HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - fisjon

I purchased a new Hyundai i10 in December 2014. The rear brakes were sticking on right from the first mile. I have taken it back several times and asked at the anual service for the brakes to be checked. the problem persists three years on.

I have communicated with several other owners who have the same problem.

I have also filled out and sent a vehicle defect form to VOSA.

Be warned, there is a problem with the rear brakes on the HYUNDAI i10

Yesterday I paid the final bubble to own the car, today after going to the shops (5 miles) the rear right hand brake is smouldering with the heat. Not good, No wonder the car only does 33mpg.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - focussed

This rear brake problem on this model isn't exactly this week's breaking news, it's been going on for years.

Google for "Hyundai i10 rear brake problems" print it out and stick it in the dealer's face to get them to do something about it.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - JimmyV

Is that resolved in a later model? Have 2015 i10 1.2 auto. No issues yet

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - RobJP

So, it's been a terrible car, and yet you still paid off the PCP and bought it outright at the end of the term.

In addition, you've been quite happy to be fobbed off continually about the problem when the garage have failed to fix it. If it had been my car, I'd have refused to take it back until fixed. That's why you have a warranty, after all.

And after all that, you come on internet forums SHOUTING about how terrible Hyundai are.

All that, put together, says more about you than it does the car, I feel.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - badbusdriver

I'm sure CK91437 will be very interested in this one!

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - galileo

I'm sure CK91437 will be very interested in this one!

Or is this an alias of his?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - SLO76
The dealer is clearly useless. Have you communicated your issues to Hyundai customer services?
HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Robsnextcar
My partner drives a Hyundai i10 (2015) it is one of the best city cars there are....I love the little thing and whenever I drive it I always come home and tell her that she has a great little car.
I have only praise for our local Hyundai dealer (Motorline Hyundai Gloucester) we have had no issues at all.
As per the above comments - I think fault lies with you - you should persist with your dealer until the issue is resolved or take it to another Hyundai dealer.....and if you were not happy with the car or the customer service from your local dealership - why on earth did you pay off the final balance and keep the car!
HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - daveyK_UK
Is the OP’s model the last of the old shape or first of the new shape?
HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - argybargy

Even I, as the softest touch any garage or dealer is ever likely to come across, would not have accepted that 3 years of complaining about something so serious without anything being done to address it should end with me buying the car.

To coin a phrase, you've probably urinated on your French Fries by making that bubble payment.

Hi all, thanks for the response.

First of all the car is the new shape i10 64 reg

I was assurred that there were no faults in the braking system after it was returned for a check up. I was told that it was due to the damp weather causing the pads to stick on the disc and once the car was on themove it would be ok.

Obviously this has not been the case as the MOT inspector warned me to get it checked over due to excessive wear on the discs and pads.

Why did I pay the bubble, well if I gave the car back it would have cost me £7340 for which I would have nothing to show for. I don't have loads of money to buy a new car and don't want to keep paying out monthly. It's a case of economics. I might have a crap car but it is now paid for.

I emailed the dealer principle on the 13th Dec 2017 (Hutchings Pontypridd) he told me he would get back to me with a solution. I emailed him again yesterday 9th jan 2018, and phoned this morning, he was in a meeting of course and has not replied as yet to my email.

I have notified Hyundai of my dissapointment of the service

*as I write this the phone has rang, the dealer is collecting the car tommorow and will return it on Friday all fixed!!!! I will let you know what happens!

Who is CK91437?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Engineer Andy

Who is CK91437?

He (presumably) is a 'member' of this forum who, in my view (and it seems, of many others) likes to trash all things KIA (Hyundai's sister firm and wholy owned by them - the Picanto is essentially the same car underneath as the i10) for spurious/tenuous reasons, probably because he had a bad experience that didn't end well for him as it has yourself thus far. I also think he is very bitter and, after making a big thing originally to say he had 'no experience with cars' now likes to spout his opinions as if he now is an expert, only after a few months.

In my opinion, if you want an unbiased, reasoned opinion on your issue, then I'd personally ignore anything he says, listening to those already who have posted on this thread (check out other threads to see why) who are far more knowledgeable/experienced and don't have an axe to grind, even if you may find what some of them say rather blunt and critical of your own actions thus far.

