Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - jenette

Good afternoon. I've just spent an hour on the bus reading Sarah Ed's post and your helpful replies regarding her budget of 1.5k for a car. I'd really appreciate any help, as 2 hours a day I'm trawling through tonnes of cars ending up none the wiser. My mums gifted me some money to purchase a car, I've been looking at mazda, fiesta, focus (and others I’ve deleted since reading) - oh and diesel which I think after reading the thread is a no no although not sure why, but I appreciate your advice.

Whilst I can go up to 4k I don't earn a good wage and I'm worried if something goes wrong the credit card will need to come out - I'm sure I'm still paying for repair work on a corsa from 3 years back! I did get a focus cat d for 12 months off ebay 2 yrs ago for £400 and had it for a year and only cost me £10 for a puncture repair but couldn't afford the new mot. However, it was a good drive I’d still have another – I could actually get my mountain bike in the boot! I'd like low tax, and good mpg. I travel 20 miles return trip to work (10 mw) and the odd trip Leeds, Liverpool etc and I love mw driving. I can patiently wait although the peasant wagon is not good for my back and I need to bring my son home from Leeds uni in 4 months; and although I do work in a doctors I think it’s a tad unethical to go through the deaths/strokes/MIs in the hope there’s a newish car going cheap!

Buying a cheap run around seemed much less hassle. Thank you for any help.

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - SLO76
Hello Jenette. I can understand the problem, car hunting is a bit of a minefield even when you do know what you’re doing. But you’re on the right track by steering away from diesels which are much more complex and thus likely to go wrong in their dotage. Keep it simple, stick with mass market non-turbo petrol powered cars, preferably using Japanese engine technology.

The Mk II Focus is a good call, it uses a Yamaha engine in the 1.6 and a Mazda motor in the 1.8 petrol both of which are robust and longlived if looked after. They’re also excellent to drive. The Mazda 3 is based on the same car (Ford owned Mazda at the time) and drives very similar but is available with Mazda’s own 1.6 petrol motor which is again vice free. Your budget is plenty enough to get a good example of either and they should run and run if you look after them.

The Honda Civic 1.8 petrol is another good car but higher prices mean your money won’t go as far here. It’s quick, spacious and efficient but not as nice to drive as the other two above. The Toyota Corolla and Auris are again good cars both well made and tend to be utterly reliable but they’re a bit dull to look at or drive.

Down a size the Fiesta 1.25/1.4 (Yamaha motor) and Mazda’s 2 1.3/1.5 are both cracking little cars as is the Suzuki Swift and Toyota Yaris 1.33 but space is less abundant. Resale will be easier and running costs lower than the larger cars mentioned.

Where about in the country do you live? I’m happy to take a wee look at what’s available in your area that I’d look at. It’s also worth taking someone with you that knows what they’re doing even if that means bribing a mechanic to help. Dealers, especially small backstreet traders can be utter rogues so be careful. Look for cars which have been owned by the last keeper for a long time (3yrs upwards preferably) as this indicates a happy owner and looking at main dealer part exchange stock is often a good source. Yes it’ll be dearer but a main dealer will only retail older stock that’s not likely to cause bother for them if it has issues they’ll punt it to auction instead.

Thanks for that indepth reply SLO - I forgot to mention I'm in SK14 but work just out of Manchester. I really don't have anyone to take with me unfortunately so your help is really appreciated.

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5Kg - SLO76
Spotted a few possibilities.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180308438...0

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180227413...9

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180219387...7

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180215373...3

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180303422...3

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180206344...6

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180308438...5

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180104244...5

Obviously I can't recommend anything without actually seeing it but these would be the kind of motors I'd certainly be looking at.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/03/2018 at 15:34

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5Kg - jenette

Wow, thank you . I've been on the bus again comparing, it's difficult, really like Mazda and honda, but practically the Toyota yaris 1.3 compares the most favorable. I may book a trip over. Do you think, as it's coming up great price, that a cash reduction would be worth a shot lol. Tyvm

“Do you think, as it's coming up great price, that a cash reduction would be worth a shot lol.”

Always worth a try but don’t base your decision on how much discount you can get. No one throws away a good car.

you're right and compared to others it is a good price :)

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5Kg - badbusdriver

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180122297...1

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Yaris-1-33-VVT-i-2009MY-...~

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-YARIS-1-3-SR-VVT-I-5D-99...Q

I'm beyond grateful people I don't know can be so helpful (via peasant wagon again) A quick question about Toyota, I'm drawn to the running costs of a 5 door /seat... Is it cheap enough to maintain /repair?

