BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - fv43576

Hi everyone I need a help? I am put a towel heated rail which is current rate of 60watts with 5amps special fuse switchbox, my house cable from the switch socket is 1.5mm 6242Y BS6004 2012 UP TO 300-500 VOLTS I want to connect to the heating 2.5 meter long from switch socket. Is this the correct cable?

Thank you.

BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - Bolt

Are you sure that's 60watt. towel rail heaters are more than that possibly 600w+ . 60w is about the same as incandescent light bulb ?

BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - RobJP

Do be aware that it is a legal requirement that all k****** and bathroom electrical installations MUST either be installed by a registered electrician (as per Part B of BS 7671), or be inspected by building control or an electrician and a certificate issued (for which you will be charged a fee).

Basically, if you've got to ask a question such as that, you aren't competent enough to do the job. Get it wrong, and people can die from electric shock or an electrical fire.

Manslaughter charges or family funerals are not a laughing matter ...

Edited by RobJP on 06/10/2017 at 12:50

BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - fv43576

If it was rate from 400w up to thousand I would have ask qualify electrical man come put but this is energy saver rate only 60 watts inside tube is liquid water warm up like kettle the wiring of towel rack is very thin brown, blue and earth is required a plug or connect to fuse switch with 5amps and instruction is to fit on your own. How can this be dangerous? this is British standard certificate number BS1362 is printed on paper but no mentioned British Standard BS 7671

BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - Bolt

I wonder why these things are called energy savers, they take ages to get anywhere close to warm, and because of that they use the same amount of electric as a higher powered heater but take longer

better idea safety wise, but not a power/energy saver, at least kettles heat up quick

BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - concrete

60 watt seems pretty low for a heater, which is 0 .006Kw. 600 watt is 0 .6Kw which is not much, but more realistic and should pull approximately 3 amps from your supply. 1.5mm cable is rated for use at 5amps so the cable is sufficient up to 5 amps. However 1.5mm cable is not used for power circuits, generally only lighting circuits. Power circuits sre 2.5mm which is rated for use to 13 amps. You can spur off 2.5mm power circuits then fuse down to 5 amp protection and then use 1.5mm cable to your heater. Probably the cable entry into the heater will be round heat resistant cable which will need to be properly terminated in a socket box with a double pole isolator switch. All in all I would be employing an electrician if I were you. Electricity is not to meddled with and can be lethal if incorrectly installed. Also when you come to sell your house you may need to prove the heater was correctly installed by a qualified person.

Cheers Concrete

BS 6004 2012 cable correct for heating? - galileo

60 watt seems pretty low for a heater, which is 0 .006Kw. 600 watt is 0 .6Kw which is not much, but more realistic and should pull approximately 3 amps from your supply. 1.5mm cable is rated for use at 5amps so the cable is sufficient up to 5 amps. However 1.5mm cable is not used for power circuits, generally only lighting circuits. Power circuits sre 2.5mm which is rated for use to 13 amps. You can spur off 2.5mm power circuits then fuse down to 5 amp protection and then use 1.5mm cable to your heater. Probably the cable entry into the heater will be round heat resistant cable which will need to be properly terminated in a socket box with a double pole isolator switch. All in all I would be employing an electrician if I were you. Electricity is not to meddled with and can be lethal if incorrectly installed. Also when you come to sell your house you may need to prove the heater was correctly installed by a qualified person.

Cheers Concrete

I think you mean 60 watts is .06 Kw, not .006. As you say 1.5mm cable is for lighting, which suggests the heater is only 60w. Probably advertised as low energy but without comment on effectiveness.