any - Choice of auto city-car, probably used - Andrew-T

SWMBO has been the main driver of our Pug 207SW for 9 years now, but is starting to suffer from shoulder pain with gear changing - in fact she is planning an operation soon. Any advice please for an auto city-car for doing 5-6000 miles/year? I'm thinking to try a pre-2014 Hyundai i10 or Picanto for her to get the feel of the thing, and although there aren't loads to choose from, most have reasonable mileages and service history.

any - Choice of auto city-car, probably used - gordonbennet

Would the budget stretch to a Yaris Hybrid or a Yaris CVT if not?

The hybrid might well pay for its extra cost in fuel and VED savings and possble future revenue grabbing moves, Toyota servicing costs are very reasonable in house, might be worth enquiring about such things.

any - Choice of auto city-car, probably used - badbusdriver

As you probably know, the i10 and picanto are essentialy the same car under the skin, with the same 1.2 engine mated to a torque converter auto, so it would really be down to personal preference. Good reliable little cars, but being a tc auto, they are going to be thirstier than you would probably expect.

There are other 'city cars' which are automatic, but will almost certainly be either a single or dual clutch automated manual which are generally best avoided. Having said that, someone was on here a month or two back raving about his suzuki celerio ags (which is a single clutch automated manual). The youngest celerio 'auto' on autotrader are 2015 and coming in at about £7k and would be considerably more economical than the kia or hyundai.

As GB pointed out, a toyota yaris cvt might be worth consideration. It is a bigger car, but not by a lot (especially re the i10 which really pushes the upper edge of what may or may not be a city car!). The cvt is well proven and combines the fuel economy benefits of the single/dual clutch automated manuals along with the smoothness of a tc auto. £7k would get you into a 4 or 5 year old car.