Peugeot 107 2005-2014 - Switching off ABS in snow - tim-cumbria

Mine has winter tyres but compared to a similar class of car that I used in snow a few years ago I don't like its braking. This is due to ABS, which prevents me locking up the wheels and letting the tyres collect snow to brake it - when that technique is appropriate. Is it possible to switch it off? If it is possible, I have in mind a simple switch/relay setup that will automatically switch ABS back on next time the car is started. I occasionally drive on completely snow covered roads just for the fun of it, but with ABS it isn't as much fun because I have somewhat less control.

Edited by tim-cumbria on 13/02/2018 at 06:15

Peugeot 107 2005-2014 - Switching off ABS in snow - hardway

My guess,

And as I've never done this it is a guess is that it will flag a managment fault and most likely

put the car into limp home/reduced performance.

But if you must then a switch put into the main power feed to the ABS ECU will kill it.

Peugeot 107 2005-2014 - Switching off ABS in snow - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I completely agree with you! It's not a matter of it 'not being as much fun', I think that ABS coming in when you're trying to stop on ice, especially downhill, is downright dangerous. It simply prevents the brakes from working. You've paid a lot of money for chunky-grip winter tyres, but you can't get them to cut into the ice and slush because the slightest touch of the brake pedal starts the ABS rattling and the wheels keep turning! It frightens me! There should be a switch for disabling ABS for slow-speed driving on ice. I cannot disagree.

Just as bad is something I saw on a 'Liveleak' video.. a camera overlooking a multi-lane highway in North America in the snow. There had been a crash. Cars were coming along at about 60mph, some sideways, some backwards! I believe this was because the drivers had selected 'cruise control' and their usual speed, regardless of the conditions. Those cars with automatic braking were 'seeing' the stationary cars ahead and banging on the brakes, which obviously wasn't going to stop the car on an icy road!

Peugeot 107 2005-2014 - Switching off ABS in snow - madf

My Jazz uses ABS to run traction control. Traction Control can be switched off with a switch (Which auto rests when you switch off the ignition)

I had a Rover 800 where ABS disabled itself in snow - big warning light - only reset by switching off ignition.

Never had any problems with ABS and snow...

Peugeot 107 2005-2014 - Switching off ABS in snow - Brit_in_Germany

Cruise control alone on slippery roads can result in total loss of control, particularly with rear wheel drive cars. From what I understand, the car senses the front wheels slipping as a slowing down and then increases the power to compensate.

Peugeot 107 2005-2014 - Switching off ABS in snow - Gibbo_Wirral

You should be able to unplug the ABS fuse from the engine bay with no limp mode. But personally I wouldn't recommend it, not adding a switch. It could be very easy to forget to replace it on a return to normal roads. Insurers would take a very dim view of disabling ABS if you had an accident.

Peugeot often like to put the ABS control unit in vulnerable places - like in the passenger front wheel arch behind a plastic liner in a rubbish plastic bag that dissolves away after years.

This results in water and dirt ingress and a communications failure of the unit, but doesn't put the car in limp mode.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 14/02/2018 at 11:52