97 Passatt Aircon unit - BB
I have just purchased a 97 TDi Sport for a very nice price of £4000.
However, there was one problem with the car; the climate control was not working. After a quick look under the bonnet, I have noticed that there is a belt missing for the aircon unit. I dont know if this was deliberately taken off by the dealer as a red herring for more serious problems, but has anyone else had experience of getting these belts changed, or any other usual causes of aircon failure?

BB
97 Passatt Aircon unit - Dave N
I would imagine either the compressor has seized, or the clutch bearing has siezed. See if the outer pulley turns freely by hand (clutch bearing), and then see if the compressor hub turns reasonably freely and smoothly.

Basically, if it fails these tests, then you need a new compressor. I think they're about £750 from VW, but less from the aftermarket. If the compressor's seized, then it's quite likely that it's puked it's guts on the system, meaning the whole lot will need flushing, a new orifice tube, and a new accumulator/drier fitted. It may also have a leak, but that will need to be tackled later.

I've just done one this morning, and it took about 4.5 hours to fit all the parts and carry out a proper flush. If you don't flush it properly (and many don't, or don't have the equipment) then your new compressor will go the same way in a very short period of time.

If I was you, I'd get back to the dealer and get it fixed. And make sure they fix it properly otherwise you'll be back there shortly. There's only one way to fix a/c, and that means doing it properly, and getting it right first time.