I won't add to the previous comments as they essentially echo what I think. Best of luck though in resolving the problem.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Manatee

There is a rather bullying tone in the posts re CKetc.

He's entitled to his opinions and not to be sniped at when he hasn't even posted.

Isn't it enough to express disagreement with what he says without pouring scorn?

He's entitled to his opinions and not to be sniped at when he hasn't even posted.

Isn't it enough to express disagreement with what he says without pouring scorn?

Yes, he IS entitle to his opinion - the problem is that, in my view (and again, of many notable contributors) he's a hypocrite and is actively pursuing a personal vendetta (bring up any and all negative reports, often unrelated to the UK market, as others have said) against KIA and pretending he is 'giving advice' as if he were an expert when he admitted in his original post on the site (when he first started his [IMHO] tirade against Kia) that he knew VERY LITTLE about cars.

He also has been making very offensive statements on other threads, one of which the moderator had to step in to get him to retract and warned him about going after KIA in the way he did. All I and others are doing is warning new members who don't know of him to be wary of his assertions, as they could be taken as fact when they are likely to not be. All the OP (and any other new member) needs to do to prove this is to do a search of the forum (easy enough) and of ANYONE having an opinion they may wish to rely on (including my own - I have no problem on that score, and state whenever I am guessing, in the wrong or acknoweldege others if they put me right on an issue, unlike CK who stays slient).

Harrassing/persecuting people is one thing - calling them out for repeated inaccuracies (and worse) and unjustified vendettas and generalisations is a vital function of a discussion forum. I am not bullying CK at all - there is a difference in being blunt, and, in my opinion, truthful about an individual, and being a bully. If someone gave an opinion I thought was just wrong (with no 'agenda behind it), then I would just say so and why. In my view, and respectfully, there is a significant difference.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 10/01/2018 at 14:36

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - RT

Yes, he IS entitle to his opinion - the problem is that, in my view (and again, of many notable contributors) he's a hypocrite and is actively pursuing a personal vendetta (bring up any and all negative reports, often unrelated to the UK market, as others have said) against KIA and pretending he is 'giving advice' as if he were an expert when he admitted in his original post on the site (when he first started his [IMHO] tirade against Kia) that he knew VERY LITTLE about cars.

He also has been making very offensive statements on other threads, one of which the moderator had to step in to get him to retract and warned him about going after KIA in the way he did. All I and others are doing is warning new members who don't know of him to be wary of his assertions, as they could be taken as fact when they are likely to not be. All the OP (and any other new member) needs to do to prove this is to do a search of the forum (easy enough) and of ANYONE having an opinion they may wish to rely on (including my own - I have no problem on that score, and state whenever I am guessing, in the wrong or acknoweldege others if they put me right on an issue, unlike CK who stays slient).

Harrassing/persecuting people is one thing - calling them out for repeated inaccuracies (and worse) and unjustified vendettas and generalisations is a vital function of a discussion forum. I am not bullying CK at all - there is a difference in being blunt, and, in my opinion, truthful about an individual, and being a bully. If someone gave an opinion I thought was just wrong (with no 'agenda behind it), then I would just say so and why. In my view, and respectfully, there is a significant difference.

In a thread where he hasn't contributed, I think you're out of order even mentioning him.

Fair enough - if my criticism has been seen to be unwarranted or perhaps premature, as CK hasn't commented yet, then I apologise.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - KB.

I s'pose I might get ctiticised for saying so, and it might not be particularly relevant to the topic but, for what it's worth, I haven't, yet, spotted a single solitary post by the poster in question that added an iota of value, common sense, practicality, usefulness, humour or any other value worthy of the page space occupied.

Don't know how long he's been registered (assuming it is, in fact, "he" ) and it doesn't really matter, except to say a longer standing member who makes a poorly composed contribution now and again is more like to be forgiven than a newly registered individual weighing in with a succession of inappropriate posts that bring nothing to the party .... but I do know he has yet to add anything to the forum that's been worth reading and if mention of his content happens to have been brought up in error by a fellow member, then, for my part, it's no great trangression.

oooh! I see red mist..............

Have I intruded?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Avant

Can we stick to discussing Fisjon's Hyundai please.

As moderator, Fisjon, I do apologise for some irrelevant posts. The person mentioned has made some unhelpful posts on other threads, but not this one, so let's leave them out of it.

