Dacia or not - Which Car - thesoupdragon

Hi all

I am seeking views as I am looking to buy an estate car. Basically I have been offered a Dacia Logan top spec laureate 20K on the clcok 15 months warranty left for £8K. For £8K I can get an astra estate one year older with around 35K on clock. I will be plugging mainly motorway miles 15K ish a year and am tempted by the Dacia but not sure if thats a mistake

All views appreciated

SD

Dacia or not - Which Car - SLO76
I like Dacias no nonsense simplicity. The Logan is basically a previous gen Renault Clio underneath and the 1.5 dci diesel is tried, tested and generally well liked by the trade. There's certainly loads of high mileage Mk II/III Clio 1.5 dci commuters around with 150k plus mileages to support its credentials. Look after it and change the timing belt, tensioner and water pump on schedule and there's no reason why it won't hit 200k.

However, it is built down to a price and while the ride quality is good noise insulation and trim quality isn't quite up to the standards of other cars you might opt for such as the Astra which will be a more comfortable, quieter and safer companion on higher speed motorway journeys. Avoid the Fiat 1.3 and 2.0 diesels and stick with the Isuzu 1.7 diesel and again service it regularly and you should see 200k.

I don't think you'll go far wrong with either option but the Dacia will still have a fair chunk of manufacturer warranty left while the Astra is a bit more of a risk. The comfort, refinement and added quality of the Vauxhall would probably sway me considering your high annual mileage though.
Dacia or not - Which Car - nellyjak

Can understand Dacia temptation....and worthy of consideration particularly if you are going to be keeping it for a while.?

As has been said...the price level is there for a reason and yes, you'll buy "cheap"...but you will also sell cheap when the time comes.

Dacia or not - Which Car - CAndyH

I've been going through a similar process,looking for a replacement for my 2013 Focus 1.0 estate. Like you, I like the Dacia for its sheer value for money and no-nonsense approach. There are also some very affordable finance deals. If you're just after a set of wheels with no ego, I think they're hard to beat.

On the other hand, such as you describe, you can get a slightly older car that is theoretically 'better' in most respects, for the same money. I'm probably going to go the latter route, mainly because I think I'll be getting a better quality vehicle in the long run.

Dacia or not - Which Car - badbusdriver

The only thing, which actually matters, to make one car 'better' than another, is safety. And the Euro ncap website is easy enough to find. If the safety of the logan is on a par with previous generation astra/focus/whatever, then what you are really buying is a badge. There is the problem as British buyers are incredibly vain when it comes to cars. So while they may look at, and think about a Dacia, actually putting on each on your driveway and potentially having to endure the mirth and jibes of friends /family /work colleagues in their German SUV's is a different proposition!.

If you are looking at a small estate car, that means you need a small car with a big boot, and for that purpose, the logan is the best car, period. It's boot is as big, if not bigger than astra/focus estates, but it is a physically smaller car and much narrower. The interior plastics may be hard and shiny compared to a golf, but that shouldn't really matter. That it is going to last, and that the car itself will be reliable does matter.

Dacia or not - Which Car - johnnyrev
We've had a Logan for just over a year now and can thoroughly recommend. We haven't done loads of motorway miles, but it's quiet and comfy at 80, and does high 40's mpg at that speed (it's the 0.9l petrol).

The interior plastic isn't as good as some other cars, but are showing no sign of falling apart (unlike a 2010 Doblo we had). The steering wheel and gear knob are leather, and the sat nav and stereo are very good. The seats are nice and soft and comfy and there's loads of room!

We considered a Toyota Auris hybrid estate (my wife has a Yaris Hybrid), but this was more than twice the price of the Logan! We still can't quite believe it is the price it is- we paid £9.5k new.
Dacia or not - Which Car - Avant

As you do 15,000 miles a year, a big advantage of the Dacia option is that you get more time under manufacturer's warranty. If Dacia have cut corners to sell at low prices, they are likely to be in the ares of trim and equipment, not the oily bits that actually matter.

And an indirect advantage is that Johnnyrev saved enough money by choosing a Dacia to buy and maintain a secondhand MX-5 as a fun car.

Dacia or not - Which Car - daveyK_UK
I would go for the Logan MCV

The private taxi trade near were Iive are fans of the car.

Dacia or not - Which Car - gordonbennet

That Astra estate have the dubious benefit of an electric parking brake?

As above, i'd be quite happy in the Logan, doubly so if it caused some anguish with fiends colleagues etc, happy to talk cost comparison with their PCP'd SUV clone, and resume the costs chat in three years time when they get the next one and still shelling out £300+ a month.

"That Astra estate have the dubious benefit of an electric parking brake?"

