2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - Finguz

We've just been informed by our dealer ( car was in for a warranty clutch assembly replacement ) that our Focus 1.6 Ecoboost is being recalled cue to a problem with cooling/coolant levels that could cause the head to crack.

Just posting as a heads up for anyone who has one that hasn't heard.

17S09 – Coolant Level Sensor System Installation – 2013-2015 Ford

Manufacturer Ford Motor Company
Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected 208,584

Engine Cylinder Head may Leak Oil

If the cylinder head cracks and leaks oil, the oil may contact a hot engine or exhaust component, increasing the risk of a fire.

Summary

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain 2014 Escape, 2014-2015 Fiesta ST, 2013-2014 Fusion and 2013-2015 Transit Connect vehicles equipped with 1.6L GTDI engines.

If the vehicle is started and driven with an insufficient level of coolant within the engine cooling system, the engine cylinder head may overheat, crack and leak oil.

Remedy

Ford will notify owners, and dealers will install a coolant level sensor and the supporting hardware and software, free of charge.

Remedy parts are currently unavailable. Interim notices informing owners of the safety risk are expected to be mailed April 18, 2017.

The above info is taken from a US site, but it is related to the same recall.

Edited by Finguz on 16/01/2018 at 12:08

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - SLO76
Thanks, I often recommend cars with this engine so it’s handy to know. I always recommend buying only with a full dealer history which should catch any recalls like this but otherwise it’s an excellent motor.
2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - corax

Surely this would be the case with any turbocharged car?

Low coolant level resulting in inadequate cooling - common sense?

What's wrong with looking under the bonnet occasionally?

If this was a recall due to faulty components resulting in coolant loss I could understand, but these measures seem to be making up for owners ignorance.

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - KB.

Therefore you're saying that Ford need not have gone to the trouble? That rather than their technical people recognizing that there's some sort of problem that needs to be addressed, then they're just doing it for.... well... no reason at all? That common sense is the solution to the issue they're going to all that time, trouble and expense in remedying?

What constitutes "looking under the bonnet occasionally"? If you check your coolant every single time you get in the car, then you're a better man than I.

Would it also then be 'common sense' to, say, check it several times during a journey too, just in case you can catch the level having dropped at that crucial point, that very point in time, when it was about to cause major damage?

I'm guessing there's something under the bonnet that could give rise to a leak in more unexpected circumstances than would be considered normal or routine hence the action they're taking. Clearly I don't know what, but equally clearly we must imagine they know a bit more about these things than we do.

I would imagine there would be a rumpus if you found out that there was an issue with your car that they knew about but chose to ignore and your engine was damaged. Be honest and say whether you'd be annoyed, livid even, or would you accept it with good grace and a philisophical shrug of the shoulders?

Edited by KB. on 16/01/2018 at 17:46

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - corax

Therefore you're saying that Ford need not have gone to the trouble? That rather than their technical people recognizing that there's some sort of problem that needs to be addressed, then they're just doing it for.... well... no reason at all? That common sense is the solution to the issue they're going to all that time, trouble and expense in remedying?

What constitutes "looking under the bonnet occasionally"? If you check your coolant every single time you get in the car, then you're a better man than I.

Would it also then be 'common sense' to, say, check it several times during a journey too, just in case you can catch the level having dropped at that crucial point, that very point in time, when it was about to cause major damage?

I'm guessing there's something under the bonnet that could give rise to a leak in more unexpected circumstances than would be considered normal or routine hence the action they're taking. Clearly I don't know what, but equally clearly we must imagine they know a bit more about these things than we do.

I would imagine there would be a rumpus if you found out that there was an issue with your car that they knew about but chose to ignore and your engine was damaged. Be honest and say whether you'd be annoyed, livid even, or would you accept it with good grace and a philisophical shrug of the shoulders?

Do you think occasionally means every single time?

I think there must be more info in this recall than noted in the original OP, because on the face of it, the above reads like "low coolant leads to engine overheating resulting in cylinder head damage, coolant sensor needs to be installed". I would have thought any modern car these days containing an ecoboost engine would have a coolant sensor fitted at the time of the cars design. Seems a strange afterthought to me, and maybe Ford should have gone to the trouble in the first place if that is the only reason for this recall.

Sensors can go wrong too - some earlier VAG cars were well known for it. It still pays to look under the bonnet as part of a maintenance check. Most of the time eyes are more reliable.

Funny how older cars have got along just fine without one.

On the subject of relying on sensors, if you see the 'low oil pressure' light come on, it's usually too late.

As for 'being annoyed, livid, apoplectic', I don't buy new cars, partly for this reason. By the time I buy a car, the recalls have usually been done, or any glaring weaknesses have already been addressed. So yes, if something goes wrong with one of my cars, I'll shrug my shoulders, accept it with good grace and buy another. I'll leave the 'gnashing of teeth' to the new car buyers, if they've been unlucky enough to put their trust in an untrustworthy manufacturer.

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - KB.

"Do you think occasionally means every single time?"

Not personally, no.

