Taxing someone else's car - glidermania

Wonder if anyone knows the answer, cant find anything on Yougov.

My son and his partner have gone on holiday and will not be back in the UK until early Tuesday morning. His partner forgot to tax her year old car (no MOT needed) before they left. She will need to drive the 'untaxed' car to work around 9.00am on the Tuesday they get back.

The car is insured and does not need an MOT. I can get the VED renewal notice from their house. If I have this, can I log onto the Yougov site, enter the 13 digit V11 reference number and pay the tax on her behalf (she could pay me back!)?

Im not sure if the Yougov renewal site allows a transaction from abroad if they do try it over the net.

Taxing someone else's car - Manatee

I can't see any reason why you can't tax it if the checks are in order (they are done automatically). You need either the number from the renewal reminder or the 11 digit number from the V5. Plus the money of course.

Taxing someone else's car - daveyjp
No problem whatsoever. They just want the money!
Taxing someone else's car - glidermania

That's my thinking also. If they cant renew from abroad, I'll have a go with the relevant info and see if it let's me. Thanks.

Taxing someone else's car - Bromptonaut

Services that lock out foreign IP addresses normally do so for reasons of regulation, revenue or intellectual property. Don't see any of that applying to DVLA renewal site.

Taxing someone else's car - Doc

The car is insured and does not need an MOT. I can get the VED renewal notice from their house. If I have this, can I log onto the Yougov site, enter the 13 digit V11 reference number and pay the tax on her behalf (she could pay me back!)?

Or go to a main Post Office.

Taxing someone else's car - Manatee

Yougov is something unrelated.

You need

www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

Taxing someone else's car - MazdaManOrNot

I think the post office takes a while to add your car to the database doesn't it? you don't want to get caught by one of those anpr cameras. I'd just do it online, which I did a few weeks ago and even says you're allowed to drive it once complete. I took a screenshot of that page just in case. I also used my girlfriends card to pay so I don't think you wil ave a problem.

Edited by MazdaManOrNot on 03/06/2017 at 14:51

Taxing someone else's car - KenMavor

I do my wife's car, online, and need nothing as it's on a direct debit renewal.

Suggest first time you do it online you may need the renewal number from the licence renewal document but as note previously they just want your money.