Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - IRC

I saw some I20 Coupes up for sale on Autotrader. 2016 registered but with delivery miles. Presumably they have been sitting in a carpark for the last year. Would this be an issue affecting condition or not a problem. I suppose even new cars will sometimes have spent months between leaving the factory and being prepped at a dealer.

I'm asking out of curiosity only as while my wife will be needing a new car in a few months we are not at the point of buying.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171113119...1

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - daveyjp

Sure sign of a car type which isn't selling, I have never seen one on the road, so selling on may be a problem. This is not a problem if you intend on keeping it for years and years.

You would just need to make sure it has been serviced in line with manufacturers recommendation to ensure the 5 remainder of the 5 year warranty remains intact - even if its done just 9 miles it still needs a service after 12 months. You may also want to check if the spec is the same as a current model.

Years ago I went to check a very low mileage A2 at a bargain price - it was 18 months old, but was a very poor SE spec compared to the updated model then on sale.

Thanks. We tend to buy cars and keep the. Her current car was second hand in 2011. So resale not a huge issue.

Interesting point about the service at 12 months even if it isn't being used. A check on Cazana showed it was registered on 31st October 2016 so now past the 1 year limit for a service. LOsing 4 yrs warranty would be a big issue.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I bought a Hyundai SIII Coupe with delivery mileage way under list price. Lovely black metallic paint and leather upholstery.

But underneath it had a lot of surface rust and the rusty rear exhaust bracket broke. Repaired under warranty. But the handling was also wayward with self steering on many minor roads.

I got rid of it after around 14 months, trade in was good though.

But beware.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - CK91437

You would just need to make sure it has been serviced in line with manufacturers recommendation to ensure the 5 remainder of the 5 year warranty remains intact - even if its done just 9 miles it still needs a service after 12 months. You may also want to check if the spec is the same as a current model.

Very good point.

Kia/Hyundai will not honour the warranty. I have read of a case where the person was late for their 1st service by 2000 miles (which isn't critical), but all the other services were on time, and so they refused to replace the engine when the engine seized many years later.

Buyer be aware.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - oldroverboy.

Kia/Hyundai will not honour the warranty. I have read of a case where the person was late for their 1st service by 2000 miles (which isn't critical), but all the other services were on time, and so they refused to replace the engine when the engine seized many years later.

Buyer be aware.

Most manufacturers allow for 30 days + 999 miles after the 12 months from the previous service.

The line has to be drawn somewhere!

And nothing wrong with that.

NOT Just Kia/Hyundai

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - alan1302

Buyer be aware.

What manufactuerer would honour it after that long?

Were all the other services done by Hyundai or Kia (you didn't mention which it was)

You said many years later - how many?

So little information to go on here.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - Malcolm Goold

2000 miles is relevant to a warranty. They tell you what is accepted in the hand book.. Many years later !. I wonder.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - Bianconeri

Very good point.

Buyer be aware.

What a surprise, more gratuitous slagging off of KIA / Hyundai by this poster. So where is the line for acceptable adherence to the Ts and Cs of a warranty? One day / one mile more than the amount YOU decide is acceptable?
Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - SLO76
A perfectly decent wee car but the 5dr is more practical and better looking so it is in much greater demand. I'd rather spend a bit more on a 5dr car, it'll make life easier and you can get the much nicer and more economical 1.0 turbo for around £10k with a bit of negotiation. Remember they need a full and up to date main dealer service history to retain that excellent 5yr unlimited mileage warranty. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170813829...5

Edited by SLO76 on 13/11/2017 at 18:44

"A perfectly decent wee car but the 5dr is more practical and better looking"

I Agree. Practicality doesn't come into it though Mrs IRC prefers 3 doors though and likes the looks of the I20 coupe amongst others. Again I agree the 1.0 is a better engine but with 80% of her journeys being under 3 miles the 1.2 will be fine. It will be replacing a 1.2 Micra of similar performance.

To give an idea of her decision making - I had suggested a Jazz and she was giving it serious consideration until she saw several being parked by elderly drivers in the supermarket carpark.

Not that either of us are spring chickens. Closer to 60 than 50!

