VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - Mark Wallace

I have been thiking about changing my bulbs (headlamp / indicator / reversing) on my Golf to brighter lights.

I had though about LED's but note that they appear not to be road legal.

What recommendations would you have for

headlamps

other bulbs

which are birght and last a long time. I note that some of the brighter headlamps have a shorter lifespam

Edited by Avant on 10/03/2018 at 23:19

VW Golf - Chaning OEM bulbs - Bolt

I had though about LED's but note that they appear not to be road legal.

I have been using them for several years for indicators -brake/sidelight and interior and all passed MOT, though not sure if any laws have changed but then new cars have them so they must be acceptable or they wouldnt fit them

VW Golf - Chaning OEM bulbs - gordonbennet

Depending on model i can understand wanting to improve the indicators, Golfs are among the worst designs for invisible indicators, front or rear if headlights or brake lights are on, whether the brighter bulbs will cure basic designs faults is questionable mind.

Both Philips and Osram make brighter legal headlight bulbs, i ran Philips for years and am currently on Osrams, no failures so far.

Osram also make some long life side light bulbs (W5W, so possibly others too), probably no brighter but you might find the existing ones are smoking the glass and new good ones will be better, the position of the dull (glass turning black) side light bulbs on my car makes them awkward for fitting so i paid the extra for long life hoping what it says on the package is true.

VW Golf - Chaning OEM bulbs - Mark Wallace

Which osram headlights are you running

VW Golf - Chaning OEM bulbs - RobJP

Do note that under the new MOT regulations, a lot of the brighter lamps may be deemed a an MOT failure, and replacing 'standard' bulbs with LEDs will almost certainly be a failure.

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - Avant

Do you have any more details, Rob? As Bolt says, plenty of new cars have LED headlights (including the one I've got on order), so is there a type of unauthorised LED that's so excessively bright that it makes a car fail the MoT?

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - RobJP

Do you have any more details, Rob? As Bolt says, plenty of new cars have LED headlights (including the one I've got on order), so is there a type of unauthorised LED that's so excessively bright that it makes a car fail the MoT?

An apology, a mistake on my part - it's HID lamps, not LED ones.

The new rule states that :

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected

The item is listed as a 'major' fault, if detected.

There is an item on LED lights in the new rules. As I'm sure you're aware, the LED light is usually composed of a number of small lights. The rules now make clear that failure of a some of those lights over time does not constitute a major failure. Basically, if over half of the individual LEDs are working in any lamp unit, then it will be a 'minor' fault. If less than half are working, it will be 'major', and thus a failure.

Just had a look through the new rules in some detail. I notice that the (usually yellow) EML light being an advisory is now going to be a 'major' fault - meaning a failure.

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - Avant

Many thanks for that - very helpful.

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - Bolt

I have a feeling RobJP may have been correct the first time, my MOT mate reckons if the led has replaced an OEM bulb and its visible, it will fail the MOT, its because as mentioned the light brighness and spread patern of the light through the lens may be different to the original

bearing in mind as they cannot dismantle the unit to see what it is, it can pass the MOT but is still illegal, it wont affect new cars as the LED is designed for the car

The only way out is to buy an LED light unit complete, then it will be legal and made for the car AFAIA

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - gordonbennet

The worse problem with LED's is people who stick them in number plate lamps, they often show lots of white light to the rear and due to directional brightness are utterly useless for the job in hand.

Apart from that they look wrong, invariably car LED's are in the higher colour band, so a stark white bordering on the blue range...oh and whats with blue sidelight bulbs, is that some layby cruising code or what?...and they look how can i put it 'chavvy' on a car that should have low colour range white lights in line with its year.

The only good thing about plainly wrong lights, and stark white obviously aftermarket DRL's stuffed anywhere that takes the fancy are a prime example, is we are forewarned to give such cars an extra wide berth, it can't have escaped the notice of most BR's that such vehiclesoften tend to be driven somewhat aggressively.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/03/2018 at 08:12

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - hillman

When changing bulbs for the headlights and the rear lear lights I have found that when I buy the bulbs from a shop they tend to have a limited life. Now I buy OEM bulbs from the main dealer. They tend to be more expensive, sometimes twice the price. I get the impression that the bloke in the parts department thinks I'm a fool. But, they are so fiddly to replace that I'm willing to pay the extra for a good quality product. If they last twice as long then it's worth the extra. The same with key fob batteries.

The front indicator bulbs bulbs are now 11 years old without problems. When I asked the Subaru dealer for replacement bulbs to keep as spare the man said to bring the car in and the technician would know what bulb to use. I didn't argue. The bulbs are situated in such a difficult place that I think the whole headlamp units would have to be removed.

VW Golf - Changing OEM bulbs - Bolt

The worse problem with LED's is people who stick them in number plate lamps, they often show lots of white light to the rear and due to directional brightness are utterly useless for the job in hand.

Apart from that they look wrong, invariably car LED's are in the higher colour band, so a stark white bordering on the blue range...oh and whats with blue sidelight bulbs, is that some layby cruising code or what?...and they look how can i put it 'chavvy' on a car that should have low colour range white lights in line with its year.

The only good thing about plainly wrong lights, and stark white obviously aftermarket DRL's stuffed anywhere that takes the fancy are a prime example, is we are forewarned to give such cars an extra wide berth, it can't have escaped the notice of most BR's that such vehiclesoften tend to be driven somewhat aggressively.

Most people do get the wrong LED for the job, with a look around you can get the proper colour and low wattage to prevent the blinding effect off of number plates, size according to where its got to be used, the ones I bought always matched the colour of the lens

also if you notice some people put in white bulbs where they should be red or amber because the lens is almost clear which is not the fault of tungsten bulbs but people who install them

I was under the impression that standard bulbs would be phased out in favour of LED lights because of lower power use, which is what they are all looking at now, the bit I didnt expect was how bright they would end up being but they will phase them out soon like household bulbs are