/05/2018 at 16:43

VW High Top Campervan - Hire Car Damage Claim - concrete

This is a nightmare scenario. Your word against theirs effectively. I agree that if the roof was not inspected or the condition was not noted in your presence then thay should find it difficult to claim for damage later. I suspect this could be a regular little 'earner' for them and most people would just pay up. I take it you are honest enough to admit if you had damaged the roof, even unintentionally. In that case the judge will have to decide. The evidence and inspection documents are pretty straight forward. The lack of roof inspection in your presence goes against them. The rather fortunate appearance of a 'witness' is remarkable. Hopefully the judge will have seen many a falsehood told in court and be able to spot them. It may come down to a beauty contest, the judge finds that you are a more reliable witness than they are. Hope you win through. Let us know the outcome please.

Good luck. Cheers Concrete

VW High Top Campervan - Hire Car Damage Claim - focussed

Back in the 1990's I was scammed by a trailer hire company in much the same way.

I hired a four-wheel box trailer which had one of those very thin, flimsy ,translucent fibre-glass roofs.

I loaded it with some equipment to take it to a show I was exhibiting at, I towed it there and back. On the way back the roof became detached and peeled back and disappered into the ditch in pieces.

Looking at the joint where the the front of the roof joined the front panel it was a mass of mastic and random pop rivets from a previous repair which had failed.

I took it back and complained and they said I had caused it by driving under some low trees- I know I didn't because there weren't any !

They just took the cost of a new roof from my credit card which I had used to book the hire.

Be very careful with hiring anything - photos before and after!