Used Plug In Hybrid - ike2

I currently drive a Toyota Auris Sport Tourer Hybrid which is great but am considering buying a used plug in hybrid to replace it (I nevr buy new cars due to the depreciation). If i go down this route, i assume that i will be responsible for ensuring that i have a suitable means of charging the car, rather than the manufacturer doing it. If so, does anyone have any idea what the additional electrical work might entail and a rough idea of cost? Many thanks

Used Plug In Hybrid - FiestaOwner

I just downloaded the brochure for the plug in version of the Toyota Prius (from the Toyota website). Found a bit about charging which I have quoted below. It is worth looking through the whole brochure though:

"CHARGING AT HOME Charge in only 3 hours using a domestic plug socket. Just like your mobile phone. Alternatively, install a dedicated wall box at home or use a public charge point to fully power up in approximately 2 hours. The dashboard LED display will keep you up to date on your charge status."

So you can charge it from a standard wall socket. As long as you have the correct cable.

Presume other plug in hybrids will be the same, but you'll need to check

Used Plug In Hybrid - Hugh Watt

Well, you might take a look here - www.c*******.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=24406&v=f . There again, you may feel "too much information"...!

Used Plug In Hybrid - badbusdriver

Just googled 'electric car home charging stations' and plenty came up. The cheapest of which seems to be with a grant (OLEV), which seems to kick off at about £150 inc installation. So you would need to look into this grant to find out if you would be eligible, given the car would be both hybrid and 2nd hand.

Used Plug In Hybrid - Hugh Watt

Ah - I seem to have overstepped one particular line! Sorry, just trying to be helpful...

Used Plug In Hybrid - craig-pd130

As stated above, the majority of plug-in hybrids have (relatively) small batteries. This means that you can charge them quite happily from a domestic 13A socket.

My own 225xe plug-in charges from 3% to 100% in 3h15m from a conventional 13A socket, and BMW's literature says it takes 2h15m from a high-output wallbox. My 10p worth is, an hour saving doesn't justify having a wallbox fitted.

The owner's manual will be full of warnings about not using extension leads to connect the car to a 13A socket: this is a bit misleading because you can buy heavy-duty extension cables that can carry 13A continuous current from the likes of B&Q etc. I've used an extension regularly without problems, and neither the plugs nor cable get hot.

Most plug-ins adapt their current draw based on the type of socket you're plugging into. The BMW draws a max 10A when configured for the factory-supplied 13A charge cable.

Used Plug In Hybrid - ike2

Many thanks to all who have responded. I had no idea there was so much information so readily available. It's good to know that if i go down this route, i will not have too many additional expenses which might have reduced the potential savings to a derisory amount.

A quick note to add that the electricity costs for my 225xe work out at around 60 - 65 pence per day, or about £4.50 per week.

I'm usually charging from around 40 - 50% capacity back up to 100%, as my weekday commute is an 8-mile round trip which is done in pure electric mode. As a rough guide, the car draws 10 amps while charging, which is just under 2.5KWH units of electricity, which makes it easy to calculate the 'electric fuel' cost.

Used Plug In Hybrid - colinh

A quick note to add that the electricity costs for my 225xe work out at around 60 - 65 pence per day, or about £4.50 per week.

I'm usually charging from around 40 - 50% capacity back up to 100%, as my weekday commute is an 8-mile round trip which is done in pure electric mode. As a rough guide, the car draws 10 amps while charging, which is just under 2.5KWH units of electricity, which makes it easy to calculate the 'electric fuel' cost.

Can you comment on the economics of this use? £4.50 per week would buy you sufficient fuel to do the week's round-trips with a normal hybrid.

Edited by colinh on 30/10/2017 at 10:00

Can you comment on the economics of this use? £4.50 per week would buy you sufficient fuel to do the week's round-trips with a normal hybrid.

It's a company car, so going for a plug-in hybrid makes a dramatic difference in tax compared with a normal hybrid, let alone my previous diesels.

My previous car was a Volvo V60, which was excellent on BIK tax (as it was rated at below 100g). However, the 225 is saving me over £1,200 per year in my pocket on BIK.

In terms of 'fuel' cost, on a typical working week (Monday to Friday), I'll do around 60 miles which is mostly commuting, plus the odd errand to the shops, etc. In this usage, my previous V60 would give 40mpg on diesel, which would cost me around £8 in fuel for the same driving patterns. .

Used Plug In Hybrid - NARU
The owner's manual will be full of warnings about not using extension leads to connect the car to a 13A socket...

It'll also be because of the voltage drop on a long cable.

Used Plug In Hybrid - focussed
The owner's manual will be full of warnings about not using extension leads to connect the car to a 13A socket...

It'll also be because of the voltage drop on a long cable.

A useful set of tables detailing permissable volts drop on long extension cables:-

www.industrialextensionleads.co.uk/maximum-extensi...p

Used Plug In Hybrid - Andrew-T

I would have thought that it made sense to run this kind of steady demand for a number of hours from a dedicated circuit-breaker on the distributor box, as you would for a cooker or a shower. Adding it to a ring-main would quite likely cause trip-outs when some other demand came in.

Used Plug In Hybrid - frankly

Should be fine, the ring main the 13amp socket wil(should be on) beis fused and rated at 30amp. So 2.5kw is ok it's the same as a typical kettle or stand alone electric bar heater.

Edited by frankly on 30/10/2017 at 11:33

Should be fine, the ring main the 13amp socket wil(should be on) beis fused and rated at 30amp. So 2.5kw is ok it's the same as a typical kettle or stand alone electric bar heater.

I've used a 4-metre extension (bought from Homebase) dozens of times with issues, blown fuses etc.

Used Plug In Hybrid - Steveieb

There is an article in this weeks Sunday Times Business section which concludes that the best time to buy any electric vehicle is when they approach three years old , towards which owners experience massive depreciation due to the buyers caution about battery life expectancy.

So buy at three years and add a warranty for a couple of years to cover battery replacement.