And thanks badbusdriver hopefully I've not come across you yet! However I'm on the way to Hyde so I'll take a look at that yaris Ty

The toyota yaris, along with the honda jazz, are probably the most reliable supermini's out there. Neither are likely to give you any problems. The 1.33 version of the yaris in particular, is a great little car, replacing the old 1.3 and providing more power, better economy and low emissions (i think it falls into the £30 per annum bracket).It is versatile too with a sliding rear seat so you can make the boot bigger, or maximise rear seat leg room

You mentioned earlier about having a bike, so with that in mind, if your trip today doesn't work out, i'd suggest you look at a jazz. The reason being it's trick 'magic' rear seats. Honda moved the fuel tank from under the rear seats, where it is in most cars, to under the front seats. The result being that you can flip up the rear seat bases (like a cinema seat) leaving a very useful and tall space in which you could probably put your bike (with the front wheel removed).

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5Kg - bazza

Great advice above, Jenette. If you can find a 1.3 Yaris, well kept and with a decent service history, you will not go far wrong. Also the Jazz, as BBD says is incredibly space efficient. We have run a Toyota Corolla 1.4 as a son's car for 6 years, bought at 8 years old, it's now 14 years old. I cannot state how well built these things are, everything works, it drives nicely, it's not exciting but it's passed every MOT needing nothing. Can't ask for more than that. It cost 3K and worth now, what..... 1.5K? So £1500 quid over 6 years depreciation plus a few services, is pretty cheap motoring. Another tip, don't spend all of your money on the car, if you have £4K, spend 2 to 3K, keeping some back for any repairs and services. Take the advice from SLO and BBD, they are indeed very knowledgable.

The Jazz is a good wee car, the only reason why I never listed one was because the OP said she enjoyed driving and I personally find the Jazz rather horrid to drive. Personal opinion though, others (my mother included) love them.

Good morning I'm still searching. Went to look at the yaris on Saturday, However it had just been sold! The guy was really nice and is going to look out for something about 3k for me Asked for yaris and jazz, is there anything over 60 mpg recommended? After looking and looking etc not too fussed about tax, just maintenence and fuel.

Tyvm

Actually over 50 is fine

And the Mazda looks good too.

Edited by jenette on 15/03/2018 at 07:28

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5Kg - nellyjak

I can confidently recommend the Yaris...my wife is on her third one now and loves them.

She now has a 1.33 5 door model...I think the VED for that is £125 p.a.

They are a nippy, comfortable and reliable car but I think you would have to drive like Miss Daisy to achieve the mpg you are hoping for..lol

People will tell you all manner of wonderful things about mpg...very little is actually true.!

Good luck with the search

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5Kg - expat

The cost of fuel is important but the cost of repairs can be crippling so be sure that any car you look at has a full service record preferably with receipts and not just stamps in the book. People have been know to fake the stamps. Also it is possible to look at old MOT reports on line and these can tell you a lot. For example if the car is showing high mileage and then the mileage doesn't correspond then it may have had the mileometer wound back. Post links to the cars you are interested in and some one here will help with that for you.

To have any hope of achieving 60mpg in normal everyday driving (unless you spend all your time doing 60ish mph on main roads) you would have to be looking at something smaller and lighter than what you have currently been looking at. Suzuki alto springs to mind, as does the citroen C1/peugeot 107/toyota aygo triplets. They all use a 1.0 3 cyl petrol, are very light in weight, and should manage to get pretty close to 60mpg. They are small though, and you may struggle to get a mountain bike in any of them!.

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - bluezzr1100

Toyota every time. I have a Celica-bombproof fantastic car never goes wrong. Prone to some corrosion perhaps especially the alloys. Engine sweet as a nut. Brakes good and apart from slider pins do not seize. Have had it for 10 years now. Very low running costs but if anything does go wrong it would be expensive.

Also have a 2005 Vauxhall Astra petrol 1400 (Mk4) > Cost nothing to buy 10 years ago and still going strong 100k miles later. Minimal servicing costs. Burns a tad of oil but nothing to worry anyone and goes like stink-40mpg easily achievable. I think the Mk5 was pretty good so this would be the one to go for. Parts dirt cheap but it will have the occasional problem-nothing expensive though. Brand now owned by Peugeot so future uncertain from a reliability point of view.

