Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Adam Wilson

Hi all

First post looking for some advice.

Since Jan 2014 my wife has been driving our insignia diesel estate the 60 mile round trip to work. We've moved house now so her journey will only be 4 miles per day and the insurance on the insignia went from £300 p/a to £500 p/a due to the house move. Anyway enough of my rattling on....

We've been looking for to do a "swap" with a garage for a small car that would suit our needs, several options have come and gone for various reasons (not all corsas have split rear seats for example)....we've found the following 2 cars and want some thoughts and opinions.

Citroen c3 1.2 vtr+ (2014 - 43,000miles) 5 door. £5700

Citroen DS3 1.6 diesel (2010 - 73,000 miles) 3 door. £5000

Bearing in mind we have a car seat for our 4 year old and bearing in mind the 4 miles round trip which would you go for? It's just the two of them 99% of the time as I commute on the train.

Would that diesel engine have problems with only being run on short town journies?

I must admit the ds3 does look nicer but for me the c3 petrol is the better choice.

Sorry for the long post.

Adam

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - badbusdriver

Sorry, but i wouldn't have either as citroen don't have a great reputation for reliability. And a diesel, for this miles would make no sense at all.

For £6k i'd be looking at the honda jazz, toyota yaris, kia rio, hyundai i20 or mazda 2.

But if it had to be one of your 2 it would be the C3 no question due solely to the petrol engine being much less likely to go expensively wrong!.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Andrew-T

Sorry, but i wouldn't have either as citroen don't have a great reputation for reliability. ...

Most cars are reliable for most of the time; some makes are marginally less reliable than others. How do you respond when you buy a 'reliable' car and it lets you down?

In over 50 years of ownership I have managed to avoid buying an unreliable car. A litlle of this is due to careful buying, some to regular maintenance and sympathetic driving, but a good deal to good fortune. Much of an individual's preference for or against a manufacturer, which he/she says is due to reliability, is usually prejudice of some sort.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - gordonbennet

The DS3 is impracticle as a 3 door for family use, it's also 'blessed' with the Diesel of Doom which needs to be serviced and cared for above and beyond and allowed to warm up and cool down for hopefully a long turbo long life, with reasonable runs to keep the DPF happy, and even after all that there is no guarantee the thing won't give trouble because you don't know wnat it's previous use and care has been.

One thing in PSA's favour with usage not ideal for modern Diesels is that their EOLYS additive system does seem to keep the DPF clear with the sort of motoring other makes would have problems.

I agree the DS3 is a very pretty car, and you are right that petrol is right for you.

Lots of reading to found here on the 1.6HDi, and its not alone in having problems (usually turbo related), German Diesels aint what they used to be either, what with timing chains of cheese, EGR valves that last 5 minutes or oil pump drives of the most idiotic design.

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/01/2018 at 10:46

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - scot22

Before discovering the forum I bought a 4 year old car with the " diesel of doom '. I am obsessive about maintenance. It has cost me a lot of money for dpf, get and turbo. For some a diesel makes sense but for others.....

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - SLO76
You won’t get a good deal doing a swap so get a valuation from webuyanycar and check other dealers and selling sites with a view to selling rather than swapping. Then buy with no trade in, you’ll then be in a vastly better position to negotiate.

Dealers regard people who want to swap as either wanting out of a trouble prone car or being skint and out of options, either way they’ll take your trousers down on any swap deal.

I’d leave the C3/DS3, especially any with the now notorious 1.6 diesel and look at the Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta (with the Yamaha 1.25/1.4 petrols) Toyota Yaris 1.33 or Suzuki Swift 1.2. All are vastly more reliable and better to drive than the Citroen plus they’ll be much easier to sell on again later and will achieve higher prices.

Thanks for the replies so far.... The info on the diesel is good to know, I knew it wouldn't be the right choice but the Mrs likes the look of it.

Maybe it's the wrong time of year, but within 40 miles of us there isn't much about at the moment that fits the bill.

Any thoughts on the Nissan note?

