All - Dangerous Attitudes - RaineMan

This time I am not talking about people’s behaviour on the roads but their attitude to car maintenance. I got my first car in the seventies and m still in the habit of checking lights, fluids and tyres regularly. A friend who is ten years older than me ecently joined a forum for retired people when trying to understand what benefits he was entitled to. He is also something of a car enthusiast (owns a Focus and a Morris 8). However, he finds it hard to believe the attitude of some of them towards car maintenance and safety checks. Today one person boasted he never had his car serviced bar an oil and filter change every two years. Previously a number of members felt it was adequate to have your tyres checked as part of the MOT. They would probably think I have OCD as a check pressures, the treads (including sidewalls and also looking for uneven wear) and for any foreign objects in the tread most weeks.

Edited by RaineMan on 26/07/2017 at 18:31

All - Dangerous Attitudes - skidpan

Its not just retired people, all age groups have idiots.

Some months ago I heard about a Merc A Class that had clearly visible cracks (so bad the Ray Charles would have seen them) in the rear tyres. They were pointed out to the female owner who said not to worry since it was due an MOT in a few months.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - gordonbennet

If it wasn't for the numerous electronic anti collision systems, plus multiple airbags coupled with crumple zones, there would be far fewer of these people about.

Darwin rules.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - RT

My limited experience is that younger drivers have less interest in cars mechanically so less likely to DIY - while at the same time being stretched financially so less likely to have a car serviced

All - Dangerous Attitudes - SLO76
A couple of years back I was offered an elderly customers very tidy low mileage (44k) Vauxhall Omega 2.2. It had a full history and drove spot on but the tyres (obviously the origionals) were coming apart in chunks due to age. I informed the gent in question that he shouldn't drive it any further on said rubber but was met with outright hostility and an accusation that I was merely trying to "steal it" and that the "tyres were perfectly legal." My realistic offer was angrily refused and the car gathered dust and rust on his driveway for another year before no doubt being scrapped - at least it never really went anywhere. It's frightening that so many people are utterly ignorant about even the basics of motor maintenance.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/07/2017 at 19:07

I knew someone who got an expensively restored British sports car. Despite paying a small fortune he never changed the oil for five years (he said there was no need because of the low mileage). It was sold at a loss when the rebuilt engine started emitting blue smoke!

All - Dangerous Attitudes - sandy56

I remember using a nearly new company car(not my car), and as I had a long drive ahead of me I checked the oil etc. Strange to say there was no oil indicate don the dipstick -nil. I took the time to fill it and topped the water up, and made my journey safely.

I saved the company a large amount of money that day, but nobody thanked me.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Andrew-T

Many years ago my brother-in-law inherited his father's elderly Maxi, driving it from Birmingham to Aberdeen. We visited soon afterwards and had an amusing time with the kids, bombing down the slopes towards Torry quayside, managing to stop before the edge. Afterwards at their place, I discovered that the brake-fluid reservoir was almost dry.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Terry W

Money has a lot to do with this.

At 17 or 18 I resented every unaffordable £ spent on repairs and maintenance, preferring to spend the moeny on beer and kebabs. Tyres were run to the limit and beyond. Steering, suspension and brakes only replaced if they failed an MOT. I even drilled out the air correction jet to weaken the mixture and mix petrol 4:1 with parafin to reduce fuel costs.

Move on 40 years and my attitudes are completely different - any safety related issue is dealt with early or immediately. Tyres changed with 3mm + tread. Serviced on manufacturers schedule, Any safety related items replaced as soon as a pronlem is apparent. But of course now I can afford a couple of hundred ££ without making compromises elsewhere.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - scot22

Set higher standard for MOT and have stronger enforcement to ensure all vehicles on the road are mechanically safe. If they are not, seize vehicle and crush. Said I get obsessive about safety.

A side benfit would be it reduces congestion.

Set higher standard for MOT and have stronger enforcement to ensure all vehicles on the road are mechanically safe. If they are not, seize vehicle and crush. Said I get obsessive about safety.

A side benfit would be it reduces congestion.

Scot22 - it really is that simple, we take the 50% least roadworthy cars off to the crusher and ban the worst 50% of drivers - the one problem is that those car owners/drivers are voters so no politician dare use common sense!

Well the thread I referred to has had one very sensible reply. The person has never had a new car but buys one owner ones with a full service history, services them regularly and does regular routine checks. I just hope some of the other posters there take this in but somehow I doubt it!