Avoid VW (electrical problems-wiring), anything French (electrical problems and odd designs!), Honda (have had brake caliper problems with these), Fiat,

Avoid diesels-high maintenace costs and also rather out of favour plus it really is the fuel of the devil! Avoid small turbo cars-they will have been thrashed to death by the time they hit this price even if treated gently and you have the added complication of a turbo-charger.

Just a few thoughts.

Toyota Corollas live for ever!

thanks bluezzr1100

I am reading all advice, and spending far too much time looking at cars, not just on the pc/mobile and tablet - I fear for my safety the way I'm staring cars out!

However, I think the yaris is too small. I like the toyota corolla, and the ford fusion, I think i need the boot space, I've saved loads on autotrader but when I c&p I get about 4 lines! Also like the honda jazz but need to see it up close - that's what happened with the yaris I felt too small atm with the kids uni stuff etc.

I also like this

www.woodbinemotorgroupltd.co.uk/used-toyota-prius-...4

anyway it is a mindfield but I'm still here reading, and appreciating your advice.

and now the hour has moved on my pc and I'd been here far too long before that hour changed!!

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - Oli rag

Toyota prius are a good car, however this one is rough. It says in the description that the body needs attention and from the pictures it has different coloured wheels on either side.

One to avoid I'd say.

Forget anything complex on such a tight budget, that includes turbo diesels and hybrids. This is rough and the battery pack will be heavily degraded at 11yrs of age, it uses the same basic tech as the batteries in your phone or laptop and we all know how useless they are at 10yrs plus. Keep it simple... petrol, no turbos and the fewer gadgets and gubbins the better.

Thanks, was just a thought. I may try to find a local jazz see how it sizes up.ty

Although I’m no fan of the way they drive they do make an excellent cheap to run small family car. No timing belt to worry about, great on fuel and mostly owned by well off older people who look after them. The 1.2 is gutless so I’d try to get a 1.4 as fuel ecobomy is no different on the road. Test drive it over a decent distance to see if you can live with the ride and handling though as it’s far from the most enjoyable small car to drive.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170905898...6

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180212366...9

Edited by SLO76 on 25/03/2018 at 12:37

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - catsdad
I am always bemused when its suggested you pop a mountain bike into the magic seat space in a Jazz. At best it will be very tight and you will have muddy bits resting on the carpet, and pedals and oily bits pressing into the back of the seats. And of course handle bars nicely placed to take chunks out of the roof lining or your head if you stop suddenly. You'd need to wrap it and tie it in place to avoid damage to you, the bike and the car.

The Jazz is a good car and the seats are brilliant for tall loads and dogs.

For bikes I would suggest its more of a party trick than a practical solution.

?? actually I've never suggested popping my mountain bike into a jazz... I said I liked that I could throw it in the back of my focus... Seats down the boot was massive, actually got 2 bikes in! But using the clip off wheel was suggested... I'd get one of those bike things for the back, Will need one for bringing sons bike from leeds. I also got my bike in the back of the corsa, as i live a little out in the sticks i often drive to a venue and bike it for the car next day.

Slo that 2nd jazz is on my saved list and it's local but closed today, I'll arrange to see this week though I'm waiting for the return of the beast from the east... Snow ploughs needed digging out recently.

Thanks for input, appreciate

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - Alby Back
Hey Jenette - We're a mountain biking family and my 18 year old son has an old Toyota Aygo 5 door. Remarkably roomy for such a small car, cheap as chips to run and has proven faultlessly reliable. Real life better than 50mpg, low insurance, cheap tyre size and actually very good fun to drive. He has his bike racks permanently on the roof. I'd strongly advise you not to use a tailgate mounted rack, they can be problematic.

Never had a Yaris, but as some have posted above, they're supposed to be very good too.

thanks, my ex had a 3bike carrier which always carried our 2 mountain bikes but tbf it always seemed a bit precarious to me! Not sure I could cope with it on the roof either but supposed halfords could ways put the bike racks on....however, with the wonders of google and youtube you can easily get a small (mine) mountain bike into the back of a Jazz with the seats flat :)

Atm that is what is appealing to me, I've tip runs to do and uni runs for the next 3 years. In 5 years I'd like to semi-retire and live in Spain - not living the dream I'll probably be just as sad there but it's warm!! LOL!

I'm also v sad at work and thinking of leaving cheered me up no end today. And I've seen a Jazz for <2k leaving me some money to top up a temping wage, link below:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180322483...y

what say you?