Only the current Elite has that pointless electronic parking brake, the rest as far as I've noticed do not and I've never seen any previous Astra J cars with it which is the model we'd be talking about at this money.

Note spec and pics of handbrake. I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170601601...1

Edited by SLO76 on 22/06/2017 at 21:02

Dacia or not - Which Car - gordonbennet

Thanks, i thought the shape involved did have an EPB, much obliged for putting that right.

Dacia or not - Which Car - phil_z70

You could buy a brand new one in a lower spec Ambiance SCe 75 in white for approx £700 more

The spec on the ambiance was recently improved to add air conditioning / DAB radio maybe a few other things

Probably very underpowered, but might be worth considering, new with 3 years warranty

I think they are currently offering a 5 year warranty on new dacias

Dacia or not - Which Car - phil_z70

Looks like it could be 5 years / 60k depends on terms

Could be worth looking into or maybe a test drive if you can find one with the appropriate engine in it

So looks like we are down to a choice of 2 cars, the aforementioned MCV 2015 and a 2014 Seat Leon estate 1.6 automatic with 30K on the clock at £8750

Just looking at photos of the Seat and wondering if 3 people can sit in teh back due to the big square ridge in the middle of the floor other wise the Seat looks like a decent car

Forget the Leon unless you're willing to go for a post 2016 diesel or a TSi petrol and forget the DSG auto which can be a costly nightmare. A manual 1.4 TSi SE or FR is a cracking car though and much nicer to pilot than the Dacia.

I thought these German DSG's were suppsoed to be great

Cheers

They're great in that they don't sap power and economy in the way that torque-converters do (or used to - they're more efficient than they were); but there are too many tales of woe of them being unreliable at high mileages.

The problems seem to be more frequent with the dry-clutch version, which is mostly fitted to the smaller cars. Has anyone out there got experience of a wet-clutch DSG which has given good service over a high mileage?

Dacia or not - Which Car - carl233

Whilst the early major rust issues on the Duster seem to be a thing of the past, there still seems to be owners reporting minor issues with rust on various models. Model's include the Sandero and the Sandero Stepway. Have the rust issues really beeen totally left behind?

I thought these German DSG's were suppsoed to be great

Cheers

Great when new but notoriously troublesome later in life and hugely costly to fix. Best avoided unless you're buying new and offloading before the manufacturer warranty is up.

OK all food for thought and i am still in a bit of a quandary

I have 8K to spend nd am hoping to gt 5 years motoring for it. I have been offered a 2015 MCV 1.5dci laureate with 20K on clcok for 8K with 15 months warranty left.

or 5K I can get a 2009 petrol Toyota Avensis estate with 60K on clock which would leave me 3K for contingencies.

I have no expereince of the dacia but have had petrol Toyotas previously

Edited by thesoupdragon on 04/07/2017 at 09:51

I'd personally take the big Toyota assuming it has a full service history and is in good order. It'll still be running sweet in 15yrs if you look after it.

I agree but alos found a 2015 auris 1.33vvti 3 years balance of Toyota warranty at 8K; my budget now that sounds like a very good deal indeed

I agree but alos found a 2015 auris 1.33vvti 3 years balance of Toyota warranty at 8K; my budget now that sounds like a very good deal indeed

Yup, another good straightforward motor that'll run and run. Better on fuel than the Avensis and 3yrs of Toyota warranty assuming it has a full Toyota service history. The warranty is effectively invalid if it hasn't.

OK update bought a Totota Auris estate with 45K 2015 model nice car. The dealer( well reputed) gave me a printout of the service history with mileages etc from Kwikfit and Halfords. I was sold the car with the remainder of the 5 year 100K warranty as part of the deal. I asked if this was valid and he said of course no issue! When I look in the service booklet there are no service stamps it is totally empty. My question is of course is the Toyota 5year 100K warranty still in force?

I personally wouldn't have accepted the car without that question being answered. If you have evidence that the deal included the remainder of the warranty, then you'll have the right to reject the car if the warranty isn't valid.

The blank service book may not matter if the services have been recorded in Toyota's system: I don't know whether that happens with Kwikfit and Halfords servicing, but it shouldn't be difficult to find out.

Common question and a typical lying salesmans answer. Unfortunately without a full Toyota service history the warranty is invalid. It is a complete false economy to service a car outside the dealer network while it's still under the manufacturer warranty.

If it's been serviced elsewhere you need to be able to prove that it has been serviced exactly in accordance with Toyota's own service schedule, using Toyota parts only which is next to impossible.

You should approach the dealer again and ask for a proper guarantee and if they refuse then tell them you'll be speaking to the trading standards as they've sold you goods under false pretence.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/07/2017 at 07:09

Dacia or not - Which Car - alan1302
Unfortunately without a full Toyota service history the warranty is invalid.