My elder daughter is on her second i10 (this one is a new-shape May 2015 model) with no problems: one would hope that the rear brake issue is relatively uncommon. But ibinding brake shouldn't be a big thing for a dealer to fix, and you've had some poor service.

Good luck with the dealer's latest attempt: do ledt us know the outcome.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - barney100

What would cause the brakes to stick that's so difficult to fix by a competent mechanic?

Thanks to AVANT for your input.

Barney100 As the problem was evident from new, I would assume that it is non lubrication of the brake caliper sliders when assembled at the factory. Of course I could have whipped the wheel off and checked the slider pins myself but that would mean breaking the manufacturer seal (the blue paste) and invalidating the warranty. The dealer should have done this as part of the check, but it appears that they have only jacked up the car and spun the wheel to evaluate the problem.

Throughout the 70's I worked in the trade at Nash of Cardiff (Vauxhaul dealer) in the stores department. Over time I have rebuilt many Honda 4 engines and restored several early japanese motorcycles to concours quality. I also own and maintain a 21 year old Mercedes 312d Sprinter motor home and a Yamaha 900 Shaft drive tourer. I am not afraid to put on the overalls and get the job done. I could have easily sorted this problem out myself. But why should I do that?

As for the little Hyundai. I bought this as I approached retirement to have a car that required no home maintenance, ie dealer service plan. As one of the contributors above stated it is probably my fault for not being tough enough with the dealer. I suppose I should have stomped in there and demanded to speak with the gaffa and made a fuss. As it happens I did have two disagreements with the service rep on this issue but she clearly has her own agenda on how to deal with cuastomers. She certainly is not helping the dealer create a database of happy cuatomers.

The car was taken to the dealer on the back of a truck this morning at 10.30. As I have the choice of the Sprinter or my Yamaha 900 shaft drive tourer to play with I have told them not to bring it back until they are certain they have sorted the proplem out. I intend to check the work once it is returned as I have little faith in their ability to function.

I will llet you know what happens. In the meantime I am going to calm down by playing 'Julia Florida' by Barrios on my classical guitar.

talk soon!

The Hyundai dealer has rung me to say thay tested the car and found that the back brakes were running hot so they have put new discs, pads and calipers on the car. I just hope they have greased the sliders.

They have asked me if they can keep the car for a few days so they can make sure that the handbrake system is not causing a problem. I should have it back on Monday.

I just hope that nobody is runing around in it this weekend!!!

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - oldroverboy.

The Hyundai dealer has rung me to say thay tested the car and found that the back brakes were running hot so they have put new discs, pads and calipers on the car. I just hope they have greased the sliders.

They have asked me if they can keep the car for a few days so they can make sure that the handbrake system is not causing a problem. I should have it back on Monday.

Many years ago i brought my lotus back to the Uk to an independent lotus dealer in Yardley Wood, Birmingham for an engine rebuild, I also asked them to do everything else thet deemed necessary, and asked them to drive it around for a week to make sure it was ok, they did and when I got it back it was superbly done.

Nothing wrong if is being properly tested, and good to hear you have a resolution.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 13/01/2018 at 16:17

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - CK91437

Nice to see they have replaced some parts. I assume it is free under warranty.

Pity they didn't do it before, and it came to this before they provided a decent service.

As you say, hopefully it is being driven with care, and not being thrashed cold by some m****.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - skidpan

I just hope they have greased the sliders

If they did I hope they used to correct grease. Road dirt has a habit of sticking to the wrong stuff and will cause them to start sticking in no time.

Hi all,
The car was returned to me this morning on the back of a truck.
A quick observation shows that the discs pads and the complete calipers/holders have been renewed.

It now runs smoother, quieter and is much more brisk than it ever has been. This indicates that the rear brakes have been binding since I have had the car (new 2014) and is the reason why 32mpg is showing on the average mileage readout. I have also noted that when you apply the handbrake on a hill and take your foot of the brake pedal the rear of the car rides up. It has never done that before so it looks like the binding was worse than I thought. It is sad that you cannot trust a main dealer to take proper care of you car.

I suspect that Hyundai fitted calipers without grease on the sliders on the assembly line, I cannot think of any other reason why the rear brakes would not release on a new car.
Poor show Hyundai, worse still, the dealer. No excuse for such shoddy customer service. No appology or contact as yet!

