Peugeot 308 SW 2000 - Clutch Problems Peugeot 308 - Alex Kyriacos

My seven year old 308SW diesel has about 50000 miles on the clock, is well looked after and in good condition. There is one issue that is starting to worry me. When I change gear, the clutch behaves normally but on the way up, after the gear change, it will sometimes momentarily stick and then pop up by itself. It started doing this a few months back every now and then but now it happens a lot more. There are no strange noises coming from the clutch as far as I can hear. I have tested it and it sometimes - but more rarely - happens in neutral or when the car is in gear but the engine is not on. The bite point is still high up and gear changes smooth. The Peugeot garage seem to think that it is some dirt on the rod that is causing friction and have treated the problem with some goos old WD40, which seems to have helped but not eradicated the problem. I would be calmer but a couple of months back, in some inclement weather in the countryside, the car was pushed to its limits in order to get us out of a very sticky situation. Despite this, neither I, nor the garage seem to think it was sufficient to break a clutch.

To cut things short, has anybody got any ideas? Clutch? Slave? Dirt on the rods? Something else? Any advice?

Thanks

Edited by Alex Kyriacos on 08/06/2017 at 14:17

Peugeot 308 SW 2000 - Clutch Problems Peugeot 308 - hardway

Assuming manual?

there's a bush that the release bearing runs on.

It's bolted to the box inside the bell housing.

Wear is so common I never do a clutch without renewing this "Guide bush",

part number 210535,

At least this is the part number for say a 2.0 D using a BA box.

Bad news is the gearbox has to come out to replace this bush,

So that's around 5 hours labour.

Firstly, thank you for taking time to reply. Secondly, assuming it's this, is it dangerous to keep driving or is it just inconvenient? Can I just keep going till it's impossible to put up with any more?

Well the last one I did the release bearing actually started cutting into the spring fingers of the clutch and as a result the box was an absolute b**** to come off.

and my little 6 hour job time doubled!

I am shocked Peugeot didn't suggest the guide bush wear.

They're well aware of it round here,

So much so they sell a 3 piece clutch kit + bush.

the "bush" is what I'd call a sleeve that surrounds the input shaft so the release bearing sildes up and down this sleeve before it contacts the spinning clutch pressure plate.

It just gets worse to the point of locking on the worn sleeve,

'course at that point it'll feel like the pedal's locked.

And the only way to be sure of my diagnosis is take the gearbox out.

Thanks so much again. At least you've managed to put my mind at rest despite the obvious cost of dropping the gearbox etc. Suppose with the quantity of hours of work it'd be worth taking a good look and changing as many things as possible as the parts are not that expensive. That's the biggest problem with Peugeots, you have to take out the engine and gearbox to do any major work.

Peugeot 308 SW 2000 - Clutch Problems Peugeot 308 - E_Raven

I have almost exactly the same problem. 308 1.6 Hdi FAP. I too think that it started when I had to use first gear to get up a precarious moountain path that had been destroyed by rain and I may have overworked the clutch. Now it sticks momentarily on the way up, after the geat change and after the car is in gear. I'm wondering if I have destroyed the master cylinder.

Peugeot 308 SW 2000 - Clutch Problems Peugeot 308 - cocorico

I have Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6HDi and have experienced the similar issue.

Mine was, faulty Master Cylinder.

When I called the dealer, they knew what’s wrong with my car/clutch without seeing it. They’ve ordered the parts and replaced it under warranty.

That was 1 year ago. The same issue again last month and, again the same parts replaced under warranty(extended).

It seems it’s very common issue.

(They quoted something like £230 for parts & labour.)

Peugeot 308 SW 2000 - Clutch Problems Peugeot 308 - E_Raven

I can guarantee that on a Peugeot it will cost more. Is it not likely that if you are experiencing the same fault again so quickly that the problem lies elsewhere? If I replace one thing I will get everything done at the same time as the hours to take out engine and gearbox make it worthwhile.

No the gearbox usually comes out on it's own.

I'd be more accurate with an hours time if I knew engine size/fuel type and gear numbers,

ie 5 or 6 speed. and what year.

I thought I'd update this as it's quite interesting. All those months back, Peugeot told me that dirt must have entered the sleeve behind the pedal causing friction and told me to just drive it as normal. They said they could repair it but as it wasn't actually broken it wasn't worth it. 19 months on, I've added 40,000 miles, been to France a couple of times and not had any problems apart from a sticking clutch pedal every now and then. I am lucky that my dealership has always been so honest I suppose.