Ford Fiesta - Short loud rattle on startup - dfects

I have a Fiesta Mk6 (facelift model) 1.25 duratec engine... last month or so when the cars cold or especially if its damp out it seems my car makes a really strange rattle/knock right after firing up for just a second. I tried to grab it on video... its fine after its been started, drove it for over 3 hours yesterday no problems other than the noise when I started it in the morning:

I grabbed a recording here: https://youtu.be/2Q9owbvxUb4

Any ideas what it could be? :(

Ford Fiesta - Short loud rattle on startup - craig-pd130

Doesn't sound bad to me from the video. Does it only make the rattle during the first start of the day, that is, when the engine is stone cold after it's being sitting overnight?

If so, I would say it's almost certainly tappet / valve clatter that's caused by the oil draining back to the sump. It takes a couple of seconds after the start for the oil to circulate properly, and it will rattle until the oil is flowing properly.

Is the oil level OK, and when was the oil last changed?

Depending on the year, the 1.25 engine can have hydraulic tappets (which can be noisy for a second or two when starting, but don't need servicing) or bucket-and-shim tappets, which DO need servicing occasionally, and will make a rattle / clatter when they need a service..

Ford Fiesta - Short loud rattle on startup - Oli rag
It's hard to tell, but it sounds like the starter motor is staying engaged for longer than it should.

The oil was changed at the start of July. Checked the invoice, says 5w/30 oil which I believe is correct based on the top up oil Ford gave me a while back. Checked the levels yesterday and it is just below max. It's an 07 plate, only done around 45k and doesn't get driven more than 2-3 times a week.

Interesting you mention the starter, it was replaced 1-2 years ago for not engaging and sounding a bit like a hair dryer.

Is another video here where it might be a bit clearer, but the cameras mic tries to be clever and cuts the sound right after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2sI8dP1is&feature=youtu.be

Will get it booked in anyway.

Edited by dfects on 17/08/2017 at 10:00

Ford Fiesta - Short loud rattle on startup - craig-pd130

Listening again to the second video, I think Oli is right, the starter isn't disengaging quickly and cleanly. After it disengages, the engine sounds normal.

Thanks for the replies. Hoping that's all it is. Is booked in for Tuesday at my local trusted garage, will avoid using it much before then. Not sure if it can cause damage to anything with what it's doing.