The first gen cars were well made, practical and good value but the second gen cars don’t seem anything like as robust. Remember Nissan is owned by Renault and essentially their entire range is based on Renault running gear, suspension and electronics. The last Note did still use a Nissan designed 1.2 3cyl petrol motor but otherwise quality took a dive. They’re cheap used but for good reason, customers are generally not that happy with them. The Fiesta, Swift, Yaris and Mazda 2 will be much better to own and easier to sell on again.

Just for the record... Webuyanycar offered us £3630 for ours, that's really quite offensive!

Unfortunately many of the suggestions above are either too small or there just aren't any around us.... It really does seem to be slim pickings as the moment.

We're also in a position where my wife cannot be without a car for even a day, unless she will be paying for taxis to and from work.

“Just for the record... Webuyanycar offered us £3630 for ours, that's really quite offensive!“

They tend to be quite good for low mileage retailable stock but hit above average miles/poor condition or history quite hard. Shop around for the best price, its highly unlikely you’ll get it in a swap deal. The only way you would is if the other car is heavily overpriced.

Out of curiosity what age and mileage is your car and does it have a full history of annual servicing?
“Just for the record... Webuyanycar offered us £3630 for ours, that's really quite offensive!“ They tend to be quite good for low mileage retailable stock but hit above average miles/poor condition or history quite hard. Shop around for the best price, its highly unlikely you’ll get it in a swap deal. The only way you would is if the other car is heavily overpriced. Out of curiosity what age and mileage is your car and does it have a full history of annual servicing?

It's a 2.0 diesel Sri 2012 on an 11 plate... Done 70,900 miles. Full s/h, just had a major service... Tbh it's a great car that I wouldn't want to be getting rid of it it wasn't for the insurance cost and change of circumstance.

“It's a 2.0 diesel Sri 2012 on an 11 plate... Done 70,900 miles. Full s/h, just had a major service... Tbh it's a great car that I wouldn't want to be getting rid of it it wasn't for the insurance cost and change of circumstance.”

A quick look on Autotrader and I’ve found several similar age 2011-2012 with similar mileages for sale at dealers with warranties around £4,500-£5,000. Factor in prep costs, warranty, advertising and vat on the profit and £3,500-£4,000 is around the trade value of your car. If you want much more you’ll need to sell it privately. Get a price from other dealers, many of whom will buy in stock like this but they expect a decent margin to offset the risk of engine issues with this Fiat designed motor which is prone to a number of problems.
“It's a 2.0 diesel Sri 2012 on an 11 plate... Done 70,900 miles. Full s/h, just had a major service... Tbh it's a great car that I wouldn't want to be getting rid of it it wasn't for the insurance cost and change of circumstance.” A quick look on Autotrader and I’ve found several similar age 2011-2012 with similar mileages for sale at dealers with warranties around £4,500-£5,000. Factor in prep costs, warranty, advertising and vat on the profit and £3,500-£4,000 is around the trade value of your car. If you want much more you’ll need to sell it privately. Get a price from other dealers, many of whom will buy in stock like this but they expect a decent margin to offset the risk of engine issues with this Fiat designed motor which is prone to a number of problems.

I had a good look around autotrader and the cheapest version I could find of mine within 100 miles was £5000, with the others being in the £5500-£6000 bracket. My gut feeling for a part ex offer on mine was £4250, then I'd put the rest towards the car we're looking at.

“We're also in a position where my wife cannot be without a car for even a day, unless she will be paying for taxis to and from work.”

No need to be without a car. Get a valuation on it that you’re happy with then go hunting for something else. It can all be arranged to be done in one day. Even if it did mean using a bus/taxi for a day it could cost you hundreds if not more if you do a poor deal.