Nest question, do I keep the car or swap it for a classic aluminium bodied XJ6 Jaguar, that will be fun!

Nest question, do I keep the car or swap it for a classic aluminium bodied XJ6 Jaguar, that will be fun!

Which do you expect to be most reliable and cheaper to run?

If "fun" is a major factor why did you buy a city car?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - 72 dudes

Good to see you back Skiddy. Have you heard the expression "tongue in cheek" I wonder?

I think the OP was having a little fun.

I think the OP was having a little fun.

Like he was having a little fun when he bought a car that had unsolved safety issues after 3 years of use.

I personally think he was being serious.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - daveyK_UK

This seems like a case of Hyundai having issues with the indian factory quality control, a repeat problem for all manufacturers in India with the expection being Suzuki.

i would like a Jag, but it wouldn't fit on the drive nor would I be able to park it in town, so totally impractical. So yes, tounge in cheek!

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Andrew-T

I suspect that Hyundai fitted calipers without grease on the sliders on the assembly line, I cannot think of any other reason why the rear brakes would not release on a new car.

One possibility might be that the car had been parked in the open after unloading from a ship for several months before reaching a dealer. Seems unlikely for a Hyundai, but it certainly used to happen for other makes.

One possibility might be that the car had been parked in the open after unloading from a ship for several months before reaching a dealer. Seems unlikely for a Hyundai, but it certainly used to happen for other makes.

Most cars spend most of their time stationery with the handbrake on, ie, an hour comute in the morning, all day on the handbrake, then an hour comute on the way home. all night on the handbrake. Down the shops and back at the weekend then the handbrake on for the rest of the time.

As the sliders are sealed from the weather if they are greased properly I can't see why, especially when they are new, they would seize up. If they are dry that is another matter.

My Merc motor caravan spends a lot of time parked up and I don't have a problem with brakes siezing up. the old bus has done in excess of 191,000 miles too.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Andrew-T

<< ... sliders are sealed from the weather ... >

They'll need to be pretty good seals to keep weather (and salt) out for long on a disk-brake caliper. Even forgetting the vigorous use of a hose in winter?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - Mike H

Our Honda CR-V had a 60,000km service this week, and I was pleased to see that the caliper sliding surfaces have been greased. Sticking rear brake calipers can be a bit of a problem here on Austria, with wet salt roads in the winter, so I was heartened to see that the dealer has pre-empted any problems.

Edited by Mike H on 19/01/2018 at 17:32

Our Honda CR-V had a 60,000km service this week, and I was pleased to see that the caliper sliding surfaces have been greased. Sticking rear brake calipers can be a bit of a problem here on Austria, with wet salt roads in the winter, so I was heartened to see that the dealer has pre-empted any problems.

What more could one want than a dealer with a bit of foresight and a willingness to please his customers!

Hi Guys,

I went for a 12 mile round trip this morning and guess what, the rear right hand brake is running hot and smelling like a rubber band, the three other wheels are OK.

So, with a complete new set of brakes on the rear of the car there still is a problem.

As I have driven another i10 (courtesy car) with the same problem on the right hand rear wheel there has to be a comon factor in this.

Faulty parts or poor design. Hand brake cable?

Any ideas men!

On Monday I intend to drive the car for a 12 mile trip ending up at the dealer. If the wheel is hot I will park it adjacent to the showroom door and the heat from the wheel should keep the door open :-)

Anyone want to buy a pre owned i10?

Edited by fisjon on 20/01/2018 at 12:46

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - scot22

Only looked occasionally at this thread. It seems repetitive, noting and pointless. Just wanted to say !

Only looked occasionally at this thread. It seems repetitive, noting and pointless. Just wanted to say !

Thanks scot22.

If you had an i10 and the rear brakes locked up you would soon change your mind.

Hyundai PR got in touch 9.03 Monday morning. Very apologetic!
I have been to the dealer today after running the car on a 20 mile trip and both rear brakes were running as they should.

I have been assured that if the problem occurs again they will take the car in and give it a thorough nit pick through the braking system. Crossed fingers this won't happen but 'sods law' etc.

I would encourage any Hyundai i10/i20 owners who are having issues with poor fuel economy to talk with Hyundai PR. Your car could have dragging brakes and that is dangerous.

