HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - gramar

I’m thinking of buying a Humax HDR-1800T Freeview + HD Recorder to replace a faulty 9 year old Panasonic DMR-EX79 DVD Recorder that's beyond economical repair.

The Humax is popular, universally available and relatively cheap. However, I’m reading mixed consumer reviews about it's quality and reliability and wondered what experiences contributors to HJ can share about this model or would you recommend something else instead.

I’m not interested in linking this device to my computer, just to the TV set.

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - Vitesse6

I have had a Humax satellite hard disk recorder for over 8 years. It has always worked well. The remote control leaves a lot to be desired though as the buttons are failing. This was echoed in the reviews I read when looking for a digital tv recorder.

In the end I bought a Bush from Argos. Also quite cheap and out performs the Sony I bought it to replace.

320Gb is a bit small though, I would get the biggest you can.

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - FiestaOwner

I've had a Humax HDR-2000T Freeview+ HD recorder. It was a very good bit of kit and would highly recommend it. The only issue I had was some of the buttons on the remote became difficult to work (over time). Humax supplied me with a replacement remote without charge.

I've now replaced the HDR-2000T with a BT branded YouView+ Smart HD recorder (this box is also made by Humax). The reason I bought this one was to access the catchup services using the ethernet connection. Prefer this box over the Freeview+ boxes.

Both boxes are very easy to work

Link to BT YouView Box I have: https://www.johnlewis.com/bt-youview-smart-500gb-freeview-hd-digital-tv-recorder/p1339313

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - bathtub tom

My old Humax expired after a couple of years. It went to someone who replaced the hard drive and got it going again.

I've had my current Humax another couple of years and am aready experiencing what appears to be hard drive problems!

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - gramar

I've had a Humax HDR-2000T Freeview+ HD recorder. It was a very good bit of kit and would highly recommend it. The only issue I had was some of the buttons on the remote became difficult to work (over time). Humax supplied me with a replacement remote without charge.

I've now replaced the HDR-2000T with a BT branded YouView+ Smart HD recorder (this box is also made by Humax). The reason I bought this one was to access the catchup services using the ethernet connection. Prefer this box over the Freeview+ boxes.

Both boxes are very easy to work

Link to BT YouView Box I have: https://www.johnlewis.com/bt-youview-smart-500gb-freeview-hd-digital-tv-recorder/p1339313

Thanks for your input FiestaOwner I too am considering a BT branded YouView+ Smart HD recorder over the Humax. It has a larger storage capicity (500GB) and is 10% cheaper than the Humax on Amazon.

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - Engineer Andy

Like FiestaOwner, I too have a HDR-2000T, the only differences to the 1800 being that it has a 500GB (a few can have a 1TB one, rare though) hard disk rather than the 350GB one on the 1800, and it also has a USB 2 port if you want to upload video or photos for storage (which I used, though just to see if it worked).

The unit is simple enough to use, especially compared to Panasonic's freeview PVRs. For an in-depth review, have a look on Amazon at my review (same username) from about this time last year (I also reviewed the Panasonic all-in-one that I was thinking of buying at the time).

I found it best to buy the Humax unit in Richer Sounds, especially if you're a 'VIP member' (free - you just get one or two emails a week [you often get discounts, such as £10 off if you spend £100 etc, which you can stop easily and still be a member), as they are at least as cheap as Amazon, you have a shop to take items back if they go wrong, AND you can get a 6-year warranty with them for 10% of the product price. I bought mine with the £10 discount for £139 (at the time, now £10 more expensive, but still only £20 more than the 1800) plus £13.90 for the warranty. Note that VIP Club members (like I did) can book a 'test drive' of equipment at the shop, sometimes even outside normal opening hours.

In case you do consider buying either one there, note that Richer Sounds don't offer a replacement main unit for faulty ones without you paying a deposit for the full price (you get it back once the original is repaired) - they only give away free loan replacements whilst the originals are repaired for expensive items such as HiFis and large screen TVs. Still, £14 for a 6 year warranty (5 more than the manufacturers) is very good, better than the 2 year version (free) at John Lewis. Read the details on their website/ask in store for more.

Note I am not an employee of Richer Sounds or have any connection to them, other than a very satisfied customer for many years.

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - daveyjp

We upgraded our old Humax Freesat box to a newer model with streaming services about 3 years ago - also purchased form Richer sounds No major problems to date.

Like all IT it sometimes needs a reboot, for example it will very rarely lose the on screen programme info, programme guides etc, but it has never failed to record or play back anything we have recorded.

HUMAX HDR-1800T Freeview+ HD Recorder - FoxyJukebox

We have the Freesat version which operates just fine. Be aware though that there are very few catch up apps on Humax and the BBC Iplayer app often crashes. Bought an Amazon Fire Stick to complement set up--which works a treat with at least 30 useful apps--and guess what -their BBC Iplayer app never crashes!

Another point-the Humax Community site is a dog to navigate if you are looking for informal technical support through others experiences. -Also the on line Humax apps store does not work at all indeed it seems to have closed-but what the heck!