Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - guitarman1977

Hi all

My serpentine belt failed partially, (it did not snap completely but began to shred) and as i was only 1 mile from home i carried on driving.

I fitted the new Gates belt(and also replaced the power steering belt with a Gates belt ).

When i came to start the car it felt like the battery was dead. It churned slowly and then died. Jump started it, went for a 20 minute drive to charge battery. Car drove as normal. No overheating issues or strange noises.

Since then i have not been able to start the car using the battery which is 1 year old. However, it will start with a jump start from my partner's Fiesta with her engine running.

When i fitted the serp belt the pulleys turned freely enough.

The battery shows 12.8v when tested with my multimeter and 14v when engine is running.

Can a new belt be too tight for the battery to start? ie too much grip on pulleys.

The belt was really tight and a sod to fit. The part supplier originally gave me the wrong belt, one for non A/C which was too long. Then they delivered the correct one for my car with AC.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Many thanks in advance

Simon

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - hardway

Take the belt off and see if it'll then start.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - elekie&a/c doctor
If it starts from a slave battery,that would suggest your battery is in trouble
Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - guitarman1977

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I took the battery off last night and brought it in the house overnight. Just now i connected it up and the car started. I think the battery does not like the cold. It is only 1 year old and has a 4 year warranty. Send it back for a replacement? Perhaps a cell has gone bad inside. Any ideas.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - skidpan

The battery shows 12.8v when tested with my multimeter and 14v when engine is running.

12.8 volts when tested appears to be fine but a battery with a duff cell will sometimes show as being good. You really need to check the voltage drop when starting, that really tests the battery.

14 volts when the engine is running is low for a modern car that does not have a smart alternator, I would not expect a 2002 Fiesta to be fitted with one. Suggest you get the alternator tested before doing anything with the battery.

Tried to start my car with a known good battery from my partner's Fiesta today and the car would not start. The donor battery is exactly the same as mine. ie CCA 360, same type 063 etc.

My car cranks but after a while i get a rapid ticking noise from somewhere behind the dash. Any ideas what this is?

Yesterday the car started striaight away as soon as i turned the key, but today just will not start.

Could i have damaged the Cam Angle Sensor by driving home with the belt flapping around under the bonnet? It did make a horrendous noise.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - hardway

If I remeber right the CAS is the one that gets "popped" when a belt breaks loose.

Does it register REVS on the counter when it fails to start?

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - elekie&a/c doctor

Is this a petrol or diesel? Petrol Cas is at the gearbox end. Diesel behind the front crank pulley.

No. Does not register revs.

I just cranked it and the needle does not move off zero.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - bathtub tom
My car cranks but after a while i get a rapid ticking noise from somewhere behind the dash. Any ideas what this is?

Sounds like a dodgy connection to me. I'd start at the battery terminals, earth connections,solenoid and starter motor connections.

Thanks v much for the help so far.

I removed the cam sensor and tried the one from my partner's Fiesta 1.25 and my car still won't start.

The fuel pump primes when i turn the ignition key on and i get a click from the fuse box area behind the glovebox just as usual. I smell fuel when i crank the engine so i guess the pump is supplying fuel.

I checked for spark today. There is a spark but it seems very weak. I really have to look close to see it. Also when the battery starts to get a little sluggish after a few cranks the spark disappears. Is that normal?

Also, my car will not start with a jump start now either. Sounds like it wants to but then does not fire up.

Any ideas? This is starting to drive me mad!

If we go back to your original post,you say the poly vee belt started to shred .Is it possible that some of the belt has found its way behind the plastic cam belt cover?If it has,then it is possible that the cambelt timing has been affected. For info,a cam sensor fault will not cause a no-start..Also the crank sensor must be ok,otherwise there would be no spark.A weak battery will cause the ignition system to give a poor ignition spark. One last question,did you attempt to undo the crankshaft bolt when replacing the belt.?

If we go back to your original post,you say the poly vee belt started to shred .Is it possible that some of the belt has found its way behind the plastic cam belt cover?If it has,then it is possible that the cambelt timing has been affected. For info,a cam sensor fault will not cause a no-start..Also the crank sensor must be ok,otherwise there would be no spark.A weak battery will cause the ignition system to give a poor ignition spark. One last question,did you attempt to undo the crankshaft bolt when replacing the belt.?

Thanks very much for the reply.

I did not try to undo the crank bolt. I just used it to crank the engine around to stretch the belt on.

I don't think a piece of belt has got behind the timing cover because the car started 4 days ago and i drove it for 15 miles round trip. It started right away after visiting friends and drove faultlessly all the way home.

When cranking it does sound sluggish though. Could a starter motor pulling too many amps cause a no start? A couple of times in the last 6 months i came to start the car and it did nothing when i turned the key.A few turns of the key and the car started..

Could be a starter motor faulty.I would check the main cables from the battery that run to the starter .One will be the main power lead from the positive of the battery,the other will be the eart h lead that should attach to one of the starter through bolts at the engine /gearbox.

Thanks for the reply. I will check and let you know.

Is it worth pulling the starter and bench testing it?

You need special equipment to bench test a starter motor. Find an auto lecky shop that can load the pinion and check current draw. Probably cheaper to get an exchange unit.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - sammy1

Blimey 16 year old starter motor and still working? Maybe the carbon brushes are failing if they still have them hence the intermitant fault. I remember that if the starter failed you could try bumping it with a stout piece of wood which often worked in the short term

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - galileo

Blimey 16 year old starter motor and still working? Maybe the carbon brushes are failing if they still have them hence the intermitant fault. I remember that if the starter failed you could try bumping it with a stout piece of wood which often worked in the short term

Whacking a starter was the usual remedy on inertia startes where the pinion was stuck. For many ryears starters have been pre-engaged by a solenoid so sticking pinion is less likely, unless, of course, battery and/or connections are not good.

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - galileo

Whacking a starter was the usual remedy on inertia starters where the pinion was stuck. For many ryears starters have been pre-engaged by a solenoid so a sticking pinion is less likely, (unless, of course, battery and/or connections are not good)

Edited by galileo on 05/03/2018 at 16:19

My car has been starting fine for the last 2 days. Doesn't seem to be sluggish anymore whilst cranking and fires up within a second or two.

I have not touched anything since the last time i tried to start it.

I don't understand why it is now starting fine.

I have noticed there is a big split in a pipe that is connected to the inlet manifold and looks like it goes to engine. It is a short pipe. Could this cause hard starts? Is it a breather pipe for the engine?

Last week with temps below zero,puts a lot of extra load on the engine and electrics.a split breather pipe will not affect engine starting.

Hi AGAIN!

After a few weeks with no problems starting and running i have problems again.

Today the car did a big misfire and since then runs rough at idle....misfiring i guess.

On arrival home i lifted the bonnet and was met with an acrid burning smell and slight smoke from below cam position sensor at the rear of the engine. Any ideas what it could be? I don't want to drive it for fear of fire etc.

Thanks in advance.

Could be the ignition coil blown.Undo the 4 screws and lift the coil and check for any cracks in the plastic body.
Ford Fiesta 1.4 2002 - New Serpentine Belt Now Fiesta Will Not Start - dieselnut

Maybee it backfired & split an emissions hose so fumes are now going into the engine bay.

You mentioned earlier that an inlet hose was already split.