That's not true - EU rules allow for a car to be serviced at any VAT registered garage as long as the garage does what Toyota would have done in the service and OEM parts are used.

"That's not true - EU rules allow for a car to be serviced at any VAT registered garage as long as the garage does what Toyota would have done in the service and OEM parts are used."

With nearly 20yrs experience in the trade I can assure you this is actually true. The way manufacturers get round the highly unrealistic legislation is by requiring you to prove the vehicle was serviced according to their guidelines which unless your garage has followed their schedule to the letter and that includes any technical bulletins, recalls or updates then they will in almost every case reject a warranty claim. They'll fight you all the way without a dealer history in 99 out of 100 cases.

Cars are highly complex pieces of equipment and you can't expect anyone to pay out without proof that the vehicle has been properly maintained. Our service staff had to go on regular training courses to keep up to date with current technology and new models. Dodgy Joes backstreet workshop and Quack Fit have neither the equipment or the expertise to maintain many of the complex modern cars on our roads today. Why should a warranty claim be honoured in such cases?

I know plenty of folk in this trade and the majority of small independent garages bulk buy oil and every motor that comes through the door gets the same thing poured in. This is what kills thousands of motors every year as modern engines are highly oil specific, put the wrong thing in and you'll cause major issues very quickly.

I sold for a large Mitsubishi dealership and still have contacts locally, particularly with the Kia dealer and know of plenty of times both refused warranty claims because of the abscence of a dealer history.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/07/2017 at 21:45

Dacia or not - Which Car - andyp

OK update bought a Totota Auris estate with 45K 2015 model nice car. The dealer( well reputed) gave me a printout of the service history with mileages etc from Kwikfit and Halfords. I was sold the car with the remainder of the 5 year 100K warranty as part of the deal. I asked if this was valid and he said of course no issue! When I look in the service booklet there are no service stamps it is totally empty. My question is of course is the Toyota 5year 100K warranty still in force?

Where was this print out of the service history from ? Is it just something that the dealer has drawn up as i can't imagine that services from Kwikfit and Halfords would be on Toyota's system. Without proper invoices to back up the services showing what was carried out and the part numbers of the items replaced to show that they were either genuine Toyota or at least made to OE standards your Toyota warrenty is almost definately void and even with them you might have issues and will definately not qualify for any good will. If you haven't already parted with your money I would advise not going ahead or if you are past the point of no return then you had better hope that your new car lives up to Toyota's reputation for reliability !

Edited by andyp on 14/07/2017 at 09:17

The guy from the garge has now emailed me to say that if there is a problem with the car in the next 3 years if i return it to them they will deal with it if Toyota wont play ball. He said he called his local Toyota garage on ym behalf and they said no problem. I have just phoned my local Toyota garage and they were less helpful.

The guy from the garge has now emailed me to say that if there is a problem with the car in the next 3 years if i return it to them they will deal with it if Toyota wont play ball. He said he called his local Toyota garage on ym behalf and they said no problem. I have just phoned my local Toyota garage and they were less helpful.

He's lying to you, he didn't call the local Toyota dealer and they certainly didn't tell him it would be "no problem". You must get a proper warranty from them in writing. Toyota won't honour the origional warranty if it doesn't have a full dealer history. The dealer is trying to wriggle out of paying for a warranty. At the very least you need written proof from the dealer owner/director that they will honour the terms of Toyota's warranty as they sold it to you with the remainder of said cover as part of the deal and even at that a lot of these small time operators bust themselves and change trading names on a regular basis (even if the sign above the door doesn't change) to worm out of legal obligations both to staff and customers. One local dealer near me has operated under 4 different trading names in the last ten years with their own warranties no longer valid under the previous now bankrupt names. He's relying on the car living up to typical Toyota reliability which to be fair it most likely will, he's good odds it'll never come back for anything.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/07/2017 at 21:32

The garage has been trading in the same small townn centre for 40 years and has about 80 cars on stock. I am going to talk to the toyota garage he says he talked with then maybe a call to trading standards is in order.

The garage has been trading in the same small townn centre for 40 years and has about 80 cars on stock. I am going to talk to the toyota garage he says he talked with then maybe a call to trading standards is in order.

Good idea and let us know how you got on. Remember, whatever happens regarding the warranty you need it in writing no matter what you're told over the phone.

Have an email saying they will deal with it if there is a problem, does an email count?

Have an email saying they will deal with it if there is a problem, does an email count?

