motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Bilboman

In a recent car review, the writer mentioned the so-called "parcel shelf" fitted to the SUV he was testing, which, of course, has never borne a parcel. Which got me thinking of all the antiquated and sometimes weird names we continue to use for interesting (or mundane) parts of a car.
Has anyone actually stored gloves in a glovebox - and how many cars have sidelights at the side? Mirrors migrated from the wings long ago and there surely hasn't been a fan driven by a belt since the threepenny bit went out of circulation. No doubt an engineer can explain what a throttle does, and whether cars actually have one. Handbrakes are sadly not long for this world, I fear. The quaintest term of all, though, must be "dashboard"; which was originally "a barrier of wood or leather fixed at the front of a horse-drawn carriage...to protect the driver from mud or other debris "dashed up" (thrown up) by the horses' hooves".

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - galileo

There are stil some fans driven by a belt on fore-and aft engines. on the Dodge Ram for one: several BMWs also had viscous/temperature sensing fan couplings (I worked on a project to develop these gadgets some years ago).

I would imagine belt drive is more common than electric for heavy commercials, their fans can take 20+ bhp to run.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - craig-pd130

INo doubt an engineer can explain what a throttle does, and whether cars actually have one.

Good thread :)

I'm not an engineer but the term 'throttle' is actually quite accurate, in that it describes a flap or slide either in the carburettor or inlet system which physically 'throttles' (i.e. restricts) the inlet of the engine. So the 'throttle pedal' is the pedal which controls the movement of the throttling device.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Leif
And of course on a BMW there is a device called an indicator, some claim to know what it’s purpose was but no one can agree ... :)
motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Tester

I thought that they were optional extras that most people just didn't see any point in specifying ... !

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - TheGentlemanThug

Isn't that Audi drivers? ;)

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - RaineMan

Isn't that Audi drivers? ;)

My understanding is that in recent years Audi have deleted indicator and dip switches. Also I was recently told that 30% iof drivers do not know what the blue warning light on the dashboard means. I suspect this rises to 70% of those on the school run!

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Andrew-T

Never mind the mirrors, when did vehicles have wings? Or bonnets, boots, scuttles or fenders (to take an American example). Radiators don't actually radiate, they are more of a heat exchanger.

Many names for all kinds of things can be plucked out of the air, and just get stuck.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - John F

The beauty of English is that when things become commonplace they rapidly acquire a mono or at most disyllabic name in common parlance, e.g. car, dash, rad, air con. Thank goodness German, once the key scientific European language, no longer has to be learned. E.g. Zahnrad, (literally toothed wheel) but simply cog in English. Or the possibly apochryphal story of a tank, or 'sturmpanzerwagen' called a Schützengrabenvernichtungspanzerkraftwagen.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - oldroverboy.

The beauty of English is that when things become commonplace they rapidly acquire a mono or at most disyllabic name in common parlance, e.g. car, dash, rad, air con. Thank goodness German, once the key scientific European language, no longer has to be learned. E.g. Zahnrad, (literally toothed wheel) but simply cog in English. Or the possibly apochryphal story of a tank, or 'sturmpanzerwagen' called a Schützengrabenvernichtungspanzerkraftwagen.

Which is why I am glad I had a french reacher at school!

<< I am glad I had a french reacher at school >>

Now that is an interesting concept - tell us more ....

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Engineer Andy

Which is why I am glad I had a french reacher at school!

...and you were doing so well up until that point.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Sofa Spud

Motoring journalists still talk about the chassis when the majority of modern cars don't have one. For example, they might say the car has 'very taught handling due to the very stiff chassis' when it doesn't have any chassis!

Also people talk about a car's DNA, when cars clearly don't have any DNA.

... they might say the car has 'very taught handling due to the very stiff chassis' when it doesn't have any chassis!

The handling will have been taught by that French reacher .... ?

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Bianconeri

Motoring journalists still talk about the chassis when the majority of modern cars don't have one. For example, they might say the car has 'very taught handling due to the very stiff chassis' when it doesn't have any chassis!

French, German or English teacher?
motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - Avant

"I am glad I had a french reacher at school."

Quite normal in France. Over here, if a teacher (of either sex) has it off with a teenage pupil, they' re sacked and prosecuted. In France the teacher can end up as wife of the president.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - KJP 123

Motoring journalists still talk about the chassis when the majority of modern cars don't have one.

Agreed, maybe the Morgan and some 4x4s but the last in Europe must have been something based on the Triumph Herald and in the USA the Ford Crown Victoria.

For example, they might say the car has 'very taught handling due to the very stiff chassis' when it doesn't have any chassis!

It’s only bad phraseology: VW’s, Audi’s, Seat’s and Skoda’s all share the same underlying structure: it’s only the outer panels that differ. Change chassis to floorplan.

Of course they don’t. People are just using it as shorthand for its origin or family connection.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - FP

"Change chassis to floorplan."

I thought a floorplan was what buildings have.

motoring misnomers - where's my thingamajig? - hillman

Diverging... I once had a Volvo 440 that had a disconcerting way of starting the fan to cool an engine that was not obviously over-hot when I parked the car. I was being taken around a National Trust property when an indignent gentleman stopped the party and asked me to switch off my car engine. I explained about the fan and it's automatic starting but he was not molified until I went out and listened with him to a silent car. (The fan had meanwhile stopped). That fan was obviously not driven by a belt.