2008 VW Polo - Split Console / Rear Lower Arm Bushes - PX-230A
I had some new front tyres fitted recently and the garage noticed that both front console bushes (or rear lower arm bushes according to the Haynes manual) are split. I’m not sure how they could see the actual splits as VW packed them with grease as they’re prone to making creaking noises.

The car feels fine, tyre wear is normal and it passed an MOT last week with no advisories.

If the bushes are split, what kind of symptoms should I expect?

Edited by PX-230A on 21/09/2017 at 14:30

2008 VW Polo - Split Console / Rear Lower Arm Bushes - RobJP

The bushes being split or worn will lead to other suspension components wearing out faster, more rapid/uneven tyre wear - and those could then compromise handling and safety.

I'm rather surprised though. Split bushes are normally an MOT failure, and worn bushes are usually an advisory.

2008 VW Polo - Split Console / Rear Lower Arm Bushes - bathtub tom

Where did you have the new tyres done, was it somewhere that fitted them kwikly?

Thanks for the replies.

What will the car feel like though if the bushes are split?

I had the tyres done at a local trusted independent. They only do tyres so it’s not like they were trying to get extra work.
2008 VW Polo - Split Console / Rear Lower Arm Bushes - RobJP
Thanks for the replies. What will the car feel like though if the bushes are split?

It won't feel any different. But it would lead to faster suspension wear on other components, faster tyre wear, and therefore would lead to more expense.

Thanks Rob...I’ll get it checked out!
2008 VW Polo - Split Console / Rear Lower Arm Bushes - blindspot

do you feel any slight shaking when heavy braking

So I had the bushes replaced today...feels nice on the front now.

The back end seems a bit bouncy now though. Is it possible that I’m feeling it more because the front is now tight and less bouncy, and is transferring the energy to the back?

It’s particularly noticeable when coming to a stop.
2008 VW Polo - Split Console / Rear Lower Arm Bushes - blindspot

was there previously any shaking at the front end, when hard braking