Car Recommendation - Harry TT

Hi All, I have really been struggling to find my next car of choice which I intend to keep for the next few years. I want it to be slightly luxurious, no bigger than medium sized, ideally an automatic (but no biggie), petrol, and more importantly have all the extra such as pano roof, heated seats and sensors or reverse camera. Honestjohn recommended a Kia Venga/ Hyundai IX20 but are there anymore recommendations? Something more luxury feel?

Car Recommendation - skidpan

Perhaps a little more info would help us.

How old

How much

Car Recommendation - SLO76
Budget £2k or £20k?
What typical use will it see, mostly local running or distance?
How many miles will it do in a year?
How much space do you need?
Do you enjoy driving or is a car simply an appliance to get from A to B? Meaning are handling and steering feel important to you? Is ride comfort a priority?
How long do you intend on keeping it?
Are you willing to shell out for dealer maintenance or do you intend on running it on a shoestring?

101 questions I know but all required to offer worthwhile options.

apologies = budget is upto £10k and hope the roadtax and insurance group and fuel economy is reasonable

mainly local use

it will do about 6000 miles a yr

only occasionally it will have 5 people in it so space isn't a biggie

I currently drive a toyota aygo 2008 so ride comfort isn't a priority. I just use it to get from A to B

I hope to keep it for 3-4 years

I'd prefer to do maintenance myself and hope the risk pays off

Also I would want it to be less than 10 years old. Thanks :)

To use 2 of our recent cars as examples:

Seat Leon 1.4 TSi.

You will get one within your budget, road tax £30, insurance was under £200 and it averaged 45 mpg over 4 years.

We averaged about 6500 miles a years with mostly local miles

5 people fitted when needed

Ride very comfortable

DIY, are you feeling lucky?

Nissan Note 1.2 DIG-S

Easilly get one within ypur budget, road tax £0, insurance under £200, has averaged almost 50mpg for 3 years

Averaged anout 8,000 miles a year for 3 years, mostly local.

5 people easilly fit

Ride very comfortable

DIY, are ypu feeling lucky

Leon is without doubt the better car but the Note does have its advantages (shorter but just as spaceous).

Forget Auto for both, Leon has the potentially troublesome DSG and Note the horrid CVT. Both have smooth clutches and light accuarate changes so no hardship.

Also I would want it to be less than 10 years old. Thanks :)

£10k should get you a 2 or 3 year old Leon or a one year old Note (would still have 2 years manufacturers warranty).

Thanks for the recommendation. I prefer the look of the Leon over the Note but a friend has a Leon on lease and although it looks nice, internally it looks pretty standard. I'll check to see if they do have the heated seats option. I am a fan of the VW group but had been put off with the tsi engines issues I've read about. Right I'll start searching on autotrader and see if I can find a nice top spec Leon.

am a fan of the VW group but had been put off with the tsi engines issues I've read about.

The problems with TSi engines were with the pre 2013 1.2 and 1.4 ones (especially the twin charge ones) which had chain driven cams. Mk3 Leons (from March 2013) had a brand new 1.2 and 1.4 engine which has belt drive cams, I have yet to read of an issue.

One thing to remember, rthe cam belt needs changing every 5 years or 120,000 miles max thus the 2013 cars will be due soon, budget £400 at a Seat dealer.

The Toyota Auris can be had as a 1.8 Hybrid CVT with panoramic roof for about £11k. Reliable and robust, it’s longlived, comfortable and well made if a bit dated inside. The less complex 1.2 turbo can be had in the facelifted later models with a nicer interior and a CVT plus panoramic roof again but the cheapest I could find with everything you want was the very useful estate which holds its money better. There’s more options if you accept a manual gearbox and no see through roof though.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180228415...9

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180404521...5

The Yaris can also be had with a CVT box and panoramic roof for your budget. A step up from your current car but not as refined as the Auris. Honda Civic 1.8 auto is another worthy which rarely goes wrong.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171122146...9

Edited by SLO76 on 16/04/2018 at 13:05

I'm not so keen on the toyota's because they do look dated from inside although the hybrids do have most of the gizmos . I want something with a premium feel..although its rare to find a care in my spec and make me feel like I'm sat in a Jaguar.

