Survey Dissertation - ky1234

Hi, my name is Kelvin and I am a final year student at UCL. I am looking to evaluate the major factors that affect EV adoption in the UK, and the impact. I have also proposed new categorisation of factors in terms of relative advantages, compatibility, complexity, social image and socio-economic status. The survey also helps to test if there is a geographical difference between UK and other countries in terms of major factors and impact towards EVs.

It will take about 5 minutes to complete the survey; I would like your help for my dissertation. Thank you so much!

www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6VTHK2H

Edited by ky1234 on 11/04/2018 at 01:05

Survey Dissertation - Engineer Andy

Done. Best of luck with your dissertation, from another alumni of the Engineering Dept at UCL (mid 90s).

Survey Dissertation - FP

A quite well-constructed survey, I thought - unlike some we've had here.

Survey Dissertation - FP

I should add I'm also an alumnus of UCL (class of 1968), but not of the Engineering Department.

Edited by FP on 11/04/2018 at 13:13

Survey Dissertation - Tester

I've responded to your survey and, as has already been noted, congratulate you on an unusually well put together set of questions.

One thing, though: I think that you might be falling into the 'averages trap'. One question was along the lines of 'How many miles to you drive in a normal/average day?' I answered something like 20-30, because that's fairly normal for me --- which, of course, would make a pure electric car ideal, apart from its crazy price. But like most drivers I also need to go much further on occasion: in my case, I regularly make a 420-mile round trip, for which even a Tesla would be no good (if I could afford one!) but my Auris turbo petrol can do on a tankful if required. In addition, since it is nearly all on high-speed roads a hybrid would be pointless because it would be running on petrol pretty much all the time, rarely using energy recovery to recharge the battery and simply dragging around the extra weight of battery.

I suggest that instead of looking at 'average (mean)' or 'normal' mileages you should be considering distributions of extreme values, since it is these that will limit uptake of EVs as people's sole or primary vehicle.

Edited by Tester on 12/04/2018 at 10:10