All - Dangerous Attitudes - John F

.....Today one person boasted he never had his car serviced bar an oil and filter change every two years. .....

If you have an old basic car/engine and only do four or five thousand miles a year I think this is perfectly reasonable. Oil doesn't 'go off' after 365 days. The annual MoT will pick up anything else that needs doing.

The annual MoT will pick up anything else that needs doing.

I suppose we should expect this attitude from a well known poster with dangerous and potentially very costly views.

The MOT is not intended to point out what maintenance needs doing, its an annual safety check. My cars are maintained as a minimum to the manufacturers schedule and I expect them to pass with no issues which they have done for over 20 years.

In the 43 years I have been driving I can only remember us having 3 fails of which pne was justified (corroded brake pipes which were pretty much invisible until the car was on a ramp as they were tucked up inside the chassis rails), another was a cracked screen (it was invisible from the drivers seat and only visible from the outside when the wiper was lifted) and wiper blades about 4 years ago. The blades were actually fine, the problem was diesel on the screen. They fitted new blades in my presence and they made no difference. They then cleaned the screen and it was fine. No charge for the new blades.

Edited by skidpan on 27/07/2017 at 19:06

All - Dangerous Attitudes - RobJP

If that is your attitude to standard maintenance, then please, please, hand in your licence. You are as unfit to be on the road as the numpty going along texting or doing their social media updates.

Just imagine : A bulged sidewall on the inside of the tyre. John F is quite happy to drive on it for 11 months. A failed stop/tail light. It's OK, they'll spot it at the next MOT !

All - Dangerous Attitudes - barney100

This is quite worrying, I must be old fashioned as I always check all fluids and tyres every week. I can't set off on any long journey without repeating the above and clean the screen and lights and put the tyre pump in the boot with water and oil.

Not sure tougher MOTs are the way but more random checks with appropriate penalties for cars in dangerous condition would be more effective.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - FP

"A bulged sidewall on the inside of the tyre. John F is quite happy to drive on it for 11 months."

When did he say that?

All - Dangerous Attitudes - RobJP

"A bulged sidewall on the inside of the tyre. John F is quite happy to drive on it for 11 months."

When did he say that?

He said, regarding someone only getting their car serviced every 2 years :

If you have an old basic car/engine and only do four or five thousand miles a year I think this is perfectly reasonable. Oil doesn't 'go off' after 365 days. The annual MoT will pick up anything else that needs doing.

ANYTHING else. I take that as meaning he doesn't bother looking for things that need doing in between MOTs, because the MOT will pick up ... anything else that needs doing.

The troll johnf has done it again. Time to ban him forever.

Don't be daft, Skidpan. He just has widely different views from yours. Most of us recognise that and smile indulgently.

My personal views on maintenance lie somewhere betwen the two of you. For example I stopped travelling with spare oil and water soon after I returned from America and was less likely to be stranded many miles from anywhere; and cars have become much less prone to sudden breakdown.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - bathtub tom

For example I stopped travelling with spare oil and water soon after I returned from America

Me too, but I've still got the tool box in the boot!

All - Dangerous Attitudes - madf

I travel with a swiss army knife. If the screwdriveers on it (2) cannot fix a problem, it will be too difficult...

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Wackyracer

I travel with a swiss army knife. If the screwdriveers on it (2) cannot fix a problem, it will be too difficult...

I have a Toyota original tool roll, complete with 2 open ended spanners a screwdriver and a pair of slip joint pliers. As you say, their isn't much we can do on a modern car at the side of the road. The days of cleaning and re adjusting the points or banging the SU fuel pump with your shoe are long gone.

I remember breaking down in the middle of nowhere in North Wales, surrounded only by sheep and slate. I had to remove and strip the fuel pump and carb to get all the dirt out of it from having bought petrol in a rural fuel station. Of course these days with fuel filters fitted as standard to all cars we wouldn't have such problems.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - piggy

Sometimes irony can be very ironic.

Don't be daft, Skidpan. He just has widely different views from yours. Most of us recognise that and smile indulgently.

Some of his views are dangerous and could lead to not only damage to the vehicle but to personal injury as well. Remember when he advocated putting his mysterious belt dressing on with the engine running, just imagine a careless reader of the post trying that and loosing fingers. Avant had to warn him at that point.

Not everyone would recognise his views as being the polar opposite of good practice and if a less than knowledgeable person read them, followed them and had a incident as a result who would be to blame. Obviously you have to take responsibility for your own actions but for some everything on the internet is fact.