Hard to find one with the panoramic roof but these are tough and offer a bit of class. Ride can be a bit firm depending on spec and wheel size however so try properly before you buy.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180323484...6

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180316464...4

Good shout! I will definitely consider it but only worry would be the resale value in a few years

Good shout! I will definitely consider it but only worry would be the resale value in a few years

They’ve a good reputation for reliability and running costs are low for the type of car it is. It’ll always sell despite fears over battery pack life. No DPF to worry about and the market is turning away from diesels so I don’t think there’s a nightmare waiting in the wind for these. It’s a good sensible option though I’d personally have a newer facelifted Auris or a Civic in your shoes. We all have different tastes however.

does the lexus use the same hybrid and petrol system as the auris hybrid? I was getting tempted into diesel because of the lower road tax but thanks to your DPF reminder, I need to stick with petrol/ hybrid

does the lexus use the same hybrid and petrol system as the auris hybrid? I was getting tempted into diesel because of the lower road tax but thanks to your DPF reminder, I need to stick with petrol/ hybrid

Same engine and transmission as the 1.8 Prius and Auris. Quick search online will show tonnes of mega mile Prius ex taxis all over the globe to testify on its robustness.
Car Recommendation - barney100

Mercedes C class would be high on my list, £10 should get a good one with a warranty. 1.8 petrol would suit by he sound ofit.

Car Recommendation - Avant

An Audi A3, VW Golf or Volvo V40 would tick your boxes. Audis and VWs hold their value better than Volvos (perhaps wrongly) so you'll get a newer V40 for your £10k.

On the other hand the 1.4 TSI engine in the A3 or Golf (or indeed Skoda Octavia or SEAT Leon) is much nicer than the adequate but unexciting Volvo petrol.

An Audi A3, VW Golf or Volvo V40 would tick your boxes. Audis and VWs hold their value better than Volvos (perhaps wrongly) so you'll get a newer V40 for your £10k.

On the other hand the 1.4 TSI engine in the A3 or Golf (or indeed Skoda Octavia or SEAT Leon) is much nicer than the adequate but unexciting Volvo petrol.

If OP was willing to forget the automatic gearbox I’d agree but both of these use rather trouble prone automated manuals. Ford’s Powershift in the Volvo and VW’s DSG in the rest. If auto is a must I’d steer well clear as a used buy.

auto isn't a must so I can go with a manual..but do the majority of petrol cars still have single mass flywheels?

I'd prefer to avoid paying the extortionate price of a clutch and flywheel as I'll be buying a used car so there is a chance I will have to replace it within the 3-4 yrs of ownership.

Car Recommendation - corax

auto isn't a must so I can go with a manual..but do the majority of petrol cars still have single mass flywheels?

I think that most petrols have dual mass flywheels but they are nowhere near as stressed as diesels so they last a long time.

I was surprised to learn that my old '98 BMW 325 petrol had a dual mass flywheel. If there was ever a car that didn't need one, it must be that - such a smooth engine. I wonder if they fit them to standardise parts and keep the cost down.

I think there's some confusion about Volvo automatcs. Below is an extract from a Volvo V40 user manual: I think, if he's interested in an automatic V40, Harry should check which gearbox it has. I'd thought that the current V40 was a recent enough design not to owe anything to Ford.

Automatic gearbox - Geartronic*

An automatic gearbox with Geartronic differs from an automatic gearbox with Powershift, in that it has a hydraulic torque converter that transfers power from engine to gearbox. It has two different gear modes - Automatic and Manual.

As far as I am concerned there is only one thing wrong with Volvo petrols and that is the simple fact the dealers I have tried in the past do not sell them. If you have actually driven one it must be minor miracle.

When I did a search for a dealer with a V60 petrol to test drive in October/November 2016 the nearest was 140 miles away. When I spoke to them they would not gaurantee it would be on site when I arrived.

I was interested in the Volvo since on paper it looked quite exciting, over 190 PS and 230 torques, should have been much better than the 150 PS Skoda with only 184 torques.

I think there's some confusion about Volvo automatcs. Below is an extract from a Volvo V40 user manual: I think, if he's interested in an automatic V40, Harry should check which gearbox it has. I'd thought that the current V40 was a recent enough design not to owe anything to Ford.

Automatic gearbox - Geartronic*

An automatic gearbox with Geartronic differs from an automatic gearbox with Powershift, in that it has a hydraulic torque converter that transfers power from engine to gearbox. It has two different gear modes - Automatic and Manual.

Later cars and larger engined Volvo’s don’t I believe use the Powershift box but at this price it’s likely most will have it, certainly most V40’s. Some confusion here so you do need to verify first. Great car in petrol manual form though rare.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/04/2018 at 22:03

Car Recommendation - daveyK_UK

Go for a Honda Civic

Reliable, easy to sell in 4 years, magic seats, funky design, economical

"As far as I am concerned there is only one thing wrong with Volvo petrols and that is the simple fact the dealers I have tried in the past do not sell them. If you have actually driven one it must be a minor miracle."

Miracle achieved last week, greatly to my surprise. I had the V60 serviced and the loan car was a manual petrol V60. The handling was much more responsive than mine and the engine livelier, although I'm not sure to what extent that was due to its being a petrol or a manual. Perhaps a bit of both: also the petrol engine is I presume lighter than the diesel lump.

The salesman told me that they're selling more smaller Volvos as petrols, but the big car buyers are still going for diesels.

