Toyota Verso - Safety of 7-seater cars - Orian

We've been planning on trading in our 11-year-old Ford CMAX for a small 7-seater - only 2 kids but extra seats are needed for visiting family and friends (so not that often), on trips about town and maybe day trips further out of the city. But once someone pointed out the safety implications of having the third row of seats so close to the back of the car and we're wondering whether to reconsider. Are there any 7-seaters which might be safer, and what would the compromises be for us?

We want a smaller 7-seater as we have onstreet, residents parking bays so space can be difficult (and my partner is currently trying to get a driving license). Also we prefer a petrol, in part because of recent diesel controversies but also because we dont' do that many miles (5K or so) and mostly short trips. Looking for 2015 or newer, paying cash approx 15K-18K. Oh and don't like the new CMAX in that as the seats in the second row are not even sized it's hard to fit an adult between two car seats. But our daughter will soon out out of a car seat so this might be less of an issue.

Toyota Verso - Safety of 7-seater cars - gordonbennet

Can't see how you can have a smaller sized vehicle able to seat 7 without the rearmost seats being close to the back door/window, and the same goes for some small hatchbacks.

If you want better rear protection then a higher heavier 4x4 7/8 seater is an alternative, but at some cost increase both purchase and running costs, yes despite the naysayers they will be safer overall because height and a heavy chassis extending to the rear bumper.

Toyota Verso - Safety of 7-seater cars - badbusdriver

Sorry GB, but that isn't how it works. Fortunately car designers themselves realised decades ago that a separate chassis does not make a car safe. In order to make a car safe, the structure of the car needs to be able to absorb and dissipate the enormous forces and energy of an accident. A separate chassis is very rigid and strong, which is fine for a truck, or some other vehicle that carries heavy loads. But in the event of an accident, that same strength and rigidity is it's own undoing as it won't crumple to absorb the impact. Instead, it transfers all of that force directly to the occupants. A modern, well designed car absorbs the impact, drastically reducing the forces inflicted on the occupants. In fact, the only type of crash where you may (this is assuming everyone in the car is sitting properly, belted up, and with correctly positioned headrests) be better off with a separate chassis, (ironically, given the OP's concern) is in the case of being rear ended. In every other instance, you would be worse off than with a modern well designed monocoque.

Sorry, posted below before I had seen this. Thanks that's very helpful!

Sorry GB, but that isn't how it works.

I keep hearing this, but it all depends on the circs of the accident at the time and what you hit.

That carelessly abandoned concrete block that the NCAP tests are based on doesn't feature too often in the real world, as you rightly say the rear ender which our OP is concerned about then in almost all cases the heavy chassised 4x4 will be a safer place to be for the rearmost passengers, if for no other reason than the height advantage.

I can only go back to the 70 series Landcruiser which my lovely wife took though some armco/railings at around 50 mph, took the lot out complete with concrete bases, no crumple zones no airbags, the front bumper and chassis took the whole blow and literally did not budge, in this accident the battering ram effect saved her from any injuries at all, and the car still ran and drove, the height advantage and heavy chassismight have saved possible underbody penetration by the armco steelwork, though had the object been an immovable wall then yes agreed the outcome might have been completely different.

Interestingly Toyota have done lots of work on chassis deformation with newer models and the current 120 series LC chassis is indeed designed now to deform, it is considerably lighter at the extreme front end than the older models, i don't agree that separate chassis are finished as regards safety.

I know where i'd rather be in the event of serious pile up, and i'll put my faith in a strong rigid car for the typical events to be found on the road, but each to their own.

edit, oh Lord i hope someone doesn't post that fifth gear head on test crash of an old thing of a Discovery and a modern car in offset front crash, which often gets brought up in this age old discussion, the OP is looking for rear protection.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/09/2017 at 16:01

Toyota Verso - Safety of 7-seater cars - RT

I can remember when the P38A Range Rover was being developed, the last one on a separate chassis, the engineers had huge difficulty passing the safety test standards then in place - the chassis hadn't got enough compression and the body had too much. It was eventally resolved but taught them that future models had to be full monocoque.

Sorry GB, but that isn't how it works.

I keep hearing this, but it all depends on the circs of the accident at the time and what you hit.

That carelessly abandoned concrete block that the NCAP tests are based on doesn't feature too often in the real world, as you rightly say the rear ender which our OP is concerned about then in almost all cases the heavy chassised 4x4 will be a safer place to be for the rearmost passengers, if for no other reason than the height advantage.

I can only go back to the 70 series Landcruiser which my lovely wife took though some armco/railings at around 50 mph, took the lot out complete with concrete bases, no crumple zones no airbags, the front bumper and chassis took the whole blow and literally did not budge, in this accident the battering ram effect saved her from any injuries at all, and the car still ran and drove, the height advantage and heavy chassismight have saved possible underbody penetration by the armco steelwork, though had the object been an immovable wall then yes agreed the outcome might have been completely different.

Interestingly Toyota have done lots of work on chassis deformation with newer models and the current 120 series LC chassis is indeed designed now to deform, it is considerably lighter at the extreme front end than the older models, i don't agree that separate chassis are finished as regards safety.

