VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - Rig88

Hi,

So after a sudden drop in power and running really rough. I got my codes up and Cylinder 1 was misfiring. I suspected a coil or spark plug had gone, so to test the coils first, I reset the code changed the coil 1 with 3. The car still ran rough but now Cylinder 3 is misfiring, now I have the part which I consider faulty, I decided to try this 'faulty' coil on the cylinder 2. As I suspected, cylinder 2 then started to misfire whilst the other two cylinders ran fine.

I got a new coil but unfortunately this new coil isn't working. Which ever cylinder this new coil is on, it throws up the same error on whichever Cylinder the coil is on.

I've compared the two coil and the new one is like 5/6mm bigger than the old one, is it possible it isn't seating properly? Could I have a faulty one? or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rig

VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - hardway

Where did you buy the coil?

I suspect not VW,

And would suggest you go to the dealers.

There's some absolute junk out there masquerading as quality.

VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - elekie&a/c doctor

What you are very likely to be "missing" is cylinder compression. These 3 cylinder engines are notorious for burnt valves and worn valve guides. Get a compression and cylinder leakage test carried out. This will give misfire codes.

VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - Rig88

I might be missing something here, this isn't my trade, but why code the codes follow where I'm putting this new coil? Surely if I wasn't getting the compression I needed it would be consistent codes? The code that appears depends on where I'm putting the bad coil?

I purchased the coil at Euro Car Parts, I'm going to go and get it exchanged tonight to see if that makes a difference.

VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - hardway

Agreed,

your moving the fault when switchin the coils around.

As "Doc" states these are well known for compression issues but I think not here.

I'm with a suspect coil which wouldn't be the first time I've come across new parts from the box being dud!

New O/E coil needed here.

VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - Cyd

Steer well clear of those HAAS coils from ECP. Get it replaced with a Bosch and pay the extra.

Thus speaks the voice of experience - also on a Polo 1.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeJ0P9XTBRg

VW Polo 1.2 Hatch 1.2 - Misfire on cylinder, ignition coil? - Bustedcar

Hi

I realise this was months ago, I have the same issue. Just wondered if this problem was sorted by swapping Haas for OE Ignition Coils?