Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - rustbucket

B-Max

Titanium

Ecoboost

125 BHP

October 2017

Battery fitted as new Varta EFB 60 A/hr CCA 560 Amps.

Various forums have highlighted the B-Max start/stop and various problems with front rear windscreen not working.

So I thought I would do a few simple tests.

1 Charged battery to 100% charge with smart charger, this came down to 95% held overnight after battery rested.

2 Went on 22 mile trip with NO start/stop enabled, NO lights, NO front or rear windscreen heater on. In fact only the radio on.

3 Monitored the voltage, after start battery charged with 14.7 volt from the vehicle alternator shortly dropped off to 13 volts then sat at 12.3 volts only time voltage moved to 14.7 volts was when regenrative braking kicked in – (when foot taken off accelerator).

4 Ran B-Max for 3weeks with NO start /stop and minimal other drain on system and the above was repeated-did not re charge battery with smart charger-just let car take care of charging.

5 My conclusion is that the B-Max only ever maintains the battery at 12.3 volts, about 60-70% of full charge. Then gradually decays to a charge of 12.2 volts approx. 50 % of full charge depending on type of use – short journeys, front /rear windscreen heater or start stop used. I appreciate if the battery is too low the vehicle disables these functions.

I have never been unable to start vehicle so battery is adequate but think not much reserve for multiple starts. And possibly contributes to shortening the life of the battery.

Any comments from other owners of makes of vehicle.

Rustbucket

Edited by rustbucket on 15/04/2018 at 14:33

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - madf

Monitored the voltage, after start battery charged with 14.7 volt from the vehicle alternator shortly dropped off to 13 volts then sat at 12.3 volts only time voltage moved to 14.7 volts was when regenrative braking kicked in – (when foot taken off accelerator).

Battery was fully charged, no current demand, alternator stopped charging so voltage measured = normal battery voltage.

I fail to see what the issue is. "I have never been unable to start vehicle" so nothing wrong.

The point is the battery is not fully charged at 12.3 volts, the B-max charging sensing circuit which is incorporated in the negative battery cable located adjacent to the negative battery terminal thinks it is fully charged. This is dictated to by firmware I believe.

I know the battery is not fully charged by the vehicle cos after the battery is rested my battery analyser indicates approx 60% at 12.3 volts. It is only fully charged from the smart charger.

The only issue is that not charging the battery to near 100% by the vehicle will probably shorten the life of the battery unecessarily. I posted this in the hope of a discussion and not that I had a starting problem.

Edited by rustbucket on 15/04/2018 at 22:27

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - daveyjp
My thoughts? It is now too easy to get lots of info from vehicles and use it to over analyse and identify a problem where none exists.

5 years in a Mercedes B class stop start vehicle, 3years with an A class stop start, almost 3 years with a Subaru stop start.

About 100,000 miles in largely urban areas where stop start is used a lot.

Amount of times I assessed battery charge level? None. Number of batteries replaced? None.

Stop analysing, use the car and enjoy it.

Edited by daveyjp on 15/04/2018 at 22:48

My thoughts? It is now too easy to get lots of info from vehicles and use it to over analyse and identify a problem where none exists.

Actually a problem does exhist as undercharging causes sulphation and shortens the life of the battery and unecessary expense in replacing the battery.

You may not have had to replace a battery in the last 5 years but there has been plenty of examples where some batteries in this situation have lasted only a year or two.

Edited by rustbucket on 16/04/2018 at 14:57

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - skidpan

Using a good voltmeter measure the voltage across the battery terminals before starting the car after it has stood overnight. In my experience it should be 12.7 or 12.8 with a heathy battery. 12.5 volts and it would not start the car, simple as that.

But the fact you appear to be having no issues with starting or anything else I would suggest your only issues could be inaccurate meter or simple over analysing.

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - elekie&a/c doctor

Testing a smart charge system on a modern car needs more than just a voltmeter and the result of a battery charger. I would be looking at testing the battery with a conductance tester and then interogating the power management system with suitable diagnostic equipment.

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - Railroad.

Two things.

1. Ford recommend that a calcium type battery is used on vehicles with smart charging systems. You will have problems if you use a lead acid battery. The ECM controls the alternator output depending on the load placed upon it. If the battery charge state is good then the charging rate will be reduced. Makes sense as this ultimately reduces load on the engine when high electrical load isn't required.

2. If your vehicle has a Battery Energy Management system you must enter the battery information into the BEM controller using suitable diagnostic equipment. If you do not then the system will not know how to correctly manage the battery, and again you will have problems. I'd contact your Ford dealer for the correct advice.

Edited by Railroad. on 18/04/2018 at 10:54

The battery fitted from new is an EFB (new vehicle registered October 2017).

The hand book with the car says for fitting a new battery just disconnect old one after waiting for the system to shut down, ignition off. Fit new battery and set up stations on the radio. No mention of anything else.

My concern is battery never charges to anything higher than approx 60 % on the vehicle, will charge to 100% from a smart charger. 60 % will probably shorten the battery life, but as the engine is not putting power into recharge the battery to 100% its probably done for economy reasons.

This on several other forums has also been mentioned re the charge of only approx 50-60%.

I wonder if other vehicle makes do similar tricks to improve economy?

Edited by rustbucket on 18/04/2018 at 17:21

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - Perfection

Hi...

I had posted similar concern a few weeks ago with regards to battery charging voltage and terminal voltage measured after over night on a Honda jazz.

My initial thoughts were the same as you thinking at 12.3v would be bad for the battery.

But after understand the battery technology employed on AGM or EFM, these allows deep discharge without causing too much detrimental effects compared to normal lead acid battery.

So don't worry about it, it is normal for stop and start cars fitted with these battery. When you replace these battery, make sure they are the same type.

Hope the above makes sense.

Edited by Perfection on 18/04/2018 at 21:48

Hi Perfection.

I read your post with interest and noted the comments from others. It appears that the start /stop vehicles have a rather strange charging patterns. As you said its all to do with maximum economy low emmisions at the expense of more frequent battery replacement. So what we gain in one hand we pay for with the other. In my post it was suggested I had an inaccurate voltmeter or other missunderstanding of what I was doing - not so just a not very intelegent battery charging system adopted by manufacturers. In one of the replies I read it was suggested that more sufisticated equipment was required to properly analyse what was going on but with a basic voltmeter (calibrated), 55 plus years engineering experience my diagnosis of battery only being charged to approx 50 -60 % was correct. Even with new battery technology its not good to only charge a battery to this low level.

Edited by rustbucket on 20/04/2018 at 08:05

Ford B-Max ecoboost 125 - Battery condition start/stop - dieselnut

I think this is all part of the energy saving strategy that manufacturers now have to employ to get the lowest emissions.

As you stated, when you slow the vehicle down, it uses regenerative breaking, using that energy to recharge the battery.

If the battery was already fully charged, that energy would be lost.

If it runs the battery half charged it can use regenerative energy to charge the battery, then not use the alternator for a longer period.