leon st, volvov 60, mazda 6 message - Wayne Dibbley

Hi, hoping 'skidpan' picks this up.

Want a 3 year old petrol family car with plenty of room in back seats but not too long.

The Leon ST is good but no bigger in the cabin than my mk 1 leon.

The Volvo V60 is great but the 1.6 petrol is juicy.

The Mazda 6 tourer is an option but they are so long that I can see car park prangs (not by me) on the horizon.

I have ruled out the Octavia due to horrendous noise in the cabin.

Mazda CX5's seem to be so over priced for what they are and I'm not sure I can do the whole SUV thing.

Noticed skidpan settled on a Superb, which is a very long car just wondered if you got used to it?

Any other suggestions that arn't Dacias of Dayyonggos (or whatever they called) are welcome.

leon st, volvov 60, mazda 6 message - groaver

The Mazda 6 tourer is an option but they are so long that I can see car park prangs (not by me) on the horizon.

Strangely, they are shorter than the saloon version of the 6.

yes i noticed that, mind you still very long at 4.8m

leon st, volvov 60, mazda 6 message - badbusdriver

If the mazda 6 is too long for you then so is the superb. Unless you really think you would notice the 9mm less overall length. And by the way, the suberb estate is also shorter than the hatchback, as is the octavia and the ford mondeo.

Maybe the octavia would be the sweet spot?. Though, at 4670mm long it is still only 20cm shorter than the 6. Get the estate for an even bigger boot, not that the hatchback is lacking in that department with 590 litres vs 610 litres.

leon st, volvov 60, mazda 6 message - bazza

I've owned both the hatch and estate Octavia, I would say the estate was quite a bit noisier. But from the ones I've been in, the Superb is a much nicer car all round. If you don't have to have an estate but want the rear seat room, the Mondeo hatch is a nice place to be. Don'tforget the Avensis, nice big roomy traditional car.

Yes drove a couple of octavia hatches, awful ride. Assuming the estate will be no better.

Mondeo too big and eco boost engines juicy. Avensis does not look good, unless you drive a taxi.

Thanks for all your suggestions

Honda civic tourer?, spacious cabin, huge boot, and of course, the brilliant 'magic seats'.You haven't expressed a preference for petrol or diesel, but resident trader SLO rates the 1.6 diesel version (which is both unusual and high praise for a modern diesel!). And going by what I have read about this era of civic, the ride is much plusher than some previous civic's.

Sadly, with the new civic, honda has bowed down to the pressure from the motoring press and their obsession with having the drivers seat very low. So they have moved the fuel tank from under the front seats to under the rear seats (where it is on most other cars), but this means no more magic seats (at least on the civic). I'm assuming this will also be the case when/if a new civic estate comes along.

Honda civic tourer?, spacious cabin, huge boot, and of course, the brilliant 'magic seats'.You haven't expressed a preference for petrol or diesel, but resident trader SLO rates the 1.6 diesel version (which is both unusual and high praise for a modern diesel!). And going by what I have read about this era of civic, the ride is much plusher than some previous civic's.

Sadly, with the new civic, honda has bowed down to the pressure from the motoring press and their obsession with having the drivers seat very low. So they have moved the fuel tank from under the front seats to under the rear seats (where it is on most other cars), but this means no more magic seats (at least on the civic). I'm assuming this will also be the case when/if a new civic estate comes along.

Apologies, you clearly did state a preference for petrol, I just wasn't paying attention!. However, that still leaves the 1.8 petrol version of the civic estate.

leon st, volvov 60, mazda 6 message - SLO76
From the quick search I've just done it looks like your search will be severely curtailed by the lack of availablity of large petrol engined estates with a manual box in your age/price range. There's hardly any manual Superb TSi Estates for sale, the vast bulk are diesels and/or DSG. Pre 2013 cars use the chain driven TSi motors which have a nasty reputation for timing chain failure so avoid along with the DSG box if you're looking to keep it any length of time.

The Volvo is similar with few petrol manuals around. It's a good engine that'll last well if cared for. You're right in that it is thirstier than the others but at 36-38mpg day to day isn't too bad.

The big Mazda is easier to find with the excellent 2.0 Skyactiv petrol motor and all round its a great big family wagon. Fun to drive, comfortable, spacious, decent on fuel 42-45mpg day to day without too much effort and likely to be the most reliable of your options.

Good call on the Civic Tourer from bbd but as much as I rate them and the excellent 1.6 DTEC is one of the few modern diesels i'll recommend these days they are a step down from the others mentioned here regarding ride and refinement. It will cost less to buy and run however and interior space is pretty impressive for its size.

All things equal I'd have the big Mazda especially if you intend on keeping it longterm but a belt driven Superb with a manual box and the 150PS 1.4 TSi motor preferably the current model would be very tempting if you can find one.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/10/2017 at 23:28

leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - Avant

The Superb is a great car but probably longer than you want - about 4.8 metres.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but could you get a Mazda CX-3 within budget. They may not have been aroind for 3 years but one of these will be less than a CX-5.

