Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - bananastand

well after 3 years of trouble free driving it's time to change, as the Santa Fe petrol 2.7 is now an epic fail for the MoT. New seatbelt required at £390 + VAT, yeah ok, I think not. (None in any scrapyards either)

Leaky radiator, warped front discs, ABS fault light, etc etc. Works out at £750 depreciation per year, not too bad I think.

Anyway, HJ commented on a letter about 6 weeks ago, some bloke had a big Audi diesel, and HJ issued horrific warnings about impending bills because of the car's complexity and legislation requiring this "upgrade" or that "fix" or whatever, running into many thousands. However there are many adverts for diesels on Autotrader for diesel cars

The question is, would I be mad for buying a reasonably powerful diesel for towing a medium size caravan? Is the diesel apocalypse just round the corner? Do diesel owners face gigantic bills or legislation to push them off the road?

PS - for those with long memories I'm still a regular in private eye

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - Stanb Sevento

You ask a big big question bananastand and one you will not get a definitive answer to. Plenty of diverse opinions but no clear cut answers.

My opinion is that EURO 4 cars will be band from town centres, EURO 5 maybe from some and EURO 6 unlikely to be baned.

VAGs fix is causing problems, most are OK with a slight drop in low rev torque but up to 25% of them are having actual faults develop, some are horrendous faults. VAG seam unable to get to the bottom of this and sort the cars out. They are now offering a two year warranty on fuel and emissions system on fixed cars, there are some conditions attached. Other makers are now having to do similar "fixes" so the problems VAG are having could become much more widespread. In the UK there is no requirement to have the fix done.

If I needed the type of car you describe it would be a diesel but I would buy very carefully. I would rather have an unfixed car than a fixed, I would need a long test drive, all day if possible, town, motorway country roads. I would also want to see the condition of the emissions system EGR valve and DPF. Easily done with an OBD device.

HJ is pretty pesamistic about diesel, probably for good reason as he hears of all the horror stories but the fact is the majority run their cars trouble free for very high mileages. Many will disagree with me Im sure.

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - SLO76
All depends on how many reddies you're willing to commit. Are we talking old smoker under £3k here or gleaming £30k showboat? Also, what sort of usage will it see, mostly local stop start or regular distance work?

up to £4k I'm afraid, determined to buy it out of "current expenditure" rather than dip into the old savings

I do mostly trips of ten miles or more, usually significantly more, so on paper a diesel makes sense I suppose. I'm avoiding badge snobbery and all things VAG

I wish they still made those 3.2 Vectras, mine was great

There seem to be a lot of Peugot 407 3.0 coupes but SWMBO won't have it.

update - got bored of autotrader and currently much enthused with the ebay alternative. "Stoked" I believe the young people say

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - madf

What a future Governmnt is could do - long beforfe banning dieslsl, is incraese VED on the polluting Euro4/5 ones to say £500 a year.. or something similar. Not a ban. And do it when the youngest is say 10 years old - not too many vboters affected.. Could be done in stages..

Basically an enforced scrappage scheme unless you pay.. One thing for sure .. a non Euro 6 diesel is likely to depreciate very quickly once punters realise...

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - sandy56

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L diesel auto, loaded for one or Jag S-type 3L Petrol, two alternatives easily available and in budget.

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - RT

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L diesel auto, loaded for one or Jag S-type 3L Petrol, two alternatives easily available and in budget.

Cheap - because the older diesels will get banned first.

James Ruppert from autocar recommended 5 series, GS300 or Audi S8, all petrol. I'm getting sick of the classifieds TBH.

I'm not far from Belle Vue BCA, maybe I'll take that route....

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - corax

James Ruppert from autocar recommended 5 series, GS300 or Audi S8, all petrol. I'm getting sick of the classifieds TBH.

I've got his amusing and informative book on bangernomics.

The classifieds leave you cross eyed and spent after a few days.

Land Cruiser LC3? I think they need injector seals replacing to stop carbon build up but a good tow car. Gordon Bennet will be the authority on this as he owns one from that era.

Hyundai Santa Fe - change of car - dire warnings against diesel? - badbusdriver

Grand cherokee 4.7 V8 petrol

With lpg ;)