VW Golf 2.0 TDI 55 plate - Tons of white smoke, oil light and loss of power - George2005neil

Hi all,

I noticed in the last few days the Golf was starting to fizz again when the turbo kicked in. Like when it was new. I noticed it doing it even before the turbo kicked in on acceleration. I gave it a boot in 2nd gear and total loss of power, judder and huge huge plums of white smoke out of exhaust, old engine light on and STOP on dash. I was a few minutes from home so managed to get home.

Prior to this I did have sticking turbo vanes (I think) as above 4000 it occasionally got lost power.

Any ideas?

Mechanic coming out Monday/Tuesday to take a look.

Cheers

VW Golf 2.0 TDI 55 plate - Tons of white smoke, oil light and loss of power - dieselnut

I would suspect the turbo oil seal had failed on the exhaust side.

Would then pump oil straight into the exhaust, hence clouds of white smoke.

Don't use the car until this is fixed.

The oil level is probably already low.

VW Golf 2.0 TDI 55 plate - Tons of white smoke, oil light and loss of power - George2005neil
Thanks for the reply. It is the Oil level low light that is on not the engine light. In all the smoke and panic I hadn’t realised. Car resting till he gets here. Would the fizzing I heard been the start of the seal coming loose and then I just blew it away with a boot?

Would that have cause occasional loss of power symptoms previously, even a slight leak?