In a thread on Technical earlier this week John F said:

Actually, Bluecol would probably be perfectly satisfactory for UK roads where speeds now rarely rise above 60mph.

Could you imagine what would really happen if you used Bluecol instead of brake fluid as suggested. It would make an interesting article in the Telegraph if a case resulting form an accident ended up in court considering that the advice given by Honest John is normally very good.

ANYTHING else. I take that as meaning he doesn't bother looking for things that need doing in between MOTs, because the MOT will pick up ... anything else that needs doing.

As usual, you take that meaning completely wrong.

Although I never submit our cars to a garage for 'servicing' (they never do important things like greasing brake pipes or taking early action to prevent corrosion spread), I check them over regularly and service them myself.

Yet again, the mechanical thought police on here have overreacted in their usual insulting manner to anything that might infer that far too much unnecessary and expensive 'servicing' goes on (promoted by those who ought to know better but have a vested interest in augmenting motor trade business.)

Although I never submit our cars to a garage for 'servicing' (they never do important things like greasing brake pipes or taking early action to prevent corrosion spread), I check them over regularly and service them myself.

The servicing that does NOT include all the things on ALL manufacturers schedules such as oil changes, cam belt changes, brake fluid changes, do I need to go on.

I give up, the man is a total idiot.

Edited by skidpan on 28/07/2017 at 10:07

Did you read this bit as well, Skidpan?

"Although I never submit our cars to a garage for 'servicing' (they never do important things like greasing brake pipes or taking early action to prevent corrosion spread), I check them over regularly and service them myself."

For some reason Skidpan gets very hot under the collar about certain things. And JohnF is certainly not a troll, which implies that he says things just to wind people up. He has always defended his views calmly and logically. Ban him? Don't be ridiculous.

You don't have to agree, but there's no need to get worked up.

<< Although I never submit our cars to a garage for 'servicing' (they never do important things like greasing brake pipes or taking early action to prevent corrosion spread), I check them over regularly and service them myself. >>

This approach is only possible if you drive a 20th-century car (as I believe you do), or are very well equipped, both mechanically and knowledgeably. It's difficult to DiY modern cars properly without a hoist, for example.

I can only say that I'm glad we have the MOT yearly, at least at that rate the dangerous vehicles should be found within 12months. At one time when I was driving a small van around London I took to looking at the wheels on cars when at red traffic lights and it was frightening to see how many in a month had missing wheel nuts or studs snapped off.

I have a family member who never services their car, In fact to my knowledge they have only had one oil change in the last 6+ years. It's pointless trying to talk to them about it as they clearly know better than me (I've been on the spanners since a kid and built a few kitcars, Worked doing SVA and MOT prep etc). Their attitude is the MOT is a service, broken indicator lens so you have a flashing white indicator? that's fine my MOT is still valid for another 6 months, all you can do is leave them to it and try not to listen when they are moaning that mr plod has given them a ticket for it.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Terry W

I have some sympathy in using the MOT as the basis for a fairly thorough annual inspection. Over the last 25 years cars have become much more reliable with components and tyres made to much finer specifications.

I may check oil every few thousand miles when I am cleaning the car or topping up the washers - although it never seems to use any. At the same time make a visual check of water and brake fluid. Car gets regularly and properly serviced.

My last change the wheel immediately puncture was 20 years ago (few slow punctures since then). The last breakdown was about 25 years ago (wiper linkage on a rainy day).

A thorough MoT inspection (around 45mins) will reveal any faults, and I am alert to developing noises and vibration which I get fixed anyway.

It has obviously worked for me.

Did you read this bit as well, Skidpan?

"Although I never submit our cars to a garage for 'servicing' (they never do important things like greasing brake pipes or taking early action to prevent corrosion spread), I check them over regularly and service them myself."

Of couse I read it, I quoted it in my last post.

It only shows what a hypocrite JohnF is. He says on one occation servicing is an industry conspiracy and the need to change oil etc is unneseccary, then he then claims to "service" them himself, then he says the annual MOT is enough to highlight issues that need sorting.

Wish he'd make his mind up.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - 72 dudes

Lady came into the petrol station earlier in the week. Asked about which oil should go in her car.

Me: What car have you got?

Customer: A Golf

Me: Is it petrol or diesel?

Customer: Diesel

Me: What Year is it?

Customer: 2014

Me: And what size engine? (Thinking about teeth pulling for some reason)

Customer: 1.4

Me: 1.4? Are you sure?

Customer: It might be a 1.6.

