Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - CK91437

Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION (DCT) Problems

Apparently there is a big problems with the & 7 speed DCT (dual clutch transmission) automatic transmission.

I believe they are fitted to a range of Kia/Hyundai cars, I believe Ceeds/Optima/Sportage etc.

It is an automatic gearbox without a torque converter.

Have you had issues with your Kia/Hyundai DCT automatic transmission 7 Speed?

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - colinh

The second Kia/Hyundai drama thread from CK91437

Is there something we should be told?

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - galileo

The second Kia/Hyundai drama thread from CK91437

Is there something we should be told?

CK91437 should perhaps watch a few of John Cadogan's vids regarding the reliability of different makes.

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - CK91437

CK91437 should perhaps watch a few of John Cadogan's vids regarding the reliability of different makes.

As I stated before, if there are issues with other car makers, then please start a new thread about the issue so that we are all aware of it.

If its good then say its good. If its bad then say its bad.

Again the company is FORCED by the authorities to do so, rather than holding its hands up and doing the right thing with their customers.

• “Hyundai is recalling about 41,000 small SUVs in the U.S. because a software glitch can stop the vehicles from accelerating.
  • The recall came after pressure from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It covers 2016 Tucson models with seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmissions made from May 20, 2015 to May 31, 2016.

There may be other issues with this gearbox as well.

Edited by CK91437 on 09/11/2017 at 10:49

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - Engineer Andy

As I stated before, if there are issues with other car makers, then please start a new thread about the issue so that we are all aware of it.

If its good then say its good. If its bad then say its bad.

Again the company is FORCED by the authorities to do so, rather than holding its hands up and doing the right thing with their customers.

• “Hyundai is recalling about 41,000 small SUVs in the U.S. because a software glitch can stop the vehicles from accelerating.
  • The recall came after pressure from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It covers 2016 Tucson models with seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmissions made from May 20, 2015 to May 31, 2016.

There may be other issues with this gearbox as well.

I would suggest you read the 'Good & Bad' sections for issues raised by owners of such vehicles (if they do occur) to HJ in their reviews or letters/emails - he and his staff on this site always update them when issues arise, especially if they do so in more than just one or two cases. If there's an issue, then it will always get raised there or on these forum pages by concerned owners.

Why are you bringing this issue up? Do you personally have problems with your car or know someone who does? If, as argybargy says, your motives are for other, less honourable reasons (and if you're not up-front/honest about about them), then I doubt if you'll get much in the way of help. It does seem strange that you haven't said why you want to talk about this 'issue'.

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - Avant

The reliability of all dual-clutch transmissions is questionable, particularly the dry-clutch types at higher mileages. I don't know of any evidence that Kias and Hyundais are any worse than the others.

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - oldroverboy.

Perhaps the OP has a problem with one of these engine/gearbox combinations, so it would be nice to know if he/she has a problem and what the vehicle age, milrage and service history is. Over 3 years and no oil change to gearbox,? 150000 miles?

Please tell us, as with my experience of Kia, their customer service has always been positive, not fabulous, but very satisfactory.!

ORB

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - Bianconeri

Perhaps the OP has a problem with one of these engine/gearbox combinations, so it would be nice to know if he/she has a problem and what the vehicle age, milrage and service history is. Over 3 years and no oil change to gearbox,? 150000 miles?

Please tell us, as with my experience of Kia, their customer service has always been positive, not fabulous, but very satisfactory.!

ORB

Got to agree, as a humble, retired, member of the public with no association with any motor manufacturer I have found Kia’s customer service to be exemplary - not that I have experienced a single issue. Frankly, they and their vehicles seem to be a cut above the Volvo, Audi and MB stuff I experienced in the 5 years prior to retiring.
Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - argybargy

Are you a member of, or linked to the legal profession, CK?

I only ask because class actions have been instigated against manufacturers of some dual clutch electronic gearboxes in other countries.

Touting for business, maybe?

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - galileo

I only ask because class actions have been instigated against manufacturers of some dual clutch electronic gearboxes in other countries.

Well spotted, I see the art of intelligent deduction didn't die with Sherlock Holmes.

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - argybargy

Well spotted, I see the art of intelligent deduction didn't die with Sherlock Holmes.

Thanks for the compliment, if compliment it was rather than rather thinly veiled sarcasm. ;0)

Thanks for the compliment, if compliment it was rather than rather thinly veiled sarcasm. ;0)

It was intended as a compliment, you had thought of a likely ulterior motive before I dd. :-)

It was intended as a compliment, you had thought of a likely ulterior motive before I dd. :-)

LOL....no not a member of the legal profession.

I was looking to buy a Kia/Hyundai 1.7 diesel with the Dual Clutch Automatic gearbox.

But having only scratched the surface, I am having very, very serious doubts about the longevity of the vehicle, as I like to get MEGA-miles out of my cars. i.e. 150,000 to 300,000

AT the moment my thought is AVOID Kia/Hyundai on such a vehicle.

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - badbusdriver

I was looking to buy a Kia/Hyundai 1.7 diesel with the Dual Clutch Automatic gearbox.

But having only scratched the surface, I am having very, very serious doubts about the longevity of the vehicle, as I like to get MEGA-miles out of my cars. i.e. 150,000 to 300,000

Well you clearly have an issue with kia/hyundai, so why not tell us what your requirements are and maybe we can suggest alternatives.

Yearly mileage?

Type of driving?

Passenger/load space needs?

Budget?

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - RT

In reality, you probably should be avoiding any DCT automatic - since they're now almost ubquitous in any car under 3.0 litres with an automatic, just avoid automatics.

In reality, you probably should be avoiding any DCT automatic - since they're now almost ubquitous in any car under 3.0 litres with an automatic, just avoid automatics.

I would like to avoid Dual Crutch Transmissions.

But the problem is that carmakers insist on putting them in their cars, and not offering a Torque Converter (TC) alternative. Maybe they just have a load of DCT gearboxes that they need to use up.

Oh, silly me and my wretched paranoia.

To the OP: dual clutch as a concept doesn't have a great reputation and nobody seems to have got it right, meaning that those manufacturers who have dipped into that technology are busy dipping out again. You may be aware of this already, but the problem isn't confined to the makes you mention. I have a Ford dual clutch auto, and I certainly wouldn't get one again, even though my car is running fine at present because its had a new clutch under warranty.

Most of those who use this forum recommend "traditional" automatics if you prefer auto to manual, and they'd be able to give you good recommendations if, as BBD suggests, you can provide more information.

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - disbeliever

Having owned 20 automatic cars, I find the Kia Ceed with its 7 speed dct box to be the best, I have driven 20,000 miles & no problems, I would not touch another VW or BNW with a barge pole.

Edited by disbeliever on 29/01/2018 at 13:32

Kia/ Hyundai DCT Automatic gearbox problems - Kia/ Hyundai DUAL-CLUTCH TRANSMISSION(DCT) Problem - Bianconeri

Having owned 20 automatic cars, I find the Kia Ceed with its 7 speed dct box to be the best, I have driven 20,000 miles & no problems, I would not touch another VW or BNW with a barge pole.

But is yours metallic purple? They are rubbish.....