Audi A5, 2.0 Tfsi - Audi dealer post warranty work issues - advice - Sulli
My 09 2.0 TFSI sport had oil consumption issues since I bough it earlier this year, using approx 1litre every 800 miles. I googled and found that watchdog did a thing on it and it was an inherent issue usually resolved by Audi UK FOC even if out of general warranty period.
After a few visits to my local listers Audi, they had done a 2 stage test and ascertained that it was using too much oil and approached Audi uk. Audi U.K. Agreed to underwrite the repairs paying 90%, the dealer 10% of the £2900 rebuild cost of pistons, conrods etc.
Shortly after collecting the car I found it was misfiring at full throttle under load, repeatedly. Also several times rev limiter kicked in at 4K rpm when accelerating... Reported straight back to dealer who had it back in again.
They ran a diagnostic and found nothing nor did they on the supposed road test that I don't think they did. They said inconclusive.... the misfire happened as I left dealership so managed to get a master tech to come out with me and he confirmed it was happening, was a major issue and potentially dangerous, and managed to get it in again. Chatting to the master tech and knowing it could be anything, hose or wire not properly connected after major work, something with new pistons etc. We agreed that getting it live logged on vag.com might give a hint as to where to look first.
Listers have called me and said after talking to Audi uk they've been advised that I need to pay to replace spark plugs which might be the issue before testing again... not happy about this as it never happened before and it's so too much of a coincidence the issue happening directly after their work. They said they would pay Labour so just £65 for parts charged to me unless I could prove replaced in last 40k (I need to check history).
Listers said when I asked them about a detailed road test diagnostic logging measuring blocks etc that gone are the days they could spend that sort of time diagnosing an issue, they have to do exactly what Audi uk advise and no more else they don't get paid by them.
So I don't think this is reasonable charging me for what any reasonable person would say was caused by their work.
Any advice?
Audi A5, 2.0 Tfsi - Audi dealer post warranty work issues - advice - oldroverboy.

If you had an engine rebuid on an 8 year old car practically free, even with a bit of inconvenience, £65 isn't too much to spend on spark plugs, remember they will stiil have to fix the fault, but i'd have allok and see if the crank position senson is out a bit, and pay yourself for new plug leads, advisble anyway at this age.

Take it all in context and with a newish engine, look after the car, get it serviced by the dealer in future (they have been good even if mystified) and enjoy your motoring.

I would assume that you had a complete audi service history before to et that on an 8 yr old car, so well done.

Audi A5, 2.0 Tfsi - Audi dealer post warranty work issues - advice - RobJP

I don't think you can complain in the slightest about the (very) small amount of money you are being asked to pay - especially as, with the age of the car alone, Audi could just have told you to get stuffed on the engine rebuild.

Past 6 years, Audi have absolutely zero legal iability, unless it's a VOSA recall.

Count yourself lucky.

Audi A5, 2.0 Tfsi - Audi dealer post warranty work issues - advice - Sulli
Appreciate the responses. I think the point is that liability was accepted - presumably as it was an inherent design fault therefore there being legal protection or the fact that Warchdog had been involved - doesn't really matter why, it was accepted. Aside from oil use the car was fine before - I don't even know if that issue has been fixed as not done enough miles and get this, they failed to top it up properly after rebuild so when I raised this they said they'd do it when they checked fault and again they didn't!
So I can only assume fault has occurred as a result of the work - so I don't think it unreasonable to question whether I should be paying for part of the diagnosis of a fault created by the dealer. What if the spark plugs don't change anything? Will they charge me for new cool packs, leads, MAF?
The point is it was ok before and now isn't...
Audi A5, 2.0 Tfsi - Audi dealer post warranty work issues - advice - brum

No. It wasn't ok before. It was burning excessive oil. It probably had lowered compression etc.

The spark plugs may have been marginal. The leads may have been fragile and not survive intact during the strip down rebuild.

Get real. Your car is over 8? years old and lots of things will be worn.

£65 for a set of NGK iridium plugs is fair parts only price. They needed changing at the next service if you havent changed them for 40k plus, and then they did it for free. If the engine has individual coil paks one of those could be breaking down, otherwise I'd suspect a lead with a broken core which you might not have noticed before. After all 4000 rpm is well over 100 mph in top gear.

You have been extremely lucky to get the goodwill you got. Sounds as if the dealer has been very good. You arent the original owner and bought it with an existing problem well out of manufacturer warranty. If it hasnt got full dealer service history and the car was bought outside the network then the dealer has been quite exceptional.

Yes they will charge for coil paks, sensors etc. That had nothing to do with the engine burning oil, and are all subject to fair wear and tear.

By the way because you got the engine changed FOC under goodwill, they will not warranty it. And before you argue about that, its the norm for VAG. If you had been a bit wiser you should have chipped in a few quid then you would have got 2 years unlimited mileage warranty automatically.

Ask yourself this, would £65 extra on the purchase price have made you not buy the car?

If the dealer had said initially that it would £65 for a new engine and plugs would you have walked away?

Edited by brum on 18/10/2017 at 13:44

Audi A5, 2.0 Tfsi - Audi dealer post warranty work issues - advice - oldroverboy.

No. It wasn't ok before. It was burning excessive oil. It probably had lowered compression etc.

The spark plugs may have been marginal. The leads may have been fragile and not survive intact during the strip down rebuild.

Get real. Your car is over 8? years old and lots of things will be worn.

£65 for a set of NGK iridium plugs is fair parts only price. They needed changing at the next service if you havent changed them for 40k plus, and then they did it for free. If the engine has individual coil paks one of those could be breaking down, otherwise I'd suspect a lead with a broken core which you might not have noticed before. After all 4000 rpm is well over 100 mph in top gear.

You have been extremely lucky to get the goodwill you got. Sounds as if the dealer has been very good. You arent the original owner and bought it with an existing problem well out of manufacturer warranty. If it hasnt got full dealer service history and the car was bought outside the network then the dealer has been quite exceptional.

Yes they will charge for coil paks, sensors etc. That had nothing to do with the engine burning oil, and are all subject to fair wear and tear.

By the way because you got the engine changed FOC under goodwill, they will not warranty it. And before you argue about that, its the norm for VAG. If you had been a bit wiser you should have chipped in a few quid then you would have got 2 years unlimited mileage warranty automatically.

Ask yourself this, would £65 extra on the purchase price have made you not buy the car?

If the dealer had said initially that it would £65 for a new engine and plugs would you have walked away?

The exact reply I would like to have made.

Wel done BRum.