I did a deal via WBAC a few years back for a relative. She got £10,200 for a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium, the same price as offered on their website (the car was perfect) and we picked up the replacement at a local dealer the same day. The deal saved her £1,000 (£700 on the Fiesta and £300 discount) over the origional part ex offer after I negotiated a no trade in discount.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/01/2018 at 12:42

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - SteveLee

The C3 is probably less reliable than a Toyota, yes - but they are by no means unreliable. They ride really well and non-turbo petrol manuals are unlikely to break down. They are also much better motorway cruisers than practically all of the Japanese equivilants should you require to do a long journey.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Engineer Andy

Just for the record... Webuyanycar offered us £3630 for ours, that's really quite offensive!

Be careful - if I recall, some of those types of outfits give one 'valuation' over the phone/web and then suddenly reduce it once you've committed to buying another car and have to sell the original, amazingly finding many 'new' scratches, dents, stone chips etc that 'weren't there' or the customer' didn't tell them about' before.

Please don't take offence (rather easily, if I may add) at SLO's comments - he has a great reputation as a car dealer of many years standing and knows the industry very well, and besides, he was probably guessing as to the age of your car, which you hadn't given.

Perhaps a general 'lessons learned' exercise to look into issues related to moving home before doing so, in order to make plans to adjust before they become a problem, as has been the case here.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - pd

The way WBAC works £3600 is about right for a car retailing at £5000-5500.

Think about it: WBAC are wholly owned by BCA (British Car Auctions). So, the car will obviously go to auction.

Assuming WBAC want to make a small profit on it after transport costs, overheads, auction costs etc. even if they get £4000 on the block for it they'll struggle to clear £200. That £4000 car then has fees on top for the buyer, plus no doubt delivery etc, so will end up £4300 or so by the time it is sitting in a dealer's in yard. There is then the risk it will need faults fixing, need valeting, probably some smart repairs, plus advertising, storage, VAT margin, maybe a warranty etc. so it really needs to be at £5500 to clear £600 or so out of it and the seller still has the gamble it is a relatively leggy Vauxhall which might come back with an issue.

I think some people are unrealistic about the real costs of marketing, prepping, supporting, storing, transporting and financing used cars.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - barney100

Citroen seem to get a lot of negative comments, is this warranted? I have never owned one but always thought they had individuality.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - corax

Citroen seem to get a lot of negative comments, is this warranted? I have never owned one but always thought they had individuality.

I think the days of Citroen's quirkiness with cars such as the CX are long gone. They don't even seem to have the famed soft ride that they were known for, a shame really as they could have found many potential buyers fed up of todays hard suspended cars, Berlingo being an exception. With Citroen I think simpler is better.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - badbusdriver

I think the days of Citroen's quirkiness with cars such as the CX are long gone. They don't even seem to have the famed soft ride that they were known for, a shame really as they could have found many potential buyers fed up of todays hard suspended cars, Berlingo being an exception. With Citroen I think simpler is better.

Not strictly true regarding the ride. They certainly went through a phase of trying to make their cars ride like they were German, i.e, rock hard. But the recently retired C3 Picasso always had a lovely supple loping ride. The C4 cactus continues in very much the same way, as does the new C3, and soon to be released C3 aircross.

The DS models seem to be a mixed bag in this respect, with the DS4 and DS5 reputedly both having a very harsh ride, though going by what I have read in the motoring press, the facelifted versions (with the citroen 'chevrons' nowhere to be seen) of the DS5 are much better.

I think the DS5 is a fabulous looking thing, so, so much more interesting to look at than all the 'me too' Germans. I applaud anyone brave enough to buy one, as I don't think I would ever buy one myself due to concerns over build quality, reliability and customer service.

Not strictly true regarding the ride. They certainly went through a phase of trying to make their cars ride like they were German, i.e, rock hard. But the recently retired C3 Picasso always had a lovely supple loping ride. The C4 cactus continues in very much the same way, as does the new C3, and soon to be released C3 aircross.

The DS models seem to be a mixed bag in this respect, with the DS4 and DS5 reputedly both having a very harsh ride, though going by what I have read in the motoring press, the facelifted versions (with the citroen 'chevrons' nowhere to be seen) of the DS5 are much better.