I know where i'd rather be in the event of serious pile up, and i'll put my faith in a strong rigid car for the typical events to be found on the road, but each to their own.

edit, oh Lord i hope someone doesn't post that fifth gear head on test crash of an old thing of a Discovery and a modern car in offset front crash, which often gets brought up in this age old discussion, the OP is looking for rear protection.

Interesting that you 1st put down the fact that euro ncap crash the cars into a concrete block but then use how your lancruiser coped with hitting a concrete block to determine how strong it is?!.

Euro ncap have not tested a landcruiser, not sure why, but out of the current models tested against that concrete block, the lowest scoring toyota for adult occupancy protection (apart from the aygo, which is jointly produced with citroen and peugeot) is the hilux, which, I think I'm right in saying, has a separate chassis. In fact the tiny iq scores much better in an impact with the concrete block.

Another important issue regarding car safety, which, as a general rule, is totally ignored. A cars ability to avoid having an accident in the 1st place. A huge, heavy, lumbering 4x4 is going to have little chance of swerving round an obstacle in the road or an accident which has just taken place, instead plowing into the back of the wreckage, potentially killing anyone still in the car.

Like you say, each to their own, but I wouldn't want that on my conscience......

By the way, we have a honda jazz, a car which is just over a ton in weight, is extremely agile, less than 1.7m wide and scores 93% in the adult occupancy protection. Frankly I'd much rather be in it than an old school 4x4 with the agility and responses of a boat

Interesting that you 1st put down the fact that euro ncap crash the cars into a concrete block but then use how your lancruiser coped with hitting a concrete block to determine how strong it is?!.

I'll rephrase, she took out armco/railings which ripped the concrete foundations out, as i said before the design of car was fortunate in this instance, if had been an immovable wall then things would have been different.

This isn't ncap, but if you want a LC crash test

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUqTVo4mYq4

Simple answer here is you can't have it both ways. In order to fit 7 seats into a fairly small footprint, the rearmost seats are inevitably going to be close to the rear of the car. If the rearmost seats are only going to be used occasionally, most people (assuming they give the matter any consideration at all) just accept the risk. If, however, you have more than 3 children, it would be sensible and safer to get a larger mpv for the extra peace of mind.

The only thing, other than going for a bigger mpv I can suggest, is to go for one of the two 6 seat (two rows of 3) mpv's that have been sold in the UK (as far as I know). The Honda FR-V is probably the best bet, though the centre 2 seats are narrower. The other option is the Fiat multipla, which has 6 full size seats, but is likely to be less reliable than the Honda. The benefit of this layout is the overall length is no more than a focus sized car, and of course, the gap between the rear seats and the tailgate is the same as the focus.

But, of course, both those cars have been out of production for a number of years. I was just looking at the Honda the other day regarding another post, and I think the latest of them were 2009. I think the Fiat was discontinued a few years before that.

So, to summarise, unless you are prepared to get an older (6 seat) car, or take your chances with a small 7 seater, you will have to bite the bullet and get a bigger mpv.

Toyota Verso - Safety of 7-seater cars - RT

Longer 7-seaters tends to extend the 2nd row leg room, rather than the distance between the 3rd row and rear bumper.

Even 9-seater mini-buses suffer from this although sometimes larger models are used as a basis but with last row of seats removed and the vehicle down-plated to allow being driven on a B car licence.

Toyota Verso - Safety of 7-seater cars - SLO76
Do what almost everyone else does in your position... tell visiting relatives and friends to hire a car or get a taxi. We regularly have such situations but visitors either bring their own car or we all get in a taxi if needs be. There's absolutely no need to buy an MPV which is more costly to buy and run plus less pleasant to drive than the ordinary hatchback it's based on for such occasional use.

How often will you need those extra seats? You will be introducing your kids to extra risk by having them sat in the rearmost seats in a smaller 7str but if you absolutely must have a compact MPV then there's no choice. I suggest a rethink. A Mazda 6 saloon or Estate would serve as a great, spacious big family car but give much higher levels of refinement and driver enjoyment than any small MPV. Equally a Honda Civic or Mazda 3 would fit the role of family car for two adults and two kids no problem at all if parking is an issue.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/09/2017 at 15:11

Thanks both! Yes, I understand that it sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it. But I want some advice, if anyone knows, on the safest 7-seaters I suppose - are all larger 7-seaters created equal in that respect?

For example, the Citroen Grand C4 Picasso, which is the only other one that I've examined in person, is larger (by only 14 cm but still...) but it I'm pretty sure that the third row is just as close to the rear of the car as in the Verso. Are there any, regardless of length, where the third row is more within the chassis than others? Are there any of more robust construction? A Kia Carens is quite a bit bigger but might crumple like a wet tissue for all I know. There are lots of models eg Peugot or Nissan which are more SUV-style but that might all be styling with no substantail improvement in safety. There are several BMW 2 series around, are they likely to offer improved protection?

Sorry, posted this before some of the above replies.

If you go on to the euro ncap website, you will find specific and detailed information about each car crash tested. But I'm pretty sure they don't do rear impacts, yet.

No, it's not part of their assessment as far as I know. Hence the post :)