If you're more after comfort than driving fun, consider a Nissan Pulsar or Qashqai. Too wallowy for my tastes but the seats are excellent and both models have plenty of legroom in the back.

The VW Golf Plus or Golf SV, depending on your budget, have good legroom, and the ordinary Golf isn't bad in this respect.

Finally there's the Ford C-Max, although some of the engines can be unreliable and hopefully SLO may see this and advise us on which if any of the Ford petrol engines are any good.

Skidpan hasn't been around for a few weeks. People do come and go on forums like this but I hope he hasn't gone for good. He can be abrasive but has some good ideas.

leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - bazza

The Mazda CX3 is based on a Mazda 2, so it's actually a smallish car styled to look bigger, as are many of the latest crop of smaller crossovers. I would still favour a traditinal large hatch or estate as they can't be beaten for space. Those Mazda 6s are fine things, that's what I'd be cheching out, with the well-respected SkyActive petrol engines. Quashqai might be worth a look but it's not reliable.

leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - SLO76
"Finally there's the Ford C-Max, although some of the engines can be unreliable and hopefully SLO may see this and advise us on which if any of the Ford petrol engines are any good."

The 1.6 petrol in normally asperated or Ecoboost turbo spec is a good motor from trusted Japanese engine designer Yamaha. But that's it on the C-max, the 1.0 Ecoboost has a nasty reputation for failure and it remains to be seen whether Ford has finally fixed it and the 1.5 diesel is just a downsized version of the PSA 1.6 diesel which has become known as the diesel of doom.
leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - Engineer Andy

The Superb is a great car but probably longer than you want - about 4.8 metres.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but could you get a Mazda CX-3 within budget. They may not have been aroind for 3 years but one of these will be less than a CX-5.

If you're more after comfort than driving fun, consider a Nissan Pulsar or Qashqai. Too wallowy for my tastes but the seats are excellent and both models have plenty of legroom in the back.

The VW Golf Plus or Golf SV, depending on your budget, have good legroom, and the ordinary Golf isn't bad in this respect.

Finally there's the Ford C-Max, although some of the engines can be unreliable and hopefully SLO may see this and advise us on which if any of the Ford petrol engines are any good.

Skidpan hasn't been around for a few weeks. People do come and go on forums like this but I hope he hasn't gone for good. He can be abrasive but has some good ideas.

The CX-3 is a very good drive, though (personally speaking) overpriced (even second hand). Most second hand examples available are either the 1.5 diesel (variant of the diesel-of-doom) and 2 ltr petrol (fine in manual, quite nippy at 0-60 in 9sec), but most, especially in the petrol-engined format, are Sport Navs which are quite a firm ride (at least after a few months - my brand new test drive model was ok) and they reduce the boot space from a reasonable 350 ltr to only 287 ltr to accommodate the uprated ICE.

The one to go for (if you do) is the 2.0 petrol SE-L Nav on 16in rims, but there's little in the way of dealer or decent broker offers on CX-3s, and especially this model (which is the most popular and owners seeem to hand on to them). Very few of these on offer second hand, especially via dealers (when I looked back in Jan/Feb there literally was less than 5 across the whole UK via Mazda's website).

Its a shame that the SEAT Arona has just arrived - it is about the same size as the CX-3 overall, but manages to get (across the range) 400 lts of boot space and both the frugal 1.0TSi petrol and the very nice 1.5TSi version. This could do very nicely but I suspect it would be outside the price range of the OP, even with deals from dealers/brokers (nothing listed on the 'cars for sale' [new] section yet).

It would be useful to know the OP's budget, usage (typical range of journeys) and annual mileage requirements as its a bit of a guess otherwise, mainly on size and parking difficulties for larger (longer) estate cars.

leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - Wayne Dibbley

It's great to get these suggestions, thanks everyone.

My mileage is 9 to 10k a year, 150 to 200 miles a week, mixture of dual and urban stop start.

Monthly long motorway journey.

Budget 13k

Twin girls will be out of boosters soon.

Cheers

leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - FP

"Skidpan hasn't been around for a few weeks. People do come and go on forums like this but I hope he hasn't gone for good. He can be abrasive but has some good ideas."

Hm... His recent contributions went beyond "abrasive", I thought.

No-one is indispensible.

leon st, volvo v 60, mazda 6 message - oldroverboy.

"Skidpan hasn't been around for a few weeks. People do come and go on forums like this but I hope he hasn't gone for good. He can be abrasive but has some good ideas."

Hm... His recent contributions went beyond "abrasive", I thought.

No-one is indispensible.

In support of Skidpan, perhaps abrasive but mostly incisive cutting through the carp...

We all need a rest refelection and relaxation break sometimes. Little jamie comes and goes, and what happened to Bobbin.... Come in Preston,,, are you listening?

Edited by oldroverboy. on 26/10/2017 at 15:18