+1

I've owned multiple Citroëns over the years:

CX 2.4 Safari and a CX Turbo 2 (biggest automotive regret ever (selling it)) - totally reliable – only fault was terrible ventilation - the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

GS - points would close up causing misfire (no conensor fault) – but never stranded.

BX 1.4 – Nothing went wrong.

Xantia 1.8 – Totally reliable.

XM Mk2 2.016v – Nothing went wrong at all – fantastic car – wish I still had it.

C5 V6 – One dodgy coil stick causing a misfire (fixed quickly with aftermarket one) the only fault.

So I’ve never actually been let down or stranded by a Citroën despite probably covering well over half a million miles in Citroëns, car’s I’ve experienced breakdowns in: Range Rover (original – my P38 was excellent), Audi 100 (brake failure and transmission failure), SAAB 900 Turbo (fuel injection fault), BMW 635i (electrical issue), BMW 730i (electrical issue), Honda CR/V (total DMF failure), Triumph Dolomite Sprint (water pump). Hillman Imp (Ditto), Nissan Primera (con-rod failure), VW Golf GTi (clutch exploded (my fault due to “GP” starts with 4 adults in the car!))

There may have been others - I can’t recollect now, but you get the point – Citroen does not automatically mean unreliability – even in the days when they were vastly more complicated than other cars on the road they could still be reliable.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - corax

I've owned multiple Citroëns over the years:

CX 2.4 Safari and a CX Turbo 2 (biggest automotive regret ever (selling it)) - totally reliable – only fault was terrible ventilation - the most comfortable car I've ever driven.

GS - points would close up causing misfire (no conensor fault) – but never stranded.

BX 1.4 – Nothing went wrong.

Xantia 1.8 – Totally reliable.

XM Mk2 2.016v – Nothing went wrong at all – fantastic car – wish I still had it.

C5 V6 – One dodgy coil stick causing a misfire (fixed quickly with aftermarket one) the only fault.

So I’ve never actually been let down or stranded by a Citroën despite probably covering well over half a million miles in Citroëns, car’s I’ve experienced breakdowns in: Range Rover (original – my P38 was excellent), Audi 100 (brake failure and transmission failure), SAAB 900 Turbo (fuel injection fault), BMW 635i (electrical issue), BMW 730i (electrical issue), Honda CR/V (total DMF failure), Triumph Dolomite Sprint (water pump). Hillman Imp (Ditto), Nissan Primera (con-rod failure), VW Golf GTi (clutch exploded (my fault due to “GP” starts with 4 adults in the car!))

There may have been others - I can’t recollect now, but you get the point – Citroen does not automatically mean unreliability – even in the days when they were vastly more complicated than other cars on the road they could still be reliable.

Wow, that's a good spread of assorted cars cars over your lifetime SteveLee!

Wow, that's a good spread of assorted cars cars over your lifetime SteveLee!

That's just a subset - there's another 15-20 I reckon! Should spend an hour and jot 'em all down one day!

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - oldroverboy.

The way WBAC works £3600 is about right for a car retailing at £5000-5500.

Think about it: WBAC are wholly owned by BCA (British Car Auctions). So, the car will obviously go to auction.

Assuming WBAC want to make a small profit on it after transport costs, overheads, auction costs etc. even if they get £4000 on the block for it they'll struggle to clear £200. That £4000 car then has fees on top for the buyer, plus no doubt delivery etc, so will end up £4300 or so by the time it is sitting in a dealer's in yard. There is then the risk it will need faults fixing, need valeting, probably some smart repairs, plus advertising, storage, VAT margin, maybe a warranty etc. so it really needs to be at £5500 to clear £600 or so out of it and the seller still has the gamble it is a relatively leggy Vauxhall which might come back with an issue.

I think some people are unrealistic about the real costs of marketing, prepping, supporting, storing, transporting and financing used cars.

I said in reply to a post a while back that i wtnessed a lady crying when she was told how much she would get in PX for her 1 year old MG GS. £18000 something new..