BUT, (and forgive me if I'm wrong - I often am) I received the impression that you were saying that checking the fluid level (at whatever frequency was deemed appropriate) was as effective a solution as that proposed by Ford and obviated the need for the said work. And my point was that you'd need to catch the, dangerously lowered, level immediately prior to it's causing the catastrophe - and the likelihood of getting your timing that spot-on must be negligible.

Point taken re. choosing to buy used rather than new. An old chestnut that will be raked over long after we're both gone. Usual rules apply .... if no-one bought new there wouldn't be any used cars to buy etc etc ad nauseum :-)

We always bought used, until we could afford to buy new with 5+ year warranties.

I check the oil and coolant level every week in the 1.6 and before and after every drive in the RS.

Edited by Finguz on 17/01/2018 at 07:21

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - madf

All very well checking coolant but without a sensor things can go wrong when travelling and the first you know is a ruined engine.

I drove to Scotland frequently in the late 1990s every two weeks or so. 700 mile round trip over two days usually but one day twice. At 70mph my Audi A4 TDI flashed engine overheating signs and I puulled onto hard shoulder from fast lane (fun!) Five pm in winter dark and cold. Torch out, opened bonnet, water over engine, top hose detached (serviced about 2,000 miles before). Breakdown Service sorted me out fresh coolant, hose reattached.

No damage done..If no sensor and warning, engine ruined no doubt.First warning would be engine slowing, strange sounds, steam and oil pressure warning light.. (and hole in block if ignored)

(Been there with an early 1960s Mini - hole through block.)

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - Falkirk Bairn

Mid 70s - car boils on Motorway - call breakdown company - employer did not pay AA & car was over 12 mths so out of warranty.

Turns out it was leaky hose - a turn of the screwdriver & a couple of pints of water fixed it - £50 bill that I paid & claimed back.

Manager £50 for 2 pints of water? rants on - My story was car boils - how much water is lost? Drive on & knacker the engine if there is none? £50 seems cheaper than an engine - he signed it off.

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - Steve Holderness

My 2013 fiesta st engine blew a hole in the engine block in May 2017 and I eventually (after 3 months of daily battles with Evans Halshaw Treforest, Ford and Ford Credit) had the engine replaced free of charge. It had full main dealer service history was 3 years and 9 months old and had done 46k miles. Not sure if related to this recall but seems interesting that it's been released now. I now have a 5 year old car with a 1 year old 9k miles engine so despite my reservations about Ford I'll be keeping it for the foreseeable future..

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - focus3

I have a 14 plate 1.6 ecoboost focus. I am having problem with the collant bypass valve which is one of the many parts to be replaced by this recall 17S09. It has taken 20 days but according to Ford warranty & policy my car is not part of the recall afterall. I have checked Etis not showing recall but my previous 2013 ford focus 1.6 ecoboost is being recalled. Do you know for sure that your 2014 is being recalled ie have you checked your reg on Etis or did the garage just assume yours might be recalled like they did with me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

100% sure.

It has been in and had the work done. The car was built on 21/01/2014.

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - skidpan

All very well checking coolant but without a sensor things can go wrong when travelling and the first you know is a ruined engine.

Most of the cars I have owned over the past 45 years or so have not had coolant sensors and I have yet to ruin an engine. We all know that a great many drivers simply ignore idiot lights and carry on driving until the thing stops. Even in the car does not have a working coolant sensor the temp gauge and/or warning light will allert the driver to a problem and the "STOP" message (or similar) will surely come on the dash when the temp is near critical.

I guess that Ford in the US are just covering themselves so that when they ask the owner "when did you last check the coolant" and they say "never" they have a get out of jail free card.

Edited by Avant on 10/04/2018 at 19:01

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - Axik

People are saying that the gaugle stays at the mid point until failure, and who are we to doubt them. All I know is that I'm still waiting for the recall on my 12 plate 1.6 Ecoboost, it's starting to leak coolant and the maindealer are fobbing me off.

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - Manatee

Most people don't check coolant levels between services. Very few cars blow up. Like the Rovers of ill-repute, these ecoboosts aren't as reliable as they should be in the conditions in which they are operated.

If the premise on which the temperature warnings work is that there is a full complement of coolant, they need the level sensor.

My daughter is an engineer and an expert in "Human Factors". She works with medical devices. These devices (typically injectors/inhalers) are only approved when they are as user-proof as possible. Just being OK when the instructions are followed to the letter is not considered sufficient.

Today we are used to things that "just work". So they have to.

Edited by Manatee on 02/06/2018 at 20:40

2014 Focus 1.6 Ecoboost recall - RobJP

People are saying that the gaugle stays at the mid point until failure, and who are we to doubt them. All I know is that I'm still waiting for the recall on my 12 plate 1.6 Ecoboost, it's starting to leak coolant and the maindealer are fobbing me off.

If a dealer is 'fobbing you off' and delaying the recall happening, put down in writing your concerns, along with what has happened. Make 2 copies, and send one by recorded delivery to the dealership. Make sure you keep the proof of posting, and get the receipted details from the Royal Mail website.

You will have then established liability in the event of a major failure.

Do note that it YOUR obligation to not allow what might be a minor fault to become a major fault, and to mitigate any expenses. So, if you know that the car is leaking coolant but continue to use it, if the engine suffers a catastrophic failure then you might be held liable for at least some of the loss and expense.