Replace the Civic CTDi 1.7 with what? - Circle-L-Civic

My 2004 Civic needs to be replaced at 333,000 miles after 14 years of ownership. Great car and still going but has just been written off after an accident.

What should I get next? I have a budget of around £8,000. I use this as a commuter car only, Monday to Friday. Covering 550 miles per week.

Just me in the car - could be small to medium sized, bigger if it's still economical.

Edited by Circle-L-Civic on 17/04/2018 at 21:15

Replace the Civic CTDi 1.7 with what? - RobJP

25-30k miles per annum puts you firmly into diesel territory, but the budget means a fair bit of caution required.

Hyundai i20 or i30 diesel possibly ? You could get one with a decent amount of warranty cover remaining for your price.

The problem with modern diesels, however, is that sooner or later the DPF is going to clog up, and need (relatively) expensive repairs.

Replace the Civic CTDi 1.7 with what? - badbusdriver

Obvious choice would be another civic, such as this

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180407531...1

They don't seem to be as afflicted by emissions trouble as some, and your mileage certainly suggests going diesel again.

Replace the Civic CTDi 1.7 with what? - SLO76
Not much wrong with going for another Civic as bbd says.

The 1.6 DTEC is the newer more refined of the two engines and it’s less likely to have DPF issues. Plenty of go, loads of space, free road tax, 70mpg and should be fit for another 300k if looked after. Only weak point is the clutch. Drive it from cold to check for judder. Dealers have the best of them and it’s well worth paying that extra £500 or so for an approved used example, the excellent Honda warranty is worth it alone but main dealer stock is almost always of a higher standard than general used stuff.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/04/2018 at 22:45

Thanks for your rely -

Do you think that the strength of the more efficient 1.6L engines in compromised to achieve the extra efficiency, compared to the earlier 2.2L engine?

Thanks for your rely -

Do you think that the strength of the more efficient 1.6L engines in compromised to achieve the extra efficiency, compared to the earlier 2.2L engine?

Don't really understand this question, however if longevity is what you are enquiring about, see previous answer by SLO. He is an ex motor trader and currently runs a Honda with that engine.

Don't really understand this question, however if longevity is what you are enquiring about, see previous answer by SLO. He is an ex motor trader and currently runs a Honda with that engine.

Sorry for the confusion. I thought I read somewhere that the 1.6 engines achieved their extra efficiency because of their lighter weight. I'm wondering if this would make them any less tough.

It’s smaller, lighter and more efficient and is Honda’s second diesel design (your 1.7 is an Isuzu motor) and was built using what they’ve learned from the earlier 2.2 and any issues it’s suffered from over the years. It’s not a particularly high output motor for its size and I haven’t as yet heard of any problems with it. It is still relatively young but there are quite a few Civics serving as taxis and few signs that they’re not coping. It should be fine.
Replace the Civic CTDi 1.7 with what? - Bolt

Thanks for your rely -

No, i and 2 friends have the 1.6 diesel and in our opinion their isnt much between them apart from fuel consumption, my old 2.2 was doing in region of 45mpg in town, the 1.6 is over 50 depending on weather, on a run over 70mpg

my salesman friends get better than me as they drive on the motorway most of the day and has recorded 80mpg+, my calculation is made from fill up to fill up so not sure if my friends is as acccurate as mine, bearing in mind I live in a hilly area so consumption will be higher than a flat area....

good motor though, I was going to replace it this year but decided to keep for another 5 years possibly more as Honda will not be making another estate version civic, so I`ve been told!

Thank you badbusdriver, SLO76 and bolt.

badbusdriver - I have bought the Civic you linked to in your first post.

SLO76 and bolt - I am looking forward to seeing what the fuel consumption is like. To this day, my Circle-L engine achieves over 70mpg winter and around 80mpg summer on my daily commute according to the trip computer (tested at the pump a couple of times for comparison). My record was 96mpg on a hot sumer morning over the 55 miles to work. Book figure was combined 56, so if the official figures follow suit, the 1.6 will get me around 100 ?!

I also like the tourer... the current one too, but over my budget and probably not necessary for what I use the car for.

Cheers!

Glad to hear it, i hope it serves you well for the next 14 years!

You didn’t hang around! Good car, well bought. See you in ten years and another 250,000 miles.

I thought I'd report back after the first week to let you know how it's going with the new Civic...

Seems like I got a good one (so far). It has all service documentation, from new from Honda and has only had one previous owner.

I pulled into the driveway last Friday in the old Civic, with the mileage at 333333, so a good time to end it's life... picked up the new car on Sunday.

It''s comfortable and is getting good MPG. I've reset the trip odometer each day and recorded over 90 mpg after each - best being 95 on the hottest day; Monday.

But that's with me trying quite hard - I recon it'll be a good 15 MPG over the old Civic at this time of year.

I thought I'd report back after the first week to let you know how it's going with the new Civic...

Seems like I got a good one (so far). It has all service documentation, from new from Honda and has only had one previous owner.

I pulled into the driveway last Friday in the old Civic, with the mileage at 333333, so a good time to end it's life... picked up the new car on Sunday.

It''s comfortable and is getting good MPG. I've reset the trip odometer each day and recorded over 90 mpg after each - best being 95 on the hottest day; Monday.

But that's with me trying quite hard - I recon it'll be a good 15 MPG over the old Civic at this time of year.

Hondas best is 103 mpg in the 9th gen, and in the guinness book of records I gather, should be on youtube as well....

I did manage an average of 74mpg on a trip in our CRV once while really trying and probably p***ing off every other driver on the road but it’s a fantastically efficient engine. Even with my heavy footed wife at the wheel it’s hard to get less than 50mpg even in local driving which is outstanding in a large SUV.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/04/2018 at 01:21

I did manage an average of 74mpg on a trip in our CRV once while really trying and probably p***ing off every other driver on the road but it’s a fantastically efficient engine. Even with my heavy footed wife at the wheel it’s hard to get less than 50mpg even in local driving which is outstanding in a large SUV.

In my old 2.2 driving in town I was filling up every week, in the 9th gen tourer I fill up every 2 weeks doing the same mileage, and part of the reason I`m keeping it

their new unit aparently has had emmisions reduced by 8% but the economy is the same

their new unit aparently has had emmisions reduced by 8% but the economy is the same

Apparently the figures are more or less the same (slightly higher) but the tests have been changed to provide more "realistic" results - so in theory the economy should be noticeably better. If I don't get a 9g tourer, I'll get one of those next!