If a particular vehicle is hard to shift/liable to "issues", the trade isn't entirely daft... and i would not expect them to be either.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 02/01/2018 at 19:23

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - liammcl

just to throw it out there,
for £3000 , you could get 10 peugeot 106s

eg
www.gumtree.com/search?featured_filter=false&v...1

Cheers
Liam

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - skidpan

The first gen cars were well made, practical and good value but the second gen cars don’t seem anything like as robust. Remember Nissan is owned by Renault and essentially their entire range is based on Renault running gear, suspension and electronics. The last Note did still use a Nissan designed 1.2 3cyl petrol motor but otherwise quality took a dive. They’re cheap used but for good reason, customers are generally not that happy with them.

Nissan is not owned by Renault. Renault own 43% of Nissan and they share technology just like most makers do.

Wife has got a 2015 Note and is very happy with it. It was cheap to buy new with the huge £4000 discount from the local dealer (brokers were no cheaper) so if its cheap 2nd hand it does not matter. The 1.2 DIG-S has sufficient power and an engine sound that is different with real character. MPG is about 48 over the 2 1/2 years we have had it.

My only complaint about the car relates to the moderators on the Note Forum. They hate the Mk 2 Note and will not permit happy owners to say so. I joined the Forum, said I was happy and was banned. The reason given was I would upset unhappy owners. Another member was banned the same week for the same reason. The mods now call people who buy Mk 2 Notes fools for wasting their money and advise they buy excellent cars such as the Vauxhall Mokka. The forum will die and justifiably so. If you want to know about the car that is the last place to look.

IMHO the car is far better than the Jazz my dad owned which was noisy, rode badly and had uncomfortable seats. It never broke but who wants an unpleasant but reliable car. The Note has never broken and is nice to drive and be in.

The first gen cars were well made, practical and good value but the second gen cars don’t seem anything like as robust. Remember Nissan is owned by Renault and essentially their entire range is based on Renault running gear, suspension and electronics. The last Note did still use a Nissan designed 1.2 3cyl petrol motor but otherwise quality took a dive. They’re cheap used but for good reason, customers are generally not that happy with them.

Nissan is not owned by Renault. Renault own 43% of Nissan and they share technology just like most makers do.

Wife has got a 2015 Note and is very happy with it. It was cheap to buy new with the huge £4000 discount from the local dealer (brokers were no cheaper) so if its cheap 2nd hand it does not matter. The 1.2 DIG-S has sufficient power and an engine sound that is different with real character. MPG is about 48 over the 2 1/2 years we have had it.

My only complaint about the car relates to the moderators on the Note Forum. They hate the Mk 2 Note and will not permit happy owners to say so. I joined the Forum, said I was happy and was banned. The reason given was I would upset unhappy owners. Another member was banned the same week for the same reason. The mods now call people who buy Mk 2 Notes fools for wasting their money and advise they buy excellent cars such as the Vauxhall Mokka. The forum will die and justifiably so. If you want to know about the car that is the last place to look.

IMHO the car is far better than the Jazz my dad owned which was noisy, rode badly and had uncomfortable seats. It never broke but who wants an unpleasant but reliable car. The Note has never broken and is nice to drive and be in.

Renault holds a 43.4% stake in Nissan, while Nissan owns 15% of non voting Renault shares. Renault are the dominant partner and effectively own the firm. They provide the bulk of financing and the majority of Nissan’s European products are based on Renault technology and architecture. They may describe it as a partnership but in reality the French firm own a controlling share of the joint firm as by far the largest share holder. As for the second gen Note well I don’t think it’s a bad wee car to drive but it’s not as well built or proving as robust as the origional. I’ll agree that it’s a better drive than a Mk II Jazz which is probably the least enjoyable supermini to drive in recent years, it genuinely is no joy to pilot at all which is odd for a small fwd hatch. But cost cutting compared to the previous gen cars is very obvious.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/01/2018 at 08:34

<< IMHO the car is far better than the Jazz my dad owned which was noisy, rode badly and had uncomfortable seats. It never broke but who wants an unpleasant but reliable car. The Note has never broken and is nice to drive and be in. >>

It takes all sorts. My daughter had a Note (first gen I guess) but had to give it up because she found the seats impossible. People come in all shapes and sizes - she is small with short legs. The car seemed reliable enough.