For info - Yeovil Volvo - both sales and aftersales - are one of the best garages I've ever dealt with.

Miracle achieved last week, greatly to my surprise. I had the V60 serviced and the loan car was a manual petrol V60. The handling was much more responsive than mine and the engine livelier, although I'm not sure to what extent that was due to its being a petrol or a manual. Perhaps a bit of both: also the petrol engine is I presume lighter than the diesel lump.

I am pretty sure that when Volvo divorced themselves form Ford and introduced their own 2 litre engines they were disigned to share major castings/components between diesels and petrols as well as the various power specs. Main difference was the size and number of turbos which determine output instead of cc's and cylinders.

Car Recommendation - Engineer Andy

"As far as I am concerned there is only one thing wrong with Volvo petrols and that is the simple fact the dealers I have tried in the past do not sell them. If you have actually driven one it must be a minor miracle."

The salesman told me that they're selling more smaller Volvos as petrols, but the big car buyers are still going for diesels.

For info - Yeovil Volvo - both sales and aftersales - are one of the best garages I've ever dealt with.

Sounds like one for HJ's 'Good Garage Guide'...

Car Recommendation - SteveLee

As you don't mind a German-like lumpy ride - if you want value, toys and a nice interior, you'll get a lot of Citroen DS4 for £10K - probably a three year old one. The petrols have real torque converter auto boxes too.

Car Recommendation - badbusdriver

As you don't mind a German-like lumpy ride - if you want value, toys and a nice interior, you'll get a lot of Citroen DS4 for £10K - probably a three year old one. The petrols have real torque converter auto boxes too.

You sure about that Steve?, as far as i can tell all the 'auto' versions of the DS4 use the EGS6 or EAT6 gearbox, which are automated manual.

You sure about that Steve?, as far as i can tell all the 'auto' versions of the DS4 use the EGS6 or EAT6 gearbox, which are automated manual.

I thought the EAT6 (rebadged Alsin AWF6F25) was a torque convertor auto - could be wrong - probably am! :-) Apologies if that's the case.

I thought the EAT6 (rebadged Alsin AWF6F25) was a torque convertor auto - could be wrong - probably am! :-) Apologies if that's the case.

After having done some research (it is surprisingly difficult to find out), it seems you may be right. I have found a few points of reference which indicate that the EAT6 is indeed a 'compact' torque converter auto and not, as i thought, an automated manual. Certainly HJ himself seems to be under no confusion re what type of gearbox it is with this response to a question of whether or not the EAT6 was any good and if it is a 'true auto gearbox' (torque converter),

"Yes. Compact torque converter. Brilliantly matched to the 230Nm of the 1.2 Puretech 130 motor. Great to drive one or two up. Can't say what it's like fully laden."

So it is me due the apologies!

I'm still struggling with a car to choose. I nearly bought a 2015 Mazda 2 but backed out because I saw the luxury interior of a BMW 3 GT and felt rather peasanty in a Mazda 2. Which decent petrol car (not too long dimensions wise) has a premium feel to it. Even the top of the range seat Leon doesn't do it for me so I might have to choose between an A3/ A class/ 1 series but I don't particulary like any of them.

Essential

Leather seats, reverse sensor, decent dimension size, reasonable insurance group, MPG and VED

Desirable

Pano Roof, reverse camera, front sensors, petrol or no DPF if diesel,

Leather seats essential?,

really?

:)

if i do end up buying a car before the weather plummets again, I might live to regret it
Car Recommendation - SteVee

I did see a very nice Honda Civic 9thGen / 2012 with all that you specify (it was a TC auto). it was priced at 11500, which was too much for me for a 6 year old car, despite having just 21k miles. Probably one of the most reliable and well equiped - I wish the interior was lighter or had other colours.

I'm still struggling with a car to choose. I nearly bought a 2015 Mazda 2 but backed out because I saw the luxury interior of a BMW 3 GT and felt rather peasanty in a Mazda 2. Which decent petrol car (not too long dimensions wise) has a premium feel to it. Even the top of the range seat Leon doesn't do it for me so I might have to choose between an A3/ A class/ 1 series but I don't particulary like any of them.

Essential

Leather seats, reverse sensor, decent dimension size, reasonable insurance group, MPG and VED

Desirable

Pano Roof, reverse camera, front sensors, petrol or no DPF if diesel,

It's probably poor web etiquette to make the same suggestion twice - but really, humour me - go and look at a DS4 - you want toys and a modern quality looking interior - check, cheap running costs and VED – check, or do you really just want a German badge to impress the neighbours but don’t want to admit it? :) £10k will buy you an under 3 year old example but you will have to spend £11K to get a good choice of petrol models. (well actually, just offer them 10K for the 11K car - 8 out of 10 times they'll take it.)