Not enough. It's all too easy for them to turn round later on and say that it was unauthorised by management. It's perfectly normal sadly for salestaff to tell you anything to get a deal and to keep you off their back afterward. Ask for a signed letter from the owner or director themself. Salesstaff move on regularly so it's unlikely you'd even find the guy who sent the email in 6mths or a year. If it turns out they've lied about contacting the Toyota dealer (and I strongly suspect they have) then you need an insurance backed independent warranty from them for the remaining term that was on that Toyota warranty they sold the car with. If they refuse then I'd suggest you'll be contacting the trading standards and local press, this is usually enough to force a rethink especially since covering a late model petrol Toyota like this won't be fortunes anyway. Watch also that the claims limit on any warranty they offer is to the value of the car or at least £5,000. Some are as low as £300 per claim any won't look at any major repairs.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/07/2017 at 22:08

OK the guy who emailed me is a director and comany secretary and founded the garage in 1977.

Heres what they wrote

Sorry to hear your warranty is not valid at your local dealer. We have clarified with our dealers, Fish Bros in Swindon, that as the vehicle has 4 documented services, it has a Toyota 5 year/100,000 miles warranty, valid nationally.

Perhaps after you have had it serviced with your local dealer, they may be more helpful, but if you have any issues, we will arrange to have it dealt with at our local dealer.

Edited by thesoupdragon on 17/07/2017 at 22:12

OK the guy who emailed me is a director and comany secretary and founded the garage in 1977.

Again get it in writing not just email and signed by them. He should be happy to do it. But I'd still be calling the Toyota dealer to see if he's called. If not then I'd want a proper warranty and it'll tell you exactly how honest they are. I've seen plenty of cases of manufacturer warranty claims being rejected because of incomplete or non-franchise service records but it'll be interesting to hear what a Toyota service manager has to say about it regarding their cars, though I doubt they'll be any more lenient than others. Good luck!

Edited by SLO76 on 17/07/2017 at 22:18

Dacia or not - Which Car - joegrundy

SLO76: " a lot of these small time operators bust themselves and change trading names on a regular basis (even if the sign above the door doesn't change) to worm out of legal obligations both to staff and customers. One local dealer near me has operated under 4 different trading names in the last ten years with their own warranties no longer valid under the previous now bankrupt names."

This is an excellent point and one which bears repeating. Any warranty/promise/guarantee is only worth as much as the person/company/organisation issuing it.

In my previous life (Old Bill, but more particularly as Fraud Squad DI) I came across this time and time again. XYZ 2001 Ltd t/a Trust Us Car Sales goes bust, leaving creditors high and dry. Next day XYZ 2002 Ltd trading under the same name takes over, no legal responsibility for previous debts/obligations. In the trade (fraud, not motor) they're known as 'phoenix' companies - one rises from the ashes of the other. Some of this is legal, some not quite so much, but no-one investigates or follows up. Most of these companies have issued share capital of £2, own no assets, etc. Checks with Companies House are easy to do on-line nowadays, but generally returns have not been filed or are a bit misleading.

There is a reason why banks and other lenders seek personal guarantees from directors of private companies - in other words why they seek a charge on directors' personal assets (house, etc.). They know the score. And yet so many members of the public have greater confidence in XYZ 2002 Ltd rather than Bill Smith, a sole trader.

Rant over. I hope that there isn't an XYZ whatever Ltd or Bill Smith. Nothing intended.

Dacia or not - Which Car - EddieB

Iv'e had my 2015 MCV from new ,not a bit of trouble.Loads of room great mpg.\and best of all

no road tax.I;d go for the Dacia

Now you know who the Toyota dealer is, it should be easy to clarify. Either Fish Bros have the services recorded on their system or they don't. 4 services sounds right - one every 10,000 miles is usual for Toyotas - or was when my daughter had them.

"OK the guy who emailed me is a director and comany secretary and founded the garage in 1977.

Heres what they wrote

Sorry to hear your warranty is not valid at your local dealer. We have clarified with our dealers, Fish Bros in Swindon, that as the vehicle has 4 documented services, it has a Toyota 5 year/100,000 miles warranty, valid nationally.

Perhaps after you have had it serviced with your local dealer, they may be more helpful, but if you have any issues, we will arrange to have it dealt with at our local dealer."

Further thoughts on this:

Your local main dealer is saying that (presumably based on Toyota main computer records) the warranty is invalid. Presumably any other main Toyots dealer will consult the same records and come to the same conclusion. (Worth checking?)

If that is the case, the national Toyota warranty is invalid and no matter what sort of relationship the seller has with Fish Bros the sale was misrepresented. Up to you what you do next - but I know what I'd do.

(I note that your seller is not disputing that the warranty is not valid at a main dealer - and what do they mean by 'our dealers'? . Perhaps I'm just being cynical.)

Another further thought: why not e-mail Toyota customer services UK (or whatever they're called), give them the VRN and VIN, and ask them whether according to their records it's still covered by the warranty? Nothing to lose.