<< IMHO the car is far better than the Jazz my dad owned which was noisy, rode badly and had uncomfortable seats. It never broke but who wants an unpleasant but reliable car. The Note has never broken and is nice to drive and be in. >>

It takes all sorts. My daughter had a Note (first gen I guess) but had to give it up because she found the seats impossible. People come in all shapes and sizes - she is small with short legs. The car seemed reliable enough.

I think Skidpan's car is a mk2 Note though. As SLO says though, its the overall reliability of all Notes that should be taken into account, not just one person's good experience with it, especially as the majority of all cars are generally reliable, its just a matter of degree.

I think Skidpan's car is a mk2 Note though.

Ours is indeed a Mk2 Note.

Back in 2007 dad decided the Jazz had to go. He had never been happy with the ride (after an Almera) but the final straw that required replacement was mothers worsening mobility. Sh simply could not get out of the passenger seat, the base slope rearwards and trapped her, no way to adjust it.

At the time the Mk1 Note was the darling of mobility so looked like a good bet to replace the Jazz. But she could not get into one. The distance from the edge of the cill to the seat was so big she was in danger of falling before she was in. Proves no cars suits all users.

They bought a Micra. Perfect for mother, good ride, pretty refined and very nice seats for a supermini. They used it for 7 years then we had it but it was simply a bit small for us after the Ceed.

Initially we ignored the Mk2 Note (and the current Micra) when looking for a replacement simply because the Micra was universally described as rubbish and the poor experience with the Mk1 Note. But after finding no suitable aternatives (Kia Venga was the best but too high for mother) we went for a look and it seemed perfect to us. Took mother and she got in and out with no difficulty (her mobility was far worse than it was in 2007).

WhatCar still list the Note as a 4 blob car saying its "An extremely practical small MPV thats classy inside, cheap to run and good to drive". Honest John was complementary in the road test saying "Practical design and spacious cabin. Reasonably comfortable. Clear instrument binnacle. Some clever technology on upper grades"

Does that sound like the dog some people claim?

Problem is what to get in June this year when we hope to replace it. Not because its rubbish or unreliable, simply because we can afford a new motor. And the Note will stay in the family.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Manatee

My son has a Note on a 3 year lease from Ling that works out at £31 a week. Nice car IMO.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Dabooka

My experiences of a Nissan Note are very positive. As a family with a (then) small child, we took an '08 plate 1.4 Accenta from ~40k miles up to ~100k in about 4 years of ownership.

Nothing legitimately went wrong (a supposed bearing failure at a main dealer during a routine service was the only ‘fault’) and other than servicing it cost us nothing. Excellent on all season tyres and got about 42mpg on it. Only thing to bear in mind is it was without a doubt one of the dullest cars I have ever driven. Seriously dull. Probably fine for the 4-mile pootling it will be doing though, and the upright (not raised) driving position suits many people well.

In my experience Citroen seem as good as anyone else does out there and a lot better than some other marques. Currently I am with Suzuki and rate that very highly with my wife doing 20,000 miles a year in her Peugeot 2008, which has also been flawless

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Avant

Welcome back Skidpan!

You're right - because everyone is different, some cars suit some people and not others, particularly when it comes to getting in and out. The distance from seat to door sill is just as important as the height of the seat, perhaps more so.

SWMBO has a slight back problem and arthritic knees. She didn't like getting in and out of mry previous Octavias with the firm vRS side bolsters: the Volvo V60 is better but her A1 even more so, despite being lower.

The ideal is not too big a gap between seat and sill, a sill that's not too high or too wide - and a ar that you don't have to climb up or down when getting in and out. I've been looking at the Audi Q2 and BMW 2-series Active Tourer (the V60 is stodgy and I'd prefer to be rid of a diesel just in case the bottom really drops out of the market). The Q2 is best of all, the 2-series fine for getting in but a bit of a downward slide out unless you're tall.

