Vauxhall Astra J - Clutch advice - rich75

Hi

appreciate any advice.. I seem to have an intermittent clutch problem. Several times when driving and changing gear it feels like the clutch pedal does not come all the way up. If I kick it or lift it with my foot it returns to the normal position but when pushing it down again it feels like there is no pressure behind it until it is half way down or worst case pretty much on the floor. I've checked and can not find any leaks. I topped up the fluid and it has not noticeably dropped. Also on a couple of occasions getting into the car I've found the clutch pedal on the floor, it has sank down by itself.

As I say this is intermittent. There feels to be no slip on the clutch and most days it works fine. The car is a 2011 astra 1.7cdti (47.5k on the clock)

Thanks

Vauxhall Astra J - Clutch advice - SLO76
It's possibly the master cylinder but more likely the slave cylinder. Not that common especially at this mileage but not unheard of on these and a fairly cheap part but a bit of pig to fit (listed as 5hrs) since it's inside the bell housing. You'll need to take it to a garage to be sure, it's possible that it's cable/self adjuster related also but I'd wager slave cylinder.
Vauxhall Astra J - Clutch advice - rich75

Thanks. Do you reckon those parts would be covered on a vehicle warranty? I bought the car new with an extended warranty. I have a huge distrust of dealerships as every problem I've had which would seem to be warranty related has ended up costing me.

Thanks

Vauxhall Astra J - Clutch advice - SLO76
They often try to fob you off with clutch related issues by stating that it's a wear and tear item. This is true enough for the clutch itself but not the master or slave cylinders which should be covered by any decent warranty especially a manufacturer backed guarantee. I'd expect you to be covered but they may suggest fitting a new clutch while they're in there but it should be fine as long as you're not hard on it.