Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - bex145

I'm looking at buying a car with a much bigger boot compared to my current astra. I'm also looking for a car that will fit an adult comfortably between two car seats in the back. I've narrowed it down to the peugeot 5008 and the ford smax. On paper the boot of the 5008 is bigger than the smax but the middle adult is a little bit of a tight squeeze unless you move the middle seat forward or back so they aren't directly inbetween the car seats. The middle seat of the smax fits the middle adult perfectly.

As far as looks and gadgets go the smax is much nicer and better looking, I'm not keen on the looks of the 5008's back end at all.

I'm also looking for the 2.0litre diesel engine but am struggling to find a 5008 in a 2.0litre engine.

I'm torn between the two as although my heart is set on an smax they are so expensive compared to the 5008. On my budget I can get a 5008 that's 2-3 years younger than an smax and about 20-30k miles less. I'm hoping to keep the car for about 5 years. An smax would then be 10years old and a 5008 would be 7 or 8 years old. Based on this I've researched that the 5008 would be worth about £1k more than the smax in 5 years too.

Basically I'm looking for other peoples opinions on both cars please and any suggestions that may help me decide.

Edited by bex145 on 19/08/2017 at 23:03

Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - SLO76
What is you budget?
How are you financing it?
How many miles do you do roughly per year and is it largely local running or do you do regular longer distance?
Why do you need a 2.0 engine? Is it for towing or do you do a lot of B road driving and need the overtaking power?
Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - bex145

The very maximum I can spend is £12k and it will be financed through part ex of astra and a 5 year loan. I do up to 10k miles a year and I'd say half dual carriage way and half A and B roads but mainly only 20mins of driving at a time, not enough to heat it up properly. I'm aware of the DPF problems (which I'm starting to experience on my astra) but cant find a petrol in either.

I currently drive a 2.0 litre diesel engine at 165bhp and enjoy the power but also need it alot for overtaking. I've not read good things about the smax 1.6, that it's sluggish and doesn't pull well especially with a full load. I've driven both in a 1.6 and found both to be pretty slow and didn't have very good power when overtaking. It took alot longer than my astra would have.

Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - daveyK_UK
I would consider a 7 seater Fiat Doblo MPV or Citroen Bermongo Multispace MPV

They are rare in 7 seater mode but you can find them

The Doblo with the 2.0 diesel is pretty good, the 1.6 diesel less so

The Berlingo will have the 1.6 diesel which despite being widely used? Is problematic around 4 years old but you can mitigate against some of these issues by servicing regular and removing the mesh from the turbos.

The Doblo 7 seater can also be specified with a decent 1.4 petrol engine, I would recommend this option.

The beauty of a Doblo or Multispace in your price range is you will get a vehicle 1 year old with 2 years warranty left and both can seat 3 adults in the middle row and the back rows.

You may even get a brand new Doblo in diesel form with the 7 seat option for £13k, I remember a post on hotukdeals of a dealer selling 7 seater petrol versions of the Doblo for just over £12k last year.
It would be worth checking this out and also having a look on car wow for how much discount you can currently get.

And the beauty of the Doblo MPV and Berlingo Multispace compared to the 5008 and Smax is cheaper insurance and cheaper parts.

Hope it helps

Edited by daveyK_UK on 20/08/2017 at 00:48

Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - Avant

I'm sure you can get three adults in the back of a Berlingo, but an adult and two kiddy seats?

The S-Max is more expensive than a Peugeot 5008 of the same age as the Ford is likely to last longer. You could think about a Galaxy or SEAT Alhambra as an alternative.

I think you'll need the 2.0 diesel in whichever you buy: the 1,6 is sluggish and there have been problems woth both Ford and Peugeot 1.6 diesels. Unfortunately when the cars that you're looking at were new, everyone had been previously encouraged by the non-driving Gordon Brown to buy dlesels.

Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - SLO76
Not sure if it's big enough but it's certainly much more useful than your Astra and it offers good longterm reliability and plenty of midrange pulling power for safe overtaking combined with decent economy. Resale is easy too as there's always strong demand for a 7str Toyota.

The model I've linked here uses Toyota's own 2.0 D4-D engine but later cars use BMW's 1.6 diesel which although more economical is unlikely to be as robust. You'll lose less on one of these than the Ford or Peugeot and they're not prone to DPF and dual mass flywheel problems unlike both the others. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170713735...1

If it's not big enough then I'd sooner trust in something from the VAG stable such as this Seat Alhambra. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170727777...2

The Zafira offers good value too but I wouldn't trust the Fiat designed diesels in the longterm. The 1.4 turbo petrol is acceptable enough for most drivers but you'd need to try one over a good run before committing. Comfortable, reliable and loads of space but they tend to drop hard in value due to oversupply. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170817841...7

The Ford S-Max is a nice big bus to drive but don't touch the 1.6 diesel with a barge pole. It's notorious for problems past 5yrs. The 2.0 is a good motor but DPF and DMF issues are almost guaranteed later in ownership. You won't find a nicer MPV to drive though.

I'd leave the 5008 alone. Big Peugeot's tend to collapse in value and for good reason. It's basically a sound engine (same one as the Ford S-Max) but suffers the same issues combined with lower standards on electronics, trim and paintwork. You'll find it next to worthless when you want to sell it on and I believe there's trouble brewing for Peugeot in the future. After their near collapse the firm put the squeeze on suppliers to cut costs to save the firm which will have a detrimental effect on quality and reliability and in turn cripple used values.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/08/2017 at 01:49

Peugeot 5008 - Peugeot 5008 or Ford S-Max - sandy56

I like both the SMax and the Peugeot 5008. I currently run a 7 year old Peugeot with a 2litre diesel auto and it is a fast smooth comfortable car. If I had to make a choice I would probably go for the Peugeot, as mine as been very reliable, and it is significantly cheaper, even though they use the same engine. I have had no problems with the paint trim or electrics, and the paint is way better than on my wifes near new BMW. Go for the 2L Peugeot.