You're right - because everyone is different, some cars suit some people and not others, particularly when it comes to getting in and out. The distance from seat to door sill is just as important as the height of the seat, perhaps more so.

It's not just that dimension, Avant. One of the few irritations of my 207SW is that I must duck my head to avoid hitting it when climbing in. My 205s, quite a bit smaller, fit me fine. It's all down to the stylists again, sloping the screen and sweeping the roofline. I could lower the seat a bit, but SWMBO might object to that ....

Welcome back Skidpan!

Thanks for that Avant but I don't expect some will want me back. But I will continue to post as before and from the posts I read after I stopped posting many appreciate my answers and honesty.

If soem are too thin skinned to accept a blunt answer perhaps they should visit the Nissan Note forum where only the moderators view is accepted.

Welcome back Skidpan!

Thanks for that Avant but I don't expect some will want me back. But I will continue to post as before and from the posts I read after I stopped posting many appreciate my answers and honesty.

If soem are too thin skinned to accept a blunt answer perhaps they should visit the Nissan Note forum where only the moderators view is accepted.

I think as long as we all respect other people's right to have another opinion (even if we vehemently disagree with it), as long as its reasonably courteous and not blatantly offensive or defamitory (as shown in the posting guidelines) towards people or businesses/organisations (using IMO/IMHO results in less people getting sued and [silly] virtual fights online as on YouTube, Twitter etc) then that's fine - after all, this is a discussion forum (it would be boring if everyone had the same views and no-one would post!).

It does mean that people should also take in what other say and consider whether our own views are not always completely right, especially when a personal situation (on either side of the argument) can rarely indicate the situation for everyone else.

If some are too thin skinned to accept a blunt answer perhaps they should visit the Nissan Note forum where only the moderators view is accepted.

I'm quite happy to listen to - and sometimes be amused by - your posts, Skidpan, but I don't feel I should have to thicken my skin to do it. As Andy has already suggested.

It's not just that dimension, Avant. One of the few irritations of my 207SW is that I must duck my head to avoid hitting it when climbing in. My 205s, quite a bit smaller, fit me fine. It's all down to the stylists again, sloping the screen and sweeping the roofline. I could lower the seat a bit, but SWMBO might object to that ....

My parent will soon be wanting to replace their ageing Fiesta for something along these lines with decent access, not too large overall but with enough boot space for holiday luggage (they drive down to Southampton to embark on their annual cruise holiday) and good sight lines for parking, plus the car needs a bit of oomph (their 1.25 Fiesta is fine).

Unfortunately my dad seems to be wedded to Fords because they have a reasonably local dealership, and that he's had Fords (including as company cars [took early retirement in the mid 90s]) since the mid 1970s so his mind will be difficult to change. My Mum thought the latest Fiesta is 'too big' (to be fair, it is bigger than their MY 08 model) and the KA+ is ok on size but slow and not very well regarded. Still, its probably going to be an uphill task to get him to consider other makes!

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Manatee

My parent will soon be wanting to replace their ageing Fiesta for something along these lines with decent access, ...

Unfortunately my dad seems to be wedded to Fords ...

My Mum thought the latest Fiesta is 'too big' ...

Perhaps he would look at a Mazda 2, historically closely related to the Fiesta, and which still has a 'right sized' engine rather than a force-fed 3 cylinder tiddler?

My parent will soon be wanting to replace their ageing Fiesta for something along these lines with decent access, ...

Unfortunately my dad seems to be wedded to Fords ...

My Mum thought the latest Fiesta is 'too big' ...

Perhaps he would look at a Mazda 2, historically closely related to the Fiesta, and which still has a 'right sized' engine rather than a force-fed 3 cylinder tiddler?

