Liquid air fresheners - warning - Oz
Not sure I ever needed an air freshener in my car anyway, but a year or so ago I tried one of these aromatic oil-containing ones that clips to the grille in your air vent. Unfortunately a tiny dribble of the oil escaped on to the dashboard plastic and light switch. Result: paint removed from plastic and switch rendered inoperative (stuck). The air freshener manufacturers warn against the aggressive effects of these oils - believe them. Cost £££'s to replace the switch assembly. :-(
Oz (as was)
Liquid air fresheners - warning - slefLX
So that's why the fan switch on my previous car didn't work? :-P

Actually I only tried the liquid air fresheners once and didn't think much of it. Mine fell off the grille a couple of times with the obviuos result of oil on the carpet etc - never again. I'll stick to my wooden fruits.
Liquid air fresheners - warning - THe Growler
Buy the solid ones in the tins where you peel off the top and put them under the seat..
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Armitage Shanks{P}
I got a spillage from one of these *mbi Pure things on top of my TV! It has left a useful and unique mark which may help me identify it if it is stolen! Otherwise I agree, they are a pain!
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Nsar
Top tip - don't waste money on air fresheners at a quid a throw or more, buy a packet of those funny sheets that you put in your tumble drier which allegedly make your clothes smell like they've come off the washing line - Bounce I think is one brand but don't confuse it with the dog food of the same name. Pop one under your seat - they last quite a few weeks and actually give a fresh smell rather than "nuclear pine"

I think I'm going to change my user name to Feu Orange
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Ian (Cape Town)
I'll stick to my wooden fruits.

Reminds me of the blonde who drove down the road, swerving left and right.
When pulled by the Plod, she explained she was trying to avoid the pine trees.
Her air-freshener was swinging about ...
Liquid air fresheners - warning - nick
To keep a car sweet-smelling, just don\'t smoke or pass wind in it!
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Flat in Fifth
To keep a car sweet-smelling, just don\'t smoke or pass wind in it!

or carry curry, fish & chips etc etc etc...

and whatever you do if you are carrying milk make sure its storage position is totally totally totally spill and bomb proof.(1)

(1) The latter might be difficult if USA military are in the vicinity. :-(((((((((((

Liquid air fresheners - warning - FFX-DM
Don't leave your cup of Earl Grey on the dash when you leave the car park and drive onto the Channel Tunnel train, oops.

One of those oil based air fresheners leaked in my bedroom and dissolved the varnish from the top of my chest of drawers and what's more I had to put up with extra strong synthetic scnets until it finally calmed down. Yuk! It does not suprise me that the stuff digests car plastic.

I reckon you should just fill your foot-wells with kitty litter and that would absorb all sorts of nasty odour and spills. :-)

Little yellow pine tree for me! I can only stand the 'vanilla' or 'spice' versions, although they both make my eyes water when new.
Liquid air fresheners - warning - corblimeyguvnar
take care with those binkin pine tree thingumefresheners
hung one on the ashtray on my nice focus zetec silvery dash, now no longer silvery as the chemicals in the tree dissolved it, not amused
Drink Lager Talk Piffle
Liquid air fresheners - warning - BobbyG
Anybody know how you get that new car smell??
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Carole
>Anybody know how you get that new car smell??

Buy a new car? (sorry, couldn't resist.)
Liquid air fresheners - warning - BobbyG
Once I've bought the new car, how do I get the smell out of it to put into mine?????
Liquid air fresheners - warning - THe Growler
This came up in another thread. I got from Walgreens in the US (thats Boots to you) Medo "New Car Scent" - $2.50 per, plus tax. Look for it in UK. It's good stuff.

Delivers early overtones of recently installed cheap vinyl overlaying a more subtle bouquet of tantalising faux leather with a hint of vinyl, before revealing a deeper and slightly elusive redolence of delivery driver's lunch against a background of rubber mat.

Good for spraying all around the inside after you've given your secretary a ride home before taking the Ball and Chain for her needlework class....will beat most after-odours, although "Eternity", as its name suggests, can be tough to get rid of. Suggest you use her car in such cases.
Liquid air fresheners - warning - frostbite

"although they both make my eyes water when new"

Doesn't that tell you anything? They are petro-chemical based and about as healthy as glue-sniffing!

Liquid air fresheners - warning - FFX-DM
"Doesn't that tell you anything? They are petro-chemical based and about as healthy as glue-sniffing!"

I didn't think that we were considering the health giving merits of air fresheners, just the nasty or nice niffs and plastic dissolving abilities. It's not as if I am eating the things! Anyhow, I bet the fuel fumes, exhaust gases etc contain more health damaging elements than me little pine trees.

Okay, I am off to source some recycled, non-bleached cardboard to soak in 100% pure essential oils, before cutting it (with round ended scissors) into a tree shape and hanging it by a hand spun linen string...
>> I'll stick to my wooden fruits.
>>
>>
Reminds me of the blonde who drove down the road, swerving
left and right.
When pulled by the Plod, she explained she was trying to
avoid the pine trees.
Her air-freshener was swinging about ...

Yes, but I hang mine from the handle by the rear passenger side door. Also means there's very little chance of it touching anything to dissolve it.
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Cyrill666 {P}
Except your rear passenger! lol, sorry.
Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Liquid air fresheners - warning - Tomo.
Nowadays more than ever, when we don't have all the work of turning the handle, I suggest if something - or someone - makes a smell in the car, just open the window.

Tomo
One problem is that a lot of the smells come in from the outside - exhaust fumes, chemical pollution (factories etc) organic pollution (think cows), Chines/Indian/Fast Food take-aways, the local toe-rags creating bonfires on every available square metre of land...... I could go on.

Anyway we need other smells to mask these, even if they are synthetic smells - especially if we drive with our windows open.