Ford Fiesta - 1.0 EcoBoost Exempt From The Congestion Charge - RaineMan

Lookjing at an orginal road test the Fiesta with this engine it was stated to be both road tax and congestion charge exempt. My unsderstanding is that the only cars that are congestion charge exemptnow are hybrids and electric cars with no all hybrids meetig the limit. Is this correct?

Ford Fiesta - 1.0 EcoBoost Exempt From The Congestion Charge - RobJP

The congestion charge exemptions were revised last year. If the road test was carried out prior to that, then it may not be up-to-date.

The official TfL website has the details of what is currently exempt, and says :

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discoun...3

Cars or vans (not exceeding 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight) which emit 75g/km or less of CO2 and that meet the Euro 5 standard for air quality qualify for a 100% discount on the Congestion Charge.

You can check the CO2 emissions of your car on the V5C registration document. Any car registered as new with the DVLA on or after 1 January 2011 is deemed to meet the Euro 5 standard.

Some cars registered before this date will also meet the Euro 5 standard. Vans should be registered as new on or after 1 January 2012 to meet the Euro 5 standard.

Ford Fiesta - 1.0 EcoBoost Exempt From The Congestion Charge - frankly

Blimey, just did a search and it appears you have a job to do;

see,

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discoun...s

www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-for-low...s

carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

apologies if you know this already.

Ford Fiesta - 1.0 EcoBoost Exempt From The Congestion Charge - Ethan Edwards

Disingenuous isnt it. They make it nigh on impossible to find a totally exempt vehicle and claim the exemption.

And when manufacturers met their standard they realised how much money they'd lose and so changed the rules.

Besides even electric vehicles still take up 30feet of road space and add to congestion.

It's all such hypocrisy.

Ford Fiesta - 1.0 EcoBoost Exempt From The Congestion Charge - Firmbutfair

I quite agree with your sentiments, EE. I fear that the traffic congestion on all our roads may get a lot worse as the number of pure electric cars and other totally battery dependent vehicles may well increase significantly in the next few years!

It occurs to me that congestion will get far worse for us all when droves of EV drivers smugly rock up to our major city centres (paying zero congestion charge and zero VED) only to find that the traffic is almost at a standstill because of all the other EVs just up ahead that have come to an embarrasing halt with flat batteries and await the AA/RAC/Greenflag to come and tow them away!

I understand that the latest TfL buses employ hybrid technology to avoid this type of obstacle and hindrance to the free flow of traffic. Of course it is possible to run out of petrol or diesel fuel in a conventional car but with typically 3 to 4 times the range on a full tank, it probably happens far less frequently.