Its nothing to do with that sort of thing - its more that he's 'set in his ways' - he makes the 'excuse' that the Ford dealer is near a supermarket (which has a cafe serving food as well as snacks) so he can pop in whilst the car is being serviced to read his (real) newspaper and have a coffee etc - their used to be a Mazda dealer even closer to the shop but it closed, meaning the next nearest (actually almost the same distance away) is on a trading estate on the edge of Watford and not near enough (for him) to somewhere to have something to eat and drink whilst he waited.

Silly I know (most dealerships offer tea/coffee [admitedly not always as good as coffee shops and no food]), but he's (IHO) in 'old geezer' mode now. He even would baulk at the prices and would not entertain buying any other way than new (or very low miles per-reg showroom car, as his current one is - he got that in 2008 [2002-2008 version Fiesta 1.25 Style for the princely sum of £6500]) and via a main dealer cash deal - no PCPs, lease, obtain via a broker or supersite (Motorpoint [even if new/pre-reg, like my Mazda3 was] and Co.) or go to a dealership further away (I'm not talking Scotland here, just 20 - 50 miles) to get a better price. He would seriously baulk at having to pay £12k+ for a new car, but won't ever entertain buying something like a Dacia (understandable) or maybe not a base-spec Kia Picanto/Hyundai i10 or suchlike.

This will be an uphill struggle to say the least. To be honest, even though their Fiesta will be 10 years old this year, its only done 22k miles (mostly short trips to the shops with the occasional longer trip to family, friends and the holiday round trip I spoke of in an earlier post - about 2k miles a year) so unless he can be persuaded to look at non-Fords and/or his car goes wrong in a big way (corrosion [not yet], engine, etc - most of ite replacements have been suspension bushes/control arms and tyres due to the poor roads and prevellence of poorly-maintained speed humps in their area), I recommended he stick with the Fiesta for now. Its just that they are getting less mobile and would benefit from a car like a Note, Venga/ix20/Jazz etc for the general better ergonomics for the less mobile.

Tell him to try the new Ka, it’s a simple design built with the Indian market in mind. It uses a downsized and updated (for economy) version of the excellent old Yamaha designed 1.25 which should prove utterly reliable. Yes it’s not as good as a Fiesta to drive but it’s perfectly acceptable and it’ll be cheap to buy and run.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/01/2018 at 14:21

Tell him to try the new Ka, it’s a simple design built with the Indian market in mind. It uses a downsized and updated (for economy) version of the excellent old Yamaha designed 1.25 which should prove utterly reliable. Yes it’s not as good as a Fiesta to drive but it’s perfectly acceptable and it’ll be cheap to buy and run.

Maybe, but my Dad likes the decent handling and nippiness (such a word?) of the 02-08 Gen Fiesta - he even commented that he had noticed that his car was not so responsive as his previous Fiesta (96P reg) with the same size engine (even though it was an older version, it was likely the car was a bit small and lighter).

As such, the Ka+ might be a 'damp squib' in his eyes. Probably fine for everything else though. My local dealer (not near them) is selling pre-reg, ex-showroom examples for £10k, which to me is still a bit steep for what they are. I suppose, given they're Fords, big discounts can be had by haggling.

Citroen C3 - Downsizing (we think) to a citroen - Avant

Is a B-Max too big for him, Andy? It's a run-out model so there should be good deals to be had on it. It would have the extra height, although as we've discussed height isn't the only factor in ease of entry and exit. The only answer is to sit in one in the showroom to start with, and then take a test drive if it feels comfortable.

Is a B-Max too big for him, Andy? It's a run-out model so there should be good deals to be had on it. It would have the extra height, although as we've discussed height isn't the only factor in ease of entry and exit. The only answer is to sit in one in the showroom to start with, and then take a test drive if it feels comfortable.

True, although its slower than his 1.25 Fiesta unless he went for the 1.0T, which doesn't have a great reliability record (as per views on this site), or the 1.6 N/A petrol (fine on performance) but he would definitely baulk at the list price of £17k (nearly three times the price he paid for his Fiesta - admitedly without inflation over 10 years). Let's just say he 'likes a good deal' when it comes to parting with his cash on that scale...