Me: Yes, they didn't put the 1.4 diesel in the Golf in 2014

I give her the correct oil. (5W-30, VW507)

Customer: I thought I'd better get some as the oil light has been on for a while.

Me: H'mm!

I don't know which is worse, putting in the correct oil possibly too late or buying the wrong oil had I not been on duty (none of my other colleagues would know and would probably sold her oil for a 1.4 petrol)

My point is that many people, young and old, male and female think this way. "It's only a machine, what could go wrong?"

'My point is that many people, young and old, male and female think this way. "It's only a machine, what could go wrong?"'

I think it happens for several reasons.

One, cars do so much automatically that people who aren't mechanically-minded assume that in some way the car can fix itself if there's a problem.

Two, warning lights/messages are just another part of the general information overload that modern cars are part of. People just don't get to grips with what they're driving. How many actually RTFM? (I have some sympathy; the handbook for the CX-5 runs to over 530 pages - not all of which will be relevant to every model, of course.)

Three, modern cars tend to be able to take a lot of punishment without the non-expert driver being aware. Driving with one tyre half-deflated, oil light on, overheating etc will all eventually take their toll, but the insensitive driver just doesn't pick it up as soon as it happens. If the car broke down instantly it would get dealt with.

Edited by FP on 28/07/2017 at 16:08

<< It only shows what a hypocrite JohnF is. He says on one occation servicing is an industry conspiracy and the need to change oil etc is unneseccary, then he then claims to "service" them himself, then he says the annual MOT is enough to highlight issues that need sorting. >>

Please, Skidpan, think a little before slagging someone off with deliberately offensive language. JohnF may be inconsistent, but I don't see any 'feigning of beliefs, especially in a religious or moral context' as my dictionary defines it. Engage brain before hitting keyboard.

I may check oil every few thousand miles when I am cleaning the car or topping up the washers - although it never seems to use any.

While your engine may not seem to use any, it may be better to check the oil rather more often, in case it starts using some while you aren't looking ....

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Manatee

While your engine may not seem to use any, it may be better to check the oil rather more often, in case it starts using some while you aren't looking ....

Some models are known for this. Notably some VAG products with petrol turbo engines IIRC. Oil consumption can suddenly go up, and subsequently sometimes down, for no obvious reason.

but I don't see any 'feigning of beliefs, especially in a religious or moral context' as my dictionary defines it.

I did not say any of the above and I certainly did not mention religion so please explain what the fek you are talking about.

"but I don't see any 'feigning of beliefs, especially in a religious or moral context' as my dictionary defines it.

I did not say any of the above and I certainly did not mention religion so please explain what the fek you are talking about."

Don't be obtuse.

He's talking your use of the word hypocrite, as I'm sure you know.

Don't be obtuse.

I am sure he can explain himself what he mean't without you defending him.

Don't be obtuse.

I shouldn't need to. And you are being obtuse (that's not an offensive word).

I shouldn't need to. And you are being obtuse (that's not an offensive word).

Quite so. I now rarely respond to s'pan's illiterate reactions to his misinterpretations of what I actually post. e.g. I have never, ever, said that it is 'unneseccary' (sic) to change the oil. It's just often not necessary to change it every year or three.

My records show I changed my TR7's oil and filter in 1989 at 51,000m. Since then it has had four oil and filter changes at roughly 4000m intervals (I only do a few hundred a year now). At 70,000m it is about due for another change, but the oil is still oily and has required no top-up since last changed in 2013. Whatever HJ et al might say I think it would have been bonkers to have changed it nearly thirty times since 1989

Edited by John F on 28/07/2017 at 19:23

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Avant

Keep it polite, or this thread closes.

Keep it polite, or this thread closes.

How can you keep it polite with a poster who admits to

My records show I changed my TR7's oil and filter in 1989 at 51,000m. Since then it has had four oil and filter changes at roughly 4000m intervals

That means its had an oil change approx every 7 years.

There is only one word to describe a person who changes the oil approx every 7 years and is proud of the fact. Its starts with an I and end in T with the letters DIO in the middle.

Whatever HJ et al might say I think it would have been bonkers to have changed it nearly thirty times since 1989

I would guess that I have changed the oil in my Caterhams well over 28 times since 1989 when I put the first one on the road. In that 28 years I have covered about 50,000 miles.

If that means I am bonkers I am proud of the fact.

Edited by skidpan on 29/07/2017 at 18:12

"How can you keep it polite with a poster who admits to..."

You appear to be saying you are unable to keep your posts in this thread polite.