I apologise it's not a neat little link like the norm...

righto off to sleep early tonight. J

NB: I see the link has shrunk!!

Edited by jenette on 25/03/2018 at 23:17

Looks worthy and I'm a fan of buying privately direct from the current owner as you bypass the dealers bull and meet them face to face, see the car warts and all plus get to see where they live which tells you plenty about them.

But remember that there is absolutely no comeback if it all goes wrong so again take someone with you if at all possible. Before viewing ask how long they've owned it and if it is registered to them at their current address. Accept no excuses, if it isn't then they'll be a fly trader trying to dodge their legal obligations.

If their story checks out then ask them not to start it before you view it as you want to hear it start from cold. When you arrive, ask for the keys, pop the bonnet and put you hand on top of the engine (away from any moving parts obviously) and feel for any heat. If they agreed to do this over the phone but it is warm then they've started it to hide a problem, might just be a duff battery but could be a rattling timing chain or a number of other problems including clutch judder which is quite common on these from cold.

On the subject of your own happiness, I understand. I was self employed for 15yrs and had a terrible work/life balance, hadn't had a holiday in over a decade and couldn't hold down a relationship. I wasn't exactly unhappy but knew life could be better so I took a gamble and sold my business. Plan had been to increase the car dealing sideline I had on the go but it didn't quite work out. Both dealers I bought from went bust and the likes of We Buy Any Car were a nice easy option for people too lazy to shop for a better deal, while the Northern Irish were paying insane (retail) money for cars at auctions up here meaning I couldn't compete. So I had to take on a normal job again. I'm now a bus driver and find it largely stress free and enjoyable. I'm rambling but the point is if you're unhappy then change things. Take a jump and do something else even if it means making less money.

I hope you find a wee bit of joy.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/03/2018 at 01:04

thanks SLO. A steady, nhs paltry paid job slowly crushing my soul, single with a mortgage and 2 nearly grown up kids! I actually gave some thought to a bus driver once, I just wanted to cheer them all up and thought if I was one I'd be cheerful. This morning it was a taxi driver; short on female taxi drivers my neck of the woods.

Anyhow back to the motor. I'm going to ring this morning. I did think it a tad strange that the photos are in the middle of the street, have they just parked up somewhere decent for a photo shoot?? I did an online check for car fines (no idea how reliable/bs this is) but it had none although it stated that it had been checked 40+ times in the past month??

I've just walked past a honda jazz on the way to work and it looked pleasing - first time in rt I've seen one. Hoping to drive to Portsmouth December, and the focus was a good drive as was the ex-s peugeot 207 estate, athough I could probably hire a decent car for the cost of a train ticket! I just found it so much easier when the car drives itself - my prior car was a corsa :(

enjoy your day!

“actually gave some thought to a bus driver once,“

It’s a pleasant little number up here in Ayrshire. I mostly do rural routes with some truely glorious countryside even if the roads are a bit of a mess thanks to the (cough) Scottish (so called) government pouring our money away on their on separatist agenda instead of doing what they should be doing and maintaining by the economy, education, health and transport. They seem hell bent on making as much of a mess of each to blame Westminster.

See, even with a job I like I can still find something to moan about.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/03/2018 at 10:49

SLO honestly the roads are dia down here! Sink holes appearing all over the place - outside the main Manchester hospital fgs!! I walk at least 100+ miles a month atm and plenty of grids in the roads are way too low!

fb car: www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1645371005500091/

he supplied to full reg no problem: De61tzs and he's open to offer.

good past MOTs - seems all I can look for. he is a dealer, I've just sent him this message:

I wouldn't mind a test drive (it is more than I wanted to pay but the year is good). Has it been in an accident - notice you do accident pickups and you're a mechanic - ty

SLO you're a man - bound to moan! (it's us who nag!) ;)

latest reply: My mate dose pick ups

No im not machanic

The prives owner i bought it off the driver door was damage light iv replaced it so if you intressted open to offers

Edited by jenette on 26/03/2018 at 11:44

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - Alby Back
Jeanette - Mountain biking is a great way to expand your social life. If you enjoy it, and you've already got a useable bike it's an easy and cheap way to meet new friends with shared interests.

Not too far away from you is Delamere forest where the on site bike shop runs guided rides on Thursday evenings ( free as far as I know ) so you could, if you felt so inclined, get involved with that sometime for no more than the cost of some petrol to get there and a car park ticket.