Other factors I'm needing to bear in mind while looking is no red cars, only proper handbrakes, no autos, bigger than a Micra but not too big ...... and so on.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - badbusdriver

"A perfectly decent wee car but the 5dr is more practical and better looking"

I Agree. Practicality doesn't come into it though Mrs IRC prefers 3 doors though and likes the looks of the I20 coupe amongst others. Again I agree the 1.0 is a better engine but with 80% of her journeys being under 3 miles the 1.2 will be fine. It will be replacing a 1.2 Micra of similar performance.

To give an idea of her decision making - I had suggested a Jazz and she was giving it serious consideration until she saw several being parked by elderly drivers in the supermarket carpark.

Not that either of us are spring chickens. Closer to 60 than 50!

Other factors I'm needing to bear in mind while looking is no red cars, only proper handbrakes, no autos, bigger than a Micra but not too big ...... and so on.

Practicality really should come into it, especially as you say Mrs IRC mainly does short journeys. The 3 door (i'm not going to refer to it as a coupe, because it isn't, it's just a 3 door hatchback!) has smaller rear side windows, so poorer over the shoulder visibility for parallel parking or akwardly angled junctions. The seatbelt is much further back so is a very akward reach (especially so if you are not very tall) It has much longer doors than the 5 door, so you need more space in a car park to open the door wide enough to get out. Also, in windy conditions, the bigger doors on a 3 door are much more likely to get caught by the wind and yanked open.

I do see the appeal of a proper coupe, even though i would never actually buy one. But to me there is absolutely no point in getting a 3 door version of an every day run of the mill hatchback over the 5 door. Not least because i wouldn't expect any friends or relatives to try and get themselves through the gap between B pillar and front seat backrest while trying not to trip over the seatbelt.

Oh, and my wife and I are in our 40's and have a honda jazz (CVT auto). Brilliant little car and much better in every area than the hyundai i30 we had before.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - Gordon17

As it's a 66 plate it may not be 1 year old yet, in which case it wouldn't be overdue.

I bought a pre-reg Kia nearly 3 years ago - it was 8 months old when I bought it but the dealer included the first service in the price and did it before I picked the car up. You could ask the Hyundai dealer if they will do the same.

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - TedCrilly

The advert clearly states...Balance of manufacturers warranty... The car itself is not really my cup of tea but for someone in the market for a small hatch and who can cope with 3 doors why should they be put off?

Plenty of Corsas, fiestas, Clios etc have 3 doors remember.

Edited by TedCrilly on 14/11/2017 at 10:33

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - SLO76
"The advert clearly states...Balance of manufacturers warranty... "

Don't take this as gospel, I've often went to view cars advertised as such for clients and found the service history isn't up to date or has been done outside the dealer network and there's no proof of what was done and whether manufacturer parts were used. If it's an approved used car from a main dealer it'll likely be fine but still verify that service record.
Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - Bianconeri

As it's a 66 plate it may not be 1 year old yet, in which case it wouldn't be overdue.

I bought a pre-reg Kia nearly 3 years ago - it was 8 months old when I bought it but the dealer included the first service in the price and did it before I picked the car up. You could ask the Hyundai dealer if they will do the same.

Most manufacturers have a sensible policy on this for genuine pre-reg cars from their dealers. The car is serviced on delivery by the dealer and the balance of the warranty is activated. These appear to be with a Hyundai dealer.

If the ‘pre-reg’ is actually a minimal-mileage used car from outside of the approved dealer network you ought to tread more carefully. A service by a franchised dealer and written confirmation from the manufacturer that the warranty is in place needs to be a condition of sale in my opinion. You won’t get penalised for an early first service if the car is under a year old and you may flush out a missing warranty if it’s past the tolerance for the first year’s service.

Edited by Bianconeri on 14/11/2017 at 16:00

Hyundai I20 Coupe - 2016 Cars With Delivery Mileage - Condition? - madf

Beware flood damaged cars..

"In June 2016, parts of the United Kingdom were struck by serious flash floods. Starting on 7 June, thunderstorms caused intense rainfall in many locations ..."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_Kingdom_floods