I have also spoken with an engineer from VOSA and they have taken this issue up with Hyundai. All parties are now aware of this issue.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - RobJP

Thanks scot22.

If you had an i10 and the rear brakes locked up you would soon change your mind.

Hyundai PR got in touch 9.03 Monday morning. Very apologetic!
I have been to the dealer today after running the car on a 20 mile trip and both rear brakes were running as they should.

I have been assured that if the problem occurs again they will take the car in and give it a thorough nit pick through the braking system. Crossed fingers this won't happen but 'sods law' etc.

I would encourage any Hyundai i10/i20 owners who are having issues with poor fuel economy to talk with Hyundai PR. Your car could have dragging brakes and that is dangerous.

I have also spoken with an engineer from VOSA and they have taken this issue up with Hyundai. All parties are now aware of this issue.

Once again, your post is emotive and grossly exaggerates.

You state that the car is 'dangerous'. No, it isn't. It's a pain, but it's not 'dangerous' - or if it is, then you're admitting to having driven around in a car in an unroadworthy condition for a number of years. Which means you've been driving around in breach of your insurance for all that time too. Will you be informing your insurance company of how 'dangerous' your car is, I wonder ?

You now go on about the brakes 'locking up'. This has, however, never happened to you - in spite of the 'dangerous' car being used by you for a few years now.

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - alan1302

f you had an i10 and the rear brakes locked up you would soon change your mind.

If it had been my i10 it would have been sorted out a long time ago and not let it drag on for ages - how could you have let them not sort it out when you say it is so dangerous?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - argybargy

I had a similar problem with the rear brakes on my old Focus, but I dealt with it as soon as it became apparent. We live on a steep hill, and over the course of a couple of days I noticed that the car seemed to be struggling more than usual to negotiate the incline. It was the smell that eventually alerted me to the issue: offside rear shoes sticking on. The drum was red hot, as was the alloy, so I risked ending up with a warped wheel as well.

Took it to a local garage who told me that it needed a new handbrake cable. Fair enough, although they turned out to be the biggest bunch of incompetents I'd dealt with in years, and the clumsy, ignorant oaf who did the job wrecked the plastic shroud on my handbrake by prising it off with what I can only assume to be a chisel, rather than carefully levering it away from the retaining lugs.

Eventually they replaced the shroud and I got the car back with what appeared to be properly functioning rear brakes, but I still felt it necessary to have them checked again by someone I trusted.

Edited by argybargy on 26/01/2018 at 08:55

f you had an i10 and the rear brakes locked up you would soon change your mind.

If it had been my i10 it would have been sorted out a long time ago and not let it drag on for ages - how could you have let them not sort it out when you say it is so dangerous?

I took it back to the garage 8 times with the same complaint. Each time the fault would not present itself, or they were lying! Without the faut showing they were not going to do anything about it. What do I do, have a paddy in the showroom about a gremlin that was hiding?

The last occasion when the car was taken away on a truck, the rear right hand brake was well and truly jammed on. They tested it and finally the fault was present and they eventually put it right, I think! So far it is ok.

So I defend myself.

As for the dealer and Hyundai, I would just say that I won't be buying another one!

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - alan1302

8 times in 3 years and you thought it was very dangerous?

Why not take to it to another dealer? Why not leave the car with them until it's sorted? If they are not taking it seriusly why not take it up with Hyundai themselves?

HYUNDAI i10 - Dangerous brakes POOR HYUNDAI CUSTOMER SERVICE - colric

There is an ongoing problem with the brakes on some i10 cars as voiced by a number of HJ readers. See also HJ's comment on the 2014 i10 under Achilles Heel, regarding i10 brakes.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/hyundai/i10-2014/

Also in the good/bad section, at least three readers have reported the need to have brake discs and or pads replaced around 16000 miles. I am able to park my i10 on a flat section of my drive, in gear and the handbrake not applied. I can often hear the rear pads releasing when first driving the car in the morning but they do not stick when under way.

Still, in my opinion a great car and after more than two years of ownership apart from the slightly delayed release of the rear brakes when the car is first driven, I have not yet had any serious problems with the brakes and no problems with anything else.

Regarding the Hyundai 5 warranty; the brakes are only covered for two years!