Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - FullSwing

Last week I had the message 'Engine Malfunction' come up on my dash, but the engine icon wasn't illuminated and the car drove fine.

Having called the AA they pinned it down to a faulty emissions additive tank level sensor, which he found was now working again, then cleared the message on the dash. He said it isn't an issue and there is plenty of additive in the tank.

A week later the message has reappeared and I can't get rid of it.

Any ideas how I clear it please?

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - RobJP

Sounds like the sensor is playing up - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Get the sensor replaced if that is the case.

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - skidpan

I know it might appear to be a daft idea but have you thought of going to a garage, preferably a Ford one where they will have the correct kit.

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - RT

I know it might appear to be a daft idea but have you thought of going to a garage, preferably a Ford one where they will have the correct kit.

Emissions additive level sensors aren't simple float switches - they can get contaminated if the emissions additive gets contaminated.

A Ford dealer will likely suggest decontaminating the tank, replacing the sensor and refilling with new additive - likely to be very expensive but I can't offer a better solution.

A skew-ball idea maybe - but a 2008 Ford using "emissions additive" is presumably using PSA's Eolys system - has it had the very different Adblue emissions additive used for a top-up?

Edited by RT on 05/07/2017 at 13:51

I haven't got a clue. A Ford Garage replaced the fluid a few years ago.

I just don't fancy a huge bill for something which is only an annoyance.

The last few times I've used a Ford garage they have charged the earth for seemingly routine issues.

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - skidpan

I haven't got a clue. A Ford Garage replaced the fluid a few years ago

The Eolys does not last forever. Everytime you buy diesel Eolys is injected into the tank. Eventually you need to fill up the tank again.

If you only put small amounts of fuel in each time the tank will empty quicker.

And when its empty a warning comes up on the dash.

When we had a Focus last we were lucky because it did not use Eolys. When we replaced it I checked what Fords schedule was and they told me a refil was required every 37500 miles and a replacement DPF at 75000 miles.

Despite the perfect service the Focus had given us we ran away and bought a Kia.

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - Railroad.

These kind of problems aren't going to go away on modern diesels. Unless you're doing proper mileage, and not short round the town trips, the best advice anyone can give you is dump your diesel car in favour of a petrol model.

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - Gibbo_Wirral

Speaking of Eloys, I can't confirm if any of this is in place on Fords, but Peugeots rely on a number of components present and working before it will regenerate - cooling fan, glow plugs and relays, the fuel cap sensors.

Not to mention a working tank and electrical components. On Peugeot's they're in the rear wheel arch and can be susceptible to dirt and water ingress over years - especially if the wheel arch liner is cracked or missing, and a service inspection item so many people overlook in general maintainance.

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - 3uga

I recomend taking the care to the nearest ford service. Once error message comes one you might be faced with continious dpf regen. and a soon to be dead turbo.
I've heard that sometimes Engine malfunction doesen't go away due to other problems that do not show up on some testers like Glow plugs .

Ford Focus 2008 - Engine Malfunction message just won't go away - S40 Man

Do you have a laptop. If so a Forscan OBDReader may be a good investment. Available on online markEt storEs ft or about £15-20

This will let you check what the problem is. If you do this every week or so you can check for any new codes (warning light). You'll probably be able to reset the light also, if AA man did this it could work for you too.