Google "Tracs" at Delamere if you want to find out more.

We rode round there yesterday as it happens, the forest was gorgeous, we normally go a bit further afield such as Snowdonia, but the clock change and a bit of over indulgence on Saturday night conspired to make us a bit late starting !
Wouldn’t touch that one Jenette. It’ll have seen a lot more action than the obvious salvage dealer is telling you. It’ll have been bought at a salvage auction and likely be a write off. Since the car has a value in excess of £5k it’ll have needed more than a bump on a door to write it off.

I’d sooner have that wee older private sale car. It looks quite honest.
That fb car is listed as a CAT S if you simulate an ad on Autotrader. That means its been structurally damaged but repairable.

I suspect that means more than a damaged door but even so I would stay away. If you can insure it the insurer will need evidence its been repaired properly.

Shame as it looks good otherwise. Too good to be true in fact.

I am sure you will get something given time.

afternoon folks,

I'm still searching and think I'll have to bite the bullet tomorrow so to speak.

Alby - thank you for that info at Delamere - I have been mountain biking there and I loved it but I wasn't single then, I shall definitely look into that though.

catsdad - thanks for telling me it was a Cat S - difficult finding someone to trust.

slo - yeah he didn't even reply! ty (the wee old one had already been sold).

Is a Civic any good? Or is the Jazz much better as it's a chain?? I really don't know a lot but am learning, or trying!

I've seen this one that's local that I like

www.atariscars.co.uk/used-cars/honda-jazz-1-4-i-ds...2

but this one seems better for £600 (absolute top of my budget) - been on my here list before: well it was a 2011 jazz 72k fsh at 4k and it's sold!! You snooze you lose! But it makes the other one look expensive iyswim

there is this - a bit above my budget but I think it's over priced a tad

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180318470...e

or would this be good for 5 years:

www.theonestopcarshop.co.uk/detail/278618/used-hon.../

Happy Easter!

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - RaineMan

My recommendation would be the 1.6 petrol Focus and the Honda Civic. Personally I prefer the ride in the Focus but the Honda would probably be more reliable (if maintained by the book).

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - daveyK_UK
Would you not consider leasing or rather a PCP on a Dacia Sandro.
Even on a low wage, this makes sense.

We have a young neighbour who is on a lower wage (think it’s £16k) and has a mid spec petrol Dacia Sandero on a PCP that cost him £1.1k deposit and £95 a month.
At the end of 4 years he gives the car back although it’s been better than expected and I think the plan now is to buy it at the end of the lease for £2.3k and keep the car in the family.
Dacia extended the warranty to 5 years as part of the PCP deal.

I had a quick google and there are plenty of Dacia lease deals, even the manufacturer deal is pretty good (and normally a dealer can incentivise this more by throwing in a space saver spare wheel or lowering the deposit).

Something to consider

I would have looked into this but this post didn't refresh on my phone and so I've only just read it, thanks for that food for thought.... And maybe for my sons

Edited by jenette on 05/04/2018 at 00:47

Just a wee update and a big thank you for your time, invaluable experience and help.

Not too sure this link will work as I've bought the car, Easter Monday after 5 weeks of looking and hours of reading. I'm loving it but Easter was heavy and I was a tad poorly Best bit it was round the corner, a private dealer, who brought it to my house. It's uber comfy. I need to join a gym now as I'll be down 115 miles walking a month

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180317466...3

Tyvm.

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - Avant

And thanks for telling us, Jenette. Best of luck with the Civic and with life generally.

Looks good and if it is a Honda dealer part ex then it must’ve been good to its previous owner. Well bought.

yes Honda fsh and 1 owner and it feels so spacious to drive and although it's probably heavier on juice than I initially anticipated I'm giving up lots of juice (ie: £5 nightly wine), so I wont notice, plus less anxiety and I have a new job interview on Wednesday - in my lush car!

cheers again Jx

Car Advice, budget circa 3.5K - Stumblebum

I have a very similar car, same age and mileage, 1800 petrol. Until recently I was commuting 160 miles per day no problem.

On the motorway I used to get 50 mpg. School run in town is about 32mpg. Mixed motoring is 40mpg.

The only issue I had was the car blue tooth connection broke just after my warranty expired. I replaced it with a £30 visor mounted kit from Amazon which works far better than the original.

My car is about 85K now. I anticipate keeping it at least 4 more years.

That Civic looks good. Thanks for the update. I get low 40's out of my 2012 Civic 1.8 easily.