Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Zammo76

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a new Renault Clio. The engine types I'm considering are a 0.9L TCe 90BHP (3 Cylinders) and a 1.2L 16v 75BHP (4 Cylinders). The garage keeps saying that the 0.9L is the faster engine but when I test drove it the acceleration was slow and the car was maxing out at 70 mph. I wanted to test drive a 1.2 16v but they didn't have one and kept saying it was slower as it's only 75BHP. But the thing is I have had a 1.2 16v previously (a Vauxhall Corsa) and that had fast acceleration and could reach 90mph no problem.

So now I don't know which engine type to choose or who or what to believe?

Edited by Zammo76 on 29/01/2018 at 11:04

Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - badbusdriver

Go to another garage which has a 1.2 available to try.

With regards to your corsa, not really comparable, the corsa 1.2 16v had more power (84bhp) and less weight to haul around. The current clio is nearly as big as a mk4 astra.

The 0.9 is a small capacity turbo, as is most common these days, but some of the smallest, like the clio, can suffer from a combination of turbo lag (where the power doesn't come in straight away) and a narrow power band. So in certain circumstances it could feel no faster than the 1.2. For the record, the clio 0.9 tce will do 113mph and 0-60 in 12.2 seconds versus 104mph and 15.4 seconds. The only explanation i can give for your not getting past 70mph is that it probably has a speed limiter, which the dealer will have set to 70 (that is the legal limit after all). But this can be set for any speed you want (30mph in town for example) or switched off completely.

Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - badbusdriver

Just out of curiousity, is there a particular reason for wanting a clio?. While spacious and smooth riding, it has been around for a few years now (since 2013), so isn't really at the top of the class anymore. There are other newer, more reliable, more efficient options out there.

Speaking of reliability, the honest john review of the clio, under good/bad, most of the problems listed seem to be for the 0.9tce

Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Zammo76

Thanks for the reply.

The Vauxhall Clio was 78BHP, the dealer did a search for it to try and prove he was correct in saying that the 0.9L was faster. But actually proved that he was wrong because the Clio was faster but had less BHP. I guess weight could be a factor though. Parkers list the Corsa as 950kg and the Clio as 1017kg.

www.parkers.co.uk/vauxhall/corsa/hatchback-2003/12.../

I think your right about the Turbo lag, maybe thats why it doesn't feel faster than the 1.2 because there is a few second lag between putting the pedal down and the power coming to the car.

Incidently I've test drove the new Nissan Micra (which has exactly the same engine in it as the Renault Clio TCe 90) and that car was absolutley aweful to drive with no power whatsover. I had to cut the test drive short as I didn't feel safe driving it as it was literally crawling out at junctions. I just think the Turbo engines are temperamental and you never know if they're going to decide to give you power or not.

The reason I was looking at the Clio is I like the design, its a good price and it seems to get consistantly high ratings out of the small cars. I am due to test drive a Seat Ibiza on Wednesday but I think the deposit I'll need for it might put me off. I only have £1500 to put down, won't be part ex'ing as this is a second car and want to pay no more than £180 per month. If you have any suggestions though I'm open to them.

Edited by Zammo76 on 29/01/2018 at 12:08

Sorry, i assumed it was the 3rd generation of corsa you had, which had 85bhp.

If you are doing some sort of personal lease type deal, the reliablity is not so much of an issue as presumably you will only be keeping the car for 2 or 3 years then replacing it with something newer. The clio's price is probably competitive because of the fact that it is getting on in years, so a good price will keep punters interested till it's replaced. The new ibiza seems to be very well like by the motoring press, but as it is so new, there probably won't be many great deals. Seeing as you mentioned parkers website (and assuming you are getting the car through a personal lease) it would be worth looking at their lease price search page if you haven't already.

www.parkers.co.uk/car-leasing/

As for other cars, the honda jazz and toyota yaris have very good reputations for reliability. I also like the look of the mazda 2.

Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - daveyjp

A smallish engine in what is a heavy modern car will never be a ball of fire - it can be made to feel quick, but in reality they aren't.

We have the 0.9t in our forfour and it is very lively when compared to the 1,000 cc non turbo version.

Edited by daveyjp on 29/01/2018 at 12:43

I do like the Mazda 2 and have test drove one. Unfortunalty the price put me off.

I'm going to be getting a car on PCP, that comparrison is really good though is there one for PCP?

Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - Renault Clio 0.9L TCe 90 BHP or 1.2L 16v 75BHP - pd

I've driven quite a few Clio 1.2s and they are slow and gutless. They have no torque so are a pain around town and you need to keep changing gear. The worst thing about the car is the engine,

All other considerations aside the 0.9 can't possiblty be any worse. The best cooking engine Clio I've driven is the 1.5dci which has a bit of torque, is very economical and is relaxing & easy to drive.

Test drive the Renault Clio 0.9 and I'll think you'll be unpleasantly surprised, don't bother with the Nissan Micra as you'll literally want to jump out of it while it's still moving (A Team style).

I'm going to test drive a Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSi 95 on Wednesday, hopefully that'll have a bit more power. Incidentally I've priced it up in London, the Midlands (Birmingham) and up North (Sunderland) and the London price is way more than the other locations.

Edited by Zammo76 on 30/01/2018 at 00:44