BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - pcdj

My runflat recently got introduced to a nail, right in the middle of the flat part of the tyre - seemingly a straightforward repair scenario.

Visiting my local tyre place I was surprised to see them repair it in under five minutes without even taking the tyre off the rim. I was expecting them to have to remove the tyre from the rim and plug the repair from the inside - but it looks like they've applied a rather large patch on the outside which, at the very least, looks very unsightly.

It was only £8, so I figured I can at least drive elsewhere and get it properly fixed rather than argue with the proprietor, but should I be concerned about the job they've done or is this a "sensible" form of repair?

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - RobJP

I think it sounds like some trainee has done the job. I'd certainly not feel happy about it.

It might be some new sort of repair. In which case I'd have expected them to explain it to me. But if that was the case, it should cost a hell of a lot more than £8.

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - Bolt

I thought the only acceptable repair method was internal patch, never heard of external patch, and plugs never used to be permitted either?

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - bathtub tom

From National Tyres website:

Can Run Flat tyres be repaired?

In line with most leading tyre retailers, National Tyres will not repair a run flat tyre following a puncture. Most manufacturers advise against repairing run flat tyres. If the deflated tyre has been driven on, it could have compromised its strength, and it is impossible for a fitter to know if the tyre was driven on for longer/faster than recommended after a puncture. For a brand specific answer you can contact the manufacturers below, but generally it will be hard to find a retailer who will be willing to repair a run flat tyre.

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - Fernando P

It is not clear from your post if the nail actually pierced the tyre right through. It may only have pierced the rubber slightly on the outside. Also, it may not be obvious if the tyre has lost air given it is a "runflat". To the uninitiated, such a "repair" at a cheap price maybe a good result as well as for the tyre fitters.

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - focussed

It sounds a bit like the repair has been done with a "mushroom plug" like this:-

www.amazon.co.uk/STOP-POCKET-TYRE-PLUGGER-KIT/dp/B...6

Widely used on motorcycle tubeless tyres to get you going again, and usually reliable if done properly.

All BMW bikes come with a similar type of plugging kit as standard, complete with little CO2 cylinders to re - inflate the tyre.

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - edlithgow

Outside patch does sound a bit dodgy

OTOH, here in Taiwan (and, more surprisingly, I'm told also in the USA) you can get very cheap kits (quid or two for about 8 plugs with tool) which allow you to shove a sticky "self vulcanising" string thing in the hole. Some of it protrudes and flattens out on the outside when you run the tyre.

www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B0...K

(that one has rubber solution but I've never used that)

You used to be able to get these in the UK, because they appeared in a Triumph Herald manual I bought in the vain hope of maybe someday getting the car to go with it,

I'm quite sure the UK tyre industry would strongly disapprove of those too, but I and many other foreigners here have used them extensively with complete success.

I've never used them with runflats though, never having had runflats.

Edited by edlithgow on 24/12/2017 at 08:27

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - RT

Outside patch does sound a bit dodgy

OTOH, here in Taiwan (and, more surprisingly, I'm told also in the USA) you can get very cheap kits (quid or two for about 8 plugs with tool) which allow you to shove a sticky "self vulcanising" string thing in the hole. Some of it protrudes and flattens out on the outside when you run the tyre.

www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-Handle-Tire-Plug/dp/B0...K

(that one has rubber solution but I've never used that)

You used to be able to get these in the UK, because they appeared in a Triumph Herald manual I bought in the vain hope of maybe someday getting the car to go with it,

I'm quite sure the UK tyre industry would strongly disapprove of those too, but I and many other foreigners here have used them extensively with complete success.

I've never used them with runflats though, never having had runflats.

"Tyre Strings" are readily available in the UK, recommended by some SUV forums - they can be a better medium term fix than space savers or "gunk" and don't need the wheel removing from the car.

I have a set for my VW Touareg.

BMW 3 Series E90 - Tyre repair patch - have I been had? - edlithgow

"Tyre Strings" are readily available in the UK, recommended by some SUV forums - they can be a better medium term fix than space savers or "gunk" and don't need the wheel removing from the car.

I have a set for my VW Touareg.

Glad to hear it.

I have posted about them before, and IIRC the comment on that occaision (I think from someone who was or had been in the trade) was something like "Havn't seen those in 20 years"

Not sure what "medium term" means, but in practice I used them as a permanent repair on my Sierra.

Edited by edlithgow on 25/12/2017 at 02:47