I suggest you are the one causing all the problems in this thread and seem unable to take the pretty strong hint that you should wind your neck in.

If the thread is closed or deleted I for one won't be sorry. It's degenerated into pointless bickering and repetitive exchanges.

I suggest you are the one causing all the problems in this thread

The person who caused the problems is the usual person who has a total disregard for sensible maintenace.

All I am doing is trying to stop him from making his stupid comments about using antifreeze instead of brake fluid etc.

But it seems that most are happy to let him continue offering his quality advice.

I am disapointed that Avant has not stepped in and deleted his dangerous advice like he has in the past.

Some years ago I was a member of a car club (international one with members on most if not all continents) when the magazine editor modified a technical article by a professional engineer with a piece of advice that could have been potentially life changing to anyone who tried it. The editors position was a nice one to get since it came with an annual bursary and other perks. He had to issue an immediate addendum to all member at his own expense and resign from his position and the comittee. To be honest the mag was never the same but no one died.

<< The person who caused the problems is the usual person who has a total disregard for sensible maintenace. All I am doing is trying to stop him from making his stupid comments about using antifreeze instead of brake fluid etc. >>

No, Skidpan, you are being daft again. You talk as if your preferences are the only correct ones, and anyone who thinks radically differently belongs low down on the IQ scale. You are entitled to think that I suppose, but much less entitled to express those opinions.

If you wish to stifle opinion on here, become a Mod. Otherwise leave it to Avant, who seems to be a most reasonable referee.

I think that newcomers to the forum who search for advice will realise straight away that John F's ideas on low maintenance are in a minority of one - a polite rebuttal of any crazy ideas expressed by anyone is the sensible way forward, and more likely to be taken notice of as well.

What a shame to read so many petty posts. I am not mechanical so rely on garages and insist our car is meticulously maintained. Probably spent more than essential but not prepared to take risks. That is right for me.I

Others may be competent to ensure their car is safe. That is right for them.

Forums should have a respectful exchange of views. If not there should be some missed playtimes.

What a shame to read so many petty posts. I am not mechanical so rely on garages and insist our car is meticulously maintained. Probably spent more than essential but not prepared to take risks. That is right for me.I

Others may be competent to ensure their car is safe. That is right for them.

Forums should have a respectful exchange of views. If not there should be some missed playtimes.

Where's the "like" button?

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Lrac

Going off at a bit of a tangent but I am always horrified when motoring programmes discover a barn find that has stood for many years and simply say lets see if it will start.

It fills me with horror as the engine is churned over and has the guts revved out of it.

Unless the engine is being scrapped I would at least pop off the head / heads and have a look at the bores and check out the oil pressure.

check out the oil pressure.

How can you do that unless you start it?

Simply disconnect the coil then crank it if you must.

All - Dangerous Attitudes - Bolt

Going off at a bit of a tangent but I am always horrified when motoring programmes discover a barn find that has stood for many years and simply say lets see if it will start.

It fills me with horror as the engine is churned over and has the guts revved out of it.

Unless the engine is being scrapped I would at least pop off the head / heads and have a look at the bores and check out the oil pressure.

I obviously dont see the same programs as you but I have never seen a barn find where they do that, they normaly check oil level and turn crank by socket one or two turns..unless its handle turn

Oh well never mind.

"I am disappointed that Avant has not stepped in and deleted his dangerous advice as he has in the past."

I did that when John suggested that it was OK to drive on tyres which were many years too old to be safe: I think that really is dangerous. He hasn't pushed that idea recently, but although I personally favour frequent oil changes and disagree with his views on this, there is great difference between abuse and neglect, which Raine Man rightly castigates in his OP, and John's careful maintenance of his 1980s TR7 and (if I remember right) high-mileage Audi A8 and Ford Focus.

One thing we can learn from John is that when he is roundly attacked, his replies are comparatively reasoned and courteous.

One thing I would say to you, John, is please be careful about giving advice on a public forum that works for you, precisely because you have some knowledge and look after your cars. Remember 'Arthur Punter' looking to economise on his ageing diesel Vauxhall and seizing on a cost-cutting tip which could be disastrous.

Edited by Avant on 30/07/2017 at 00:25

Fair comment Avant, up to a point. I think most visitors realise that this 'backroom' is just a discussion forum, not an official advice resource. I merely offer opinions, based on 50yrs of buying my own used cars, where value for money tops my list of desirables and thoughtful economical maintenance is my practice.

