Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - Brian Hicks

Hi, I need to buy a car, and I was looking to buy a second hand estate for approx 13k.

Then I discovered pre registered cars and just googling-found Pentagon car sales in Rochdale

I'm in South Wales so getting there to see the car isn't really an option so I was thinking of buying sight unseen, not something I've done before but as it's essentially a brand new car I assume it should be fine. However looking on two different review websites, the reviews are very mixed.

Has anyone had any dealings with them, and also buying a pre registered car, any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks

Edited by Avant on 10/12/2017 at 16:45

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - badbusdriver

Why is getting to see the car not an option?. South Wales is not that far from Rochdale!

Regardless of what your reasons are, there are very few circumstances under which I would buy a car unseen. Spending £13k on a nearly new car from a large outfit like pentagon would definitely not be one of them!. Whether or not an astra sport tourer is a good buy is a separate issue. But considering you plan on parting with £13k, surely spending a bit extra time and money (though a tiny fraction of what you are spending on the car) making sure the car is as described, and drives as you'd expect makes much more sense than buying unseen.

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - FiestaOwner

If you're too far away to go and view the car, then it's too far to go to return the car if you've any problems with it. As BBD says you're looking to spend £13000. You really should visit the dealership (face to face) and see if you trust them. I've walked out of a few dealerships, because the sales staff seemed untrustworthy (or I got the impression that I would be given the brush off if any issue arose with a purchase).

Have you looked at Pentagon's face book page? I find it strange that I'm not seeing much in the way of posts from satisfied customers (in the past year or so)! If I look at dealers near me I'm seeing loads of posts from satisfied customers.

I've bought a couple of pre-reg cars in the past (due to price). Only issues are you are the 2nd owner on the log book and that the warranty starts on the date of 1st registration. Some times pre-reg cars can be a year old (ie 66 plate when the current plate is 67), that will affect its value so don't overpay (sometimes you can get a better deal on a new car, than a pre-reg).

Edited by FiestaOwner on 10/12/2017 at 11:48

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - expat

Print out the advert and take it to your local dealer and ask if he can better the deal. He might well be able to give you as good a deal and he is local which would be good if any warranty issues arose.

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - FiestaOwner

Print out the advert and take it to your local dealer and ask if he can better the deal. He might well be able to give you as good a deal and he is local which would be good if any warranty issues arose.

Good advice!

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - RT

If it's a pre-reg, it won't be that old so warranty issues can be dealt with by the OP's local Vauxhall dealer - it's only in realy bad cases where they need to go legal that the distance back to the selling dealer is relevant - quite different to a car out of original warranty.

If it's a pre-reg, it won't be that old so warranty issues can be dealt with by the OP's local Vauxhall dealer - it's only in realy bad cases where they need to go legal that the distance back to the selling dealer is relevant - quite different to a car out of original warranty.

Your rights are with the supplying dealer (the garage you pay). Not Vauxhall or any other Vauxhall dealer. Doesn't matter how old (or new) the car is.

If your local dealer can resolve any issues then that's fine. If not, your redress is with the supplying dealer and having an other dealer involved gives the original dealer a get out. The original dealer can claim the local dealer caused the problem/ faults.

The same issues arise, if using a broker which sources a car from a far away dealer. Of couse many people use brokers without any issues.

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - RT

Your rights are with the supplying dealer (the garage you pay). Not Vauxhall or any other Vauxhall dealer. Doesn't matter how old (or new) the car is.

If your local dealer can resolve any issues then that's fine. If not, your redress is with the supplying dealer and having an other dealer involved gives the original dealer a get out. The original dealer can claim the local dealer caused the problem/ faults.

The same issues arise, if using a broker which sources a car from a far away dealer. Of couse many people use brokers without any issues.

I know all that!

Legal rights only come into things if the manufacturer's warranty won't deal with it - just what % of issues go down the legal route against the selling dealer rather than down the warranty route - less that 0.1% I'd suggest.

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - Happy Blue!

I have bought several cars sight unseen. The trick is to agree in writing (email) the condition of the car being purchased and that any money paid over will be returned within 24 hours if the car is not as described when delivered.

On the three occasions I have done this (once with a video of the car all over), the car has been exactly as described to within 99%. On the one occasion I trusted the dealer I wasn't happy but had no recourse.

Vauxhall Astra Sport Tourer - Thinking of buying preregistered car from Pentagon - daveyK_UK

i have purchased from pentagon in the past, it was a 1 year old nissan micra for a family member.

i was down in anglia and the car was in Barnsley

there car was the best price in the country

I paid a deposit which they confirmed in writing via email that the deposit was fully refundable if I didnt like the car.

The car was as described and the deal went ahead as planned.

the car was fine with only 1 fault (rear windscreen de-mist wiring connection had packed in, the weld had become loose) which my local dealer fixed for free.