Astra 1.3 diesel - Timing chain rattle - HandCart

I know many people do not like this engine, but I'm seeking an objective answer, please:

My car has had good quality oil and filter changes every 11k miles or so, but in just the past few weeks I can hear the timing chain rattle when it is idling. It's a periodic thing - sounds like 1, 2, 3, pause, 1, 2, 3, pause, 1, 2, 3... Does that sound familiar?

Car has done 143k miles and is otherwise in good running order.

I guess it would cost about £600 or more to get the timing chain replaced (I see it's a beggar of a job for labour).

I should have some money coming my way in 5 or 6 months, but until then money is tight.

Do I: Get the job done / or try to chop it in for something like a 107 or Alto retailing at about £1k to tide me over / or take a gamble on it soldiering on for several months?

I suppose my basic question is: The old BMC 'A' series engines used to go for years with a rattling timing chain: If this Fiat 1.3 engine has only recently started rattling, how likely is it to be okay for 5 or 6 months, versus how likely is it to go completely bang any week now?

Astra 1.3 diesel - Timing chain rattle - focussed

"I know many people do not like this engine"

I'm the first in the "not liking" queue, but I'll try to be objective.

If you have managed to get this ********* engine to 143,000 miles without any problems, and the TC has only just started rattling, your maintenance regime must have been first class.

The timing chain on this engine is a lot longer than the old BMC A series and has two tensioner shoes which are probably worn and causing the chain to rattle.

My opinion? Don't spend any serious money on it, carry doing what you have been doing, give it another oil + filter change and baby it gently on until you get to the point where you have the funds to get another motor, but keep an ear cocked to hear if the TC noise gets significantly worse.

Mine rattled like a cement mixer full of false teeth from 45000 onwards so yours sounds a lot better.

Edited by focussed on 25/01/2018 at 22:12

Astra H 1.3 diesel - Timing chain rattle - HandCart

Many many thanks for your reply, Focussed.

Out of interest, when you say yours rattled from 45k onwards, how much further 'onwards' did you take it, before either you fixed it or it broke ?

Maybe I have just been lucky: In the 6 years and 91k miles I've had it, I've had to replace the alternator, the set of little metal fuel pipes atop the engine (1 was leaking a bit, but they come as a set), the EGR valve, the MAF sensor and the glowplugs.
Oh and, naturally, refurb the 6-speed gearbox last year (£400).

I try to use decent oil, and FWIW, I usually also add 'Extralube ZX1' every 2nd oil change.
Maybe the engine gets some placebo effect from it (!?!)

My car is an estate with no DPF and still gets 60-62 mpg on a run, which is important because fuel costs come out of my business takings. It's tricky finding a replacement car which has as much space and economy, for a low purchase price whilst still being generally reliable.

Astra H 1.3 diesel - Timing chain rattle - focussed

My 1.3 cdti was in a 2004 Corsa, so an early one.

My alternator failed at 14 k accompanied by the smell of burning insulation, the front n/s suspension collapsed, the steering wheel came loose and the indicator stalk switch fell to bits etc etc-After it started getting difficult to start in cold weather and the Vauxhall dealer didn't want to know about any more warranty claims I just got sick of the damned thing and got rid of it at about 60 k as I recall.

Astra H 1.3 diesel - Timing chain rattle - Peter.N.

Most BMC 'A' engines were in the scrapyard by about 60k miles, much more than that and they started wearing through the timing cover so yours is doing very well.