I am firmly on the side of the 'JAMs' for whom the annual MoT can induce stomach churning anxiety. They step into a different financial world of often outrageous service and repair bills which make a mockery of their daily efforts to economise.

My TR7 oil change regime is of course unusual but it serves to illustrate the absurdity of the dogma of annual oil changes in old basic low mileage cars (and the engine seems none the worse for it - indeed, it is probably almost as new with an oil change every 4000m!)

My TR7 oil change regime is of course unusual but it serves to illustrate the absurdity of the dogma of annual oil changes in old basic low mileage cars (and the engine seems none the worse for it - indeed, it is probably almost as new with an oil change every 4000m!)

To a certain degree I can understand your oil change thoughts. I was told by a lubrication specialist who works for one of the big brands that the time (12months) for oil changes is based on the number of thermal cycles of the oil (from ambient to engine working temp) so for someone like you who doesn't start the car everyday it might well be ok for 2 years or so.

If you maintain your car correctly the MOT should not throw up any surprises. If anyone is anxious them they can't be confident in the car.

Perhaps some people borrow too much to buy a car for a good image without appreciating running costs. Much comes from society pressures and I understand why people over stretch themselves. Sorry if this is too much of a digression but there are multiple factors in the situation.

One thing I would say to you, John, is please be careful about giving advice on a public forum that works for you, precisely because you have some knowledge and look after your cars. Remember 'Arthur Punter' looking to economise on his ageing diesel Vauxhall and seizing on a cost-cutting tip which could be disastrous.

Avant. Thanks for giving John a timely warning about him giving advice but I do not agree with your comment that he has "some knowledge and look after your cars.". Anyone who only changes the oil 4 times in 28 years clearly has no knowledge and 4 oil changes in 28 years is not looking after your car.

<< Anyone who only changes the oil 4 times in 28 years clearly has no knowledge and 4 oil changes in 28 years is not looking after your car. >>

We are all familiar with your thinking, Skidpan, but why must you go on insulting someone who clearly does have knowledge and does look after his car, but in a different way from the one you persist in ramming down our throats? As John's car seems to be running healthily despite his obvious neglect, it must follow that his maintenance methods are not doing much damage.

Nuff said.

When anyone comes on here looking to buy a car most of the regular knowledgeable posters tell then to walk away or even run if it has not had an annual oil change even if the car only does a low mileage

But it seems that is OK for one poster to advise people that his shedule of 4 chages in 28 years is perfectly OK.

Perhaps since you are such a supporter of John F you will be adopting his maintenance methods of 7 year oil chages, no cam belt changes, Bluecol instead of brake fluid (even though he insists changing brake fluid is not neccesary) and tyres that are over 20 years old.

If you do not support this maintenance schedule stop critisizing me and alert posters that at worst its potentially dangerous and at best downright stupid.

As for

As John's car seems to be running healthily despite his obvious neglect, it must follow that his maintenance methods are not doing much damage.

We only have John F's word for that, or perhaps the car does not even exist.

But its nice to see you accept his "obvious neglect".

All - Dangerous Attitudes - galileo

Regarding Bluecol for brake fluid, I believe the first use of hydraulic brakes on a racing car was on the 1914 Duesenbergs, the fluid was a mixture of water and glycerine. Same system on production Duesenbergs in the 1920s.

Regarding Bluecol for brake fluid, I believe the first use of hydraulic brakes on a racing car was on the 1914 Duesenbergs, the fluid was a mixture of water and glycerine. Same system on production Duesenbergs in the 1920s.

IIRC someone once used concentrated fruit juice in the hydraulic fluid reservoir to get them to a service area on an international rally.

Wouldn't fancy it myself, how on earth would you flush out all the stuff. Probably didn't bother the team.

"We only have John F's word for that, or perhaps the car does not even exist."

So now you're getting close to saying he's a liar.

By now we all understand you and JohnF don't agree. The whole thing is getting boringly repetitive.

I just wish you'd shut up.

<< Perhaps since you are such a supporter of John F you will be adopting his maintenance methods of 7 year oil changes, no cam belt changes, ... If you do not support this maintenance schedule stop critisizing me and alert posters that at worst its potentially dangerous and at best downright stupid. >>

You just don't get it. I'm not criticising your recommendations or John F's, they're simply poles apart and you are each happy with them. I am tired of your posts which are often borderline offensive, and needlessly so. Like FP, I realise I am wasting my time getting this message across, so I won't repeat it.

I've had enough. Aplogies to all the polite posters who had good points to make.