MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - MALCOLM TODD

I PURCHASED THE ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 IN jUNE THIS YEAR. IT WAS IN THE NEW COLOUR SOUL RED METALLIC.

3 MONTHS LATER I HAVE AN ACCIDENT RESULTING IN THE NEED FOR A NEW REAR VALANCE ,TAILGATE AND REAR LIGHT.

THE MAZDA APPROVED DEALER CANNOT REPAIR THE CAR BECAUSE THE COLOUR PAINT IS NOT YET BEING PRODUCED.

WHY DID THEY PUT THIS CAR ON THE MARKET WHEN THINGS LIKE THIS ARE NOT IN PLACE.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - oldroverboy.

Any competent automotive paint supplier can supply the paint ask Mazda or the formulation..

simples

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - focussed

Find out where the paint code is on the car and go to a paint supplier, or alternatively, get the insurance company to scrap it and pay for a new one!

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - SLO76
It's not uncommon for crash repairs to be a drawn out affair on new models like this as manufacturers don't keep enough parts. The inability to supply the paint code is a weird one though, never encountered that.
MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - Manatee

That's weird. The MX-5 ND was launched IIRC in Soul Red in 2015, and the colour was around before that.

There might be more than one shade of soul red. What's your paint code?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHs5LZQShXg

Tricky stuff apparently. Metallic/pearl coat, tinted clear coat(s) then normal clear coat.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - badbusdriver

This is one of the dangers of being the 1st to have whichever car it happens to be, and is nothing new. Reading long term test report's in car magazine's, i see it a lot. The culprit is usually something like a windscreen. But in the past, before enormous wheels and tyres became the norm, that would often cause problems too. Car gets a puncture, but nobody in the country has a suitable replacement.

But it would certainly be odd if this colour is available on other mazda's and has been for a couple of years.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - galileo

A mate who has a body shop has a gadget which takes a close-up photo of your paint and then prints a recipe to mix a matching colour. Works well, he finds it worth its initial cost.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - FP

The OP has been fobbed off with some poor advice.

When I bought my second-hand Soul Metallic Red Mazda CX-5 in the summer from a Mazda dealer, I was told that the colour is a favourite among the buying public and appears on several models.

Clearly this particular place has had plenty of experience of matching the colour. It's complicated, apparently, and contains at least 10 "ingredients".

Edited by FP on 30/10/2017 at 18:58

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - davecooper
The Soul Red used on the new CX5 is different from the Soul red available on the rest of the Mazda range at the moment. Apparently, the new paint has a laquer that is not clear but tinted. I saw the old and the new side by side in a Mazda showroom recently and the new paint finish is a step change with regards to shine and depth of colour. I am told this paint will become available across the range eventually.
MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - FP

From Mazda's website: "The soul red premium metallic color has been created as an embodiment of Mazda’s passion for cars. It has been adopted for the body of Mazda models, starting with the new Mazda6 that was launched in 2013." And yes, that's the one with a tinted lacquer covered with a clear lacquer.

So it is not new for the latest CX-5.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - davecooper

So this would suggest that the Sou Red Premium is an option over the normal Soul Red with them both still being available. The paint on the CX5 was noticeably different to that on a CX3 nearby. It was when I mentioned this to the saleman that he explained why. I was looking at buying a new Mazda 3 at the time and was told that the new paint was not available on that model yet. I think I would feel a bit miffed it that wasn't true. However, it sounds like it would not have been a wise choice after all, I went for blue.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - Miniman777

After the 2011 earthquake, the pigment needed for red paint was in short supply - www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014240527487036967045762...6

The fact that 6 years on and Soul Red is a popular colour across the Mazda range suggests the dealer is telling the OP a load of BS.

I have just come back from a Mazda approved body shop (not a Mazda dealer), which I had to visit on another matter. The chap I spoke to can't understand the problem with this. They mix their own paint. They are well aware that it is a three stage colour and they always do spray tests to get it near enough to blend to adjacent panels.

If the OP is anywhere near south Bucks I will be happy to put him in touch.

Funnily enough I saw a 17 plate Soul CX-5 pulling out of a turning on the way back. It did look stunning.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - mcb100
Soul Red did, indeed, appear on the original CX-5. When the All-New CX-5 was launched this Summer, Soul Red was supplemented by Soul Red Crystal.

That's it I think. Soul Red is 41V, Soul Red Crystal is 46V by the looks of it. So it could literally be a new colour. Shame the OP didn't mention the Crystal bit.

Myabe the bodyshop man hasn't twigged - the CX-5 I saw today did look more stand out than the Soul Red I have seen before - I assumed it was just clean and well polished.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - NARU

It is a stunning colour, but when I saw it in the showroom the plastic parts were a noticeably different shade to the metalwork.

Not a problem that's unique to Mazda, but it did spoil the look.

MAZDA CX 5 - ALL NEW MAZDA CX5 - Engineer Andy

It is a stunning colour, but when I saw it in the showroom the plastic parts were a noticeably different shade to the metalwork.

Not a problem that's unique to Mazda, but it did spoil the look.

Interesting - I'll have a spy when I'm at my local dealership in December when I have my car serviced & MOTed. I like the Soul Red colour when the cars are under lights or in shade, but in bright sunshine I think they're too light. I much prefer the medium to darker reds (similar with blue) - if the Soul red was a couple of shades darker (not red wine colour), that would nice. Anything near (or including) 'Post Office' red is out as they seem to (still) be susceptible to fading.