Honda FR-V rust - Rust - howmuchistoomuch

I'm thinking of buying a honda 2008 I've been looking around and found one that fits the bill.

Unfortunately there is some rust on the underside of the car between the back wheels. I'm not sure if its to be expected for its age, if it needs some minor repair, major repair, or is straight up dangerous and id time to walk away?

Can anyone with experience of looking under cars of this age help?

Pictures (updated)

Edited by howmuchistoomuch on 20/01/2018 at 22:43

Honda FR-V rust - Rust - edlithgow

Looks marginal, (as in, it looks to be on the borderline where perforation might be found in the worst bits) though its not possible to tell without probing under the paint.

I'd doubt its dangerous (as in significantly structurally compromised) and I'd doubt it'd fail an MOT (though IIRC, and I do, they can be pretty picky) but it might merit an advisory, and its likely to get worse quite quickly if remedial action is not taken.

It looks to me as if water might be getting behind the paint from the inside of the car. I'd lift the carpets and look for signs of leaks

If it were mine I'd grind the paint off, ideally pressure wash it to get rid of any salt, then treat it with aluminium (flattened cans in a power drill) and vegetable oil (linseed probably best) or an alkyd resin, flood coating the inside of the car so it can drain down through the weld seams, and spraying inside box sections. Not difficult but messy, and you probably wouldn't want to be doing it in the UK winter.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=110553...1

More conventional alternatives would be Waxoyl and underseal. Don't work as well but they dry quicker and won't grow mould.

It'd have to be quite cheap to buy it like that, though.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/01/2018 at 03:01

Honda FR-V rust - Rust - madf

If you want the Honda for 1-2 years,I would spray it with Dinitrol 4941 - dries black. Hides all rust and slows it down. BUT it will come back again.. but more difficult for MOT inspector to see and com,ment.

If you want to keep teh car for longer, buy another.

And if you do buy it, get it cheaper. And check what advisories it had last MOT.

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Honda FR-V rust - Rust - gordonbennet

This isn't the first time i've heard about FRV's and serious underbody rust.

It looks bad enough to me that i'd want to scrape all that lifting paint and seal off and give it a good poking with a large screwdriver, wouldn't be surprised if it's perforated in places.

It would have to be cheap enough to cover any welding necessary.

Thanks for the advice everyone I didn't buy it in the end, I did offer the dealer 1k off the asking price but unsuprisingly he declined.

I'm happy with that as I have no idea what else was under there. Out of intrest anyone know how much such repairs cost if done professionally

Intrestingly there was nothing on the MOT history no advisories which suprises me a little I guess its up to the MOT centers discretion what they mark as an advisory? I guess if you have a good relationship with them they just tell you verbally and don't blot the MOT history.

This is the second rusty FR-V I've seen, I guess its true that if the price is low there is usually a good reason.

Edited by howmuchistoomuch on 22/01/2018 at 23:41

Google and ye shall find.

www.rust.co.uk/rustproofing-price-list/p512929#

(Just the first one listed. There were a few. I hear good things about Dinitrol but have never used it.)

"Repair" (as in replacing missing metal) may not be necessary. I've done a bit of welding, although I can't weld. When I had to deal with the UK MOT, (which I don't miss at all) I once had a small patch welded inside a wheel arch for 40 quid,

Turned out he couldn't weld either.

Ah yes google is my friend. Thanks for the link any way.

I have the benift of not having a garage so I won't have to see the mess I make of welding.

I have another honda for comparison I've taken to always asking for pics of the underside of fr-vssince the first couple and to their credit dealers a quite happy to oblige. My issue is not enough knowledge to know what to do with them. Hence my pestering, actuall I have had a google around for some rust sorries but couldn't find many (maybe I'm just bolting the wrong combination of words together).

This one looks (to my uneducated eye) in slightly better condition than the first although the rust there is appears to be in similar areas. Also some of the pictures show darker areas which look rough like they have been painted with something. Is this sealing put on by the manufacturer or is it some remedial work?

imgur.com/a/V3sbW

Thanks

Probably no perforation, though I'd want to have a gouge at that box section on the left as you look at it to make sure (First, worst picture). Needs treated before it gets any worse, and the first picture looks bad enough that you could perhaps use it in price negotiation.

The site I linked to is quite informative, and they probably do a good job (I know nothing about them) but for vehicles this age those prices are probably not going to make sense.

That means DIY. Lack of a lift is a snag, but its possible to do a worthwhile job on axle stands. There appear to be lots of drain holes to give access to the insides of the box sections.

Edited by